Register now to get rid of these ads!

sunchaser shrinking disc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the metalsurgeon, Jun 29, 2012.

1. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Probably in the wrong section and probably will get deleted.Sorry

So my shrinking disc is totally worn out and need a new one.My finned shrinking disc comes from Sunchaser tools in LA,so called the guy up and he will only sell me a batch of 6 discs for $510 plus postage..Works out to be $85 each pp. Im going to take 2,anyone else interested?

Send me a pm if so.thanks

My weekly metalwork blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wtf kind of way is that to run a business? I bought a single disc a few years back after I wore out my first one, wonder what has changed?

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

have you used the ones without the ripples? I don't see how they could work as well. seems like the ripples would generate more heat.

4. I think I would be looking for another source of disks because that is horseshit making someone buy 6 of them at a time.

5. matt73

matt73
    from va

Was going to order one from sunchaser a while back but they were not on the website anymore. I just figured he stopped making them (heard there was a problem with cracking?). Bought one from Wray Schelin on ebay. Works great!!

6. no55mad

no55mad

He was at the LARS

7. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

He was difficult and upset on the phone .Upset people were buying his discs,but not buying his metal shaping classes.

So he said he wasnt selling them anymore ,then later in the conversation he would sell me 6.

The deal with the ribbed is that the pocket cool while the rib heats,versus a smooth disc that just heats.

I wish someone else would make and sell this product!

My weekly metalwork blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

8. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

That my friend is a very fair point! No one else to my knowledge sells this style

9. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Mine has started cracking,but i have had it 5 years and used it alot. Its a great product ,impression i got ,he thinks he should bean instant millionaire from it.

10. Wow you might want to keep all 6 for yourself because with that type of attitude he won't be in the business of selling any of them for much longer

11. metalman

metalman

I been using Sunchaser shrinking disks for 20 years or so, on my 3rd one now, yeah they crack after awhile making them scary to use but a great tool anyway.
    Every time I've order another from him he seemed like it was a bother to sell me one, like I was wasting his time. Always wondered about his attitude, sounds like it's getting worst!

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This is from John Kelly's website, he no longer makes them, but may be useful if this other dude is a pain..

I no longer make shrinking discs. Please contact Wray Schelin at [email protected] for a high quality shrinking disc made by the professional metalshaper who first suggested using a flat disc. There are numerous rip-off copycats out there.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've read about shrinking disks for years, never saw one in use, are there any vedios of them in use? Bob

14. J. Clear

J. Clear

We did a comparison a while back at one of the metalmeets. The Sunchaser one did work a little better. The type that Wray makes has a lip on it. It doesn't flex like the Sunchaser one does. That could be why it didn't work quite as fast. Wray's type is safer and still works well. If the Sunchaser is difficult to get this would be a good alternative.

J.

15. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

No he wasn't, he only had a sign but he never showed.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

he does have a chip on his shoulder about the disc. I bought the whole kit with a video the first time, the second one I got at Pleasanton Goodguys a few years back. I asked his helper for one and he had to check with him, he remembered me from when I bought the first one and I have talked to him a couple times since.

guess he figures the best way to keep people from stealing his idea is not to sell them anymore.

17. matt73

matt73
    from va

Sunchaser guy didnt invent the disk he got from Scott Knight. Not trying to bash Sunchaser. Just hate it when history gets all blury

18. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Oh, ken,sunchaser guy told me he invented the disc.so do you have any contact info on Scott Knight ?

19. matt73

matt73
    from va

Have an old Street Rodder 88 or 89 maybe that had an article on Scott Knights metal shaping class. I think he was a Cal Metal Shaping guy. Showed his Yoder and stuff. Had a side bar on shrinking disc and it was the serrated one. Was told bye a reputable source that he sold the deal to the Ken. Timothy Bartons books have something about them going back even further 30's maybe. Shootin from the hip a little. Sorry i dont have any info on Scott Knight currently

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

If John Kelly is out of the picture that is sad. He is the real deal (as in no bullshit, just facts) when it comes to the disc.

Frank

21. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

22. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

I'm cheap! I make my own out of 14ga stainless. No safety lip, just dimple the center. Still works like a charm 5 years later! Just have to be careful.:D

23. striper

striper

I thought I read somewhere about a guy using a stainless saucepan lid. That's cheap! Would it work? I have a few.

24. unkamort

unkamort

Me too! I can't understand how this works

25. You work the dent out with hammer and dolly, as usual. You then run the disc over the area. The high spots heat up from the friction. When they turn blue, you slap on a wet rag to shrink them

26. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

Yes, he was there, I talked to him for almost an hour. He is a little frustrated by the whole disc and how to video thing, but it's because he said he invested a lot into it all and the return just wasn't much. In fact he lost money and he said the time it took on the phone took him away from doing metal work, costing him more money in the long run. Also his classes had the potential of just creating competition, so he said he's just going to consentrate on doing what he does best - very nice metal work. I wanted to get one of his metal working DVD's, but he didn't have any more. So if anyone has one for sale PM me, thanks.

27. Jen......

Jen......

been looking for one of these for awhile , didnt know who still had them will subscribe to thread

Jen

28. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

A year or two back we had quite a lively post on Sunchaser, Ken, his business pratices etc. here on the HAMB. You may wanna hunt it up from the archeives?

The serrated disc face does work jus marginally faster, but I wouldn't go outa my way to own another over the smooth faced ones.:D Inna a pinch, a dead 60 grit closed coat disc will work!

" Humpty Dumpty was pushed "

29. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Years ago I borrowed a Sunchaser from a guy in the Body Shop in the Dealership that I worked. That tool worked super. I wished I would have bought one back then. I had need of one again, talked to the old body man (he since has retired), and he had gotten rid of it. I called sunchaser, and got the same BS, just doing classes, and no longer makes, or sells that tool. I bought a flat one, it works, but not like the sunchaser does. Oh well, hind sight is always better than foresight