Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dual carbs on a 235 str8 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LIL ANGE., Jun 30, 2012.

1. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

hi everyone,its been a good wile since i posted on this forum.im in the proces of rebuilding my 235 chevy, i been debating on running a offenhauser with a 2 carb set up and maybe some fenton headers. i was wonderig if anyone on here can give me a heads up on this set up. will it be a nightmare? are they really hard to tune n have running right?
    any info would help. thanks for your time.

2. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

I'm running two Rochesters on a Fenton intake with the Fenton headers. Easy to tune and no problems thus far. Have got ~3500 miles on the fresh engine.

[​IMG]

3. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

thats a nice set up, how do u like them fenton headers? im debating on the fenton intake or the offenhauser intake. love your set up

4. If it's one or the other, I'd go with the headers and dual exhaust. You should see a big improvement in low end power. There's nothing like the sound of a stovebolt with duals and glass packs!

5. gas pumper

gas pumper

dual intake and exhaust really helps the 235's

I have the floats set 1/8" lower than spec to help the splash over from the accelerator pump rod. Jets are in the 50's (actually 52). Very easy to get running nice, even without one of them balancer tools. And it's prettty much no touch once it's running good. No need to constantly fiddle with them. Very drivable under all conditions. Manual choke on rear carb only. No carb heat and no problem.

Frank

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  6. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

I went with the Fenton headers & intake because I got a lot of the parts from Patrick's Antique Auto. They told me that if you use the Offy intake with the fenton headers there would be some fiddling to get them to fit together. As it was both fell right together. Love the headers and the sound. I think in the future I will swap the leaky Rochesters for some 94's.

7. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

very helpful information here, im gonna wait for the next car swap meet n see what i can find. does anyone know of a good website i can purchase the dual carb set up or fenton headers?

8. I'm currently working on my 235 from 1956. It's getting a dual D&S intake and Fenton headers. Right now it looks like this though!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

Attached Files:

9. 'Mo

'Mo

If you don't want to search the * Bay, Patrick's can hook you up.
    GREAT customer service!

http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/chevy_parts.html

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto the Fenton headers and glass packs.......Bitchin' sound !!!!!!!!!!!!! Especially with full length tailpipes.

4TTRUK

11. That's right. Patrick is the best and he some how seem to know everything!
    The Fenton headers from "mother trucker" is great, cheap and he's one of our own people!

12. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

nice

13. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

14. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

im gonna look into it, thanks the prices are un beatable

15. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

now is there a difference between the fenton intake n the offenhauser intake. i plan on using fenton headers for sure. i was told by one guy at a local cruise night if u go offy intake with the fenton headers u will have to do a lil grinding to make em fit. anyone have to do that?
    im almost leaning towards the fenton intake , since i plan on goin with fenton headers

16. If you have to go out and buy it anyway you might as well go Fenton all the way!

17. vinnymac44

vinnymac44
    from W. Oregon

This is what Patrick lead me to believe, so I just went with the Fenton intake.

18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Nothing against Offy, (I have their heads and intake on my 8BA...) ...but their prices have been higher than others,..and Fenton has a very good track record for quality items. The thinking used to be "stay with one mfgr", but for some items, that may not be very important.

4TTRUK

19. lucky53

lucky53

The guy that told you will need to do some grinding to make them fit is right.

You will need to grind and weld the "Clamps" that hold both manifolds to the head. If you run Offy Intake and Fenton Headers.

The reason for this is the Offy Intake manifold and the Fenton exhaust manifolds have different thickness on the flanges that bolts them to the head.

If you run the Fenton Intake with the Fenton Headers the flanges are both the same thickness. So they bolt directly on.

It's nice to put "Studs" in the Head also.

What ever you decide to do will be cool.

Here are a few pictures of my 235 with Offy Intake & Fenton Headers. I put studs in the head and welded and ground the "clamps" to make them fit right.

Attached Files:

20. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

great info, i now know what im up against if i deicde to go with a offy intake. is it something i can do my self or would i have to send it out?
    did u have to grind it off n relocate it?

21. jmh

jmh

Running Offy intake and Fenton headers and did not put studs in head or do any welding.. Just a little grinding on the clamps.. Seems ok here!! John

22. gas pumper

gas pumper

Me, too. If you blow up the picture I posted earlier on this thread you can see the altered clamp. near the front. simple fix.

23. lucky53

lucky53

This is a great Picture of the Offy Intake with Fenton Headers.

You can see how the "Clamps" need to be modified to fit the different thicknesses of the Intake Manifold & Exhaust Manifolds.

The "Clamps" I keep referring to (That's what G.M. called them) are the pieces that the hold both the Intake & Exhaust Manifolds to the Head. They are the parts that have bolts going thru them into the Head in this picture.

That's the pieces that will need to be modified.

So you do not need to weld or put studs in your head to do this Set up.

I just did it because I'm anal & I have a sickness!!!

Thanks to USMILE4 on the H.A.M.B.! I stole this picture from a post of his.

Attached Files:

24. sixinarowjoe

sixinarowjoe
    from eastcoast

Running 2 rochester b carbs on a mcgurk intake with fenton headers on my 51 coupe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. fbama73

fbama73

Lucky53- that engine is straight up beautiful! That's exactly how I want mine to look!

Sixinarowjoe- yours ain't nothing to sneeze at, either!

26. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

Hey bro if I were to do it all over again I would go with the Fenton/Fenton set-up, it's made to run together and looks great!! I sold my car with the 6 and went with a 350/350 combo and really miss tinkering with the old stovebolt. Also calling Patrick was the smartest thing I could do-his wife knew more about these engines than most here on the board!! He also set me up with the linkage kit, and alt brackets...

27. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

28. LIL ANGE.

LIL ANGE.
    from Long Beach

well i fianlly made up my mind and decided to go with fenton headers and offy dual carb intake.i got my headers tuesday and my intake earlier today.
    [​IMG]
    with work finaly in effect and pickin up i can finally put money towards my project.with my 235 being rebuilt,the few goodies i got and the money i have saved up i beieve im off to a good start.

my only question is ,what carbs are everyone(Jmh,gas pumper,lucky53,) running on there dual carb set ups. thanks in advance

29. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

everyone that posted pictures with carbs is running Rochesters...
    I just plumbed fuel lines yesterday but the one in the front is dry as desert and the one in the back is spitting fuel... this afternoon I'll get back to it and see if I can fix it!