Register now to get rid of these ads!

700R4 behind oldsmobile

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ago, Jul 1, 2012.

1. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Any good ideas for adapting a Chevy 700 R4 to an Oldsmobile block. Different bellhousing pattern.

Ago

2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

If it is a 68 up olds block you could use a 200R4, most have a multipattern case that does chevy and BOP. Cheaper than using an adapter unless you are set on using a 700r4. I have close to a dozen of them if you need a core to build.

3. bobscogin

bobscogin

I think there are adapter plates available, but if you don't already have the transmission, maybe consider a TH2004r. They have a multi pattern housing that works with Chevy or BOP.

Bob

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Art Carr has built 200s to handle 700hp. Save $$ on a Wilcap adapter and adapt a 700, or use a 200 built right and it bolts right up.

Attached Files:

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You don't say what year/model Olds engine you have. If it's one of the earlier versions with the partial integral bellhousing on the engine, Bendtsen's in MN (www.transmissionadapters.com) has an adapter. But, that ends up making a engine/trans combo that veeery long.

If you have the later type with the shorter block configuration, Bendtsens may have that too and possibly Wilcap has such an offfering. Generally these are for Chev pattern cases, so a 700R4 would work fine with the adapter. I bought one from Wilcap for a Cadillac and had it drilled for both BOP and Chevy.

As has been mentioned, the 2004R cases are all multifit with both Chev and BOP patterns.

Ray

6. bobscogin

bobscogin

And the TH700r4 is weaker than the 4L80e, but that misses the point. The o.p. didn't say what the application was, but for anything short of outright drag racing, thr 2004r may be strong enough and a direct fit to the BOP pattern.

Bob

7. A BOP to Chevy adapter is common and cheap.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

2004R transmissions are routinely being built to handle high horsepower applications and the idea that a 700 is ALWAYS superior to a 200 is obsolete......

Ray

9. I understand what the O.P. is after but it is apparent the some others may not. The O.P. is asking about adapting the 700 to an Olds engine while others are trying to convince him to go to a tranny that in stock form was put in a 6 cylinder car with 276 horse at its best. Now you mention drag racing, well if the 200 was such a good tranny then why didn't GM ever put one in a Vette? They never did and a Vette is not built for drag racing.

The bottom line is the O.P. wants to do the correct thing and install a 700 in his build. How about if the advise offered pretained to that and not something else.

Yea, if you want to spend over 2 grand to have it hold up!

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

NOT TRUE.............but since YOU are not the OP....waddayacare?? :D

11. 200R4s came in V8 powered midsize and full size GM cars through the 1980s; I saved one out of an '87 Pontiac station wagon when I junked it. They were GM's lighter duty automatic overdrive, true, but they can be built to stand up behind a 455.

12. Well back then a V8 didn't have much horsepower. The 1987 350-V8 in the Vette only have 230 horse. Hell todays 4 cylinders have more than that. That 200 you saved out of that Pontiac had a horsepower rating of about 180 horse. You don't need a good tranny for that kind of meger/anemic power. Although they use to blow trannys in those cars back then.

13. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Thanks for the replies. My buddy already has a rebuilt Chevy 700R4 and the car is a 1968 Oldsmobile cutlass 350 Olds V8. I guess an adapter plate is in order.

Ago

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Well, you are alot closer to a bolt on that it seemed....since the year and model wasn't indicated originally.

The locating dowel pins and the lower bolts are in the same location on Chev and BOP applications. What is commonly done is this instance of using one pattern on the other, is a thin steel plate that provides holes for both patterns, and spacers for the torque converter drive lugs, of the same thickness as the 'adapter' plate to position the converter correctly. Speedway, Jegs, Summit all have such an 'adapter' readily available and it is very inexpensive.

Ray

15. 55yak

55yak

I'm real happy with my Bendstens Transmission adapter from my 57 Pontiac to a 700R-4. They do Olds and all engines and comes complete with everything you need. Kinda spendy but nice. Look them up online, they are out of Minnesota.
    55Yak

16. Ah, but the money you're saving in wear & tear on your engine plus the gas savings all due to the lower RPM's the car is running is more than paying for itself.

17. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i'm pretty sure i have an Olds 700 that came from a running car. PM me. mike roman