Register now to get rid of these ads!

105° outside

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henry29, Jun 28, 2012.

1. rc32tx

rc32tx

I start welding on my truck at 7 am in a uninsulated shop space with the shop
    fan off. At 11 am, it starts to get humid and hot everywhere inside the shop.
    At 12 pm I have lunch and call it a day. Once, I worked through 3 pm and
    almost got heatstroke. I couldn't lower my body temp that evening even
    with a cold shower and plenty of water.

It's best to work early am and/or after sundown.

2. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

OK that's it,too much smoke and heat here,( We are all ) moving to California , heard there is GOLD in them there Ca mountains and the weather is perfect with a cool breeze off the ocean.Pack the bags, load the pickup darlin ,we are a hedin ta California ! LOL , must be nice there but I am sure we will survive it's only 103 today. LOL .

3. Been very nice here for the last week although we did have a few days over 100 earlier this month. Weather is sure mixed up this year, I hope we don't freeze at Speed Week.

4. We finally reached 110 here yesterday. That's August weather here and it is still rare to see temps over 105. They say that we should stay hot and dry for at least another 15 days. That kind of screws the firemen for the forth.

I'll bet the police actually enforce the no fireworks in town law this year.

5. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

So far not as bad as last year. Had weeks of 100+ degree days in a row. We got to 112 one day. That is kinda hot.

6. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

The part that drives me crazy is trying to work on bare metal and dripping sweat all over it.

7. i get on the hamb and drink beer

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

Right at 90 during the day and 70's at night in the Florida Pan Handle. Cooler at the beach with a nice on shore breeze off the Gulf.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got one of those on a stand that I use and they do move a lot of air.

I tried to work in the evening after the sun started to go down but the mosquitoes ran me in the house all too quickly.

I don't have room in the garage for a car so I have to work outside in the sun if I want to get anything done. I think the plan for today is to put the carport tent thing back up so I can have some shade.

10. Goodlife

Goodlife

Here in the "Wheat State" we had an early harvest because of the warm spring weather with good yields, but the extreme heat we are having now is not doing the corn any good from what my father-in-law tells me.

Been waiting on a part and according to the tracking info it should be here today so I guess I will be out in the garage installing it so I can move to the next step. Been waiting for days and it's finally here. I think it will be about 102 degrees, but with the fan it is tolerable. Used to work in the fields when I was younger and not think anything about it.

Got the dash painted and the firewall, so the power plant will go back in soon. starting to see some progress on the 40.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  11. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I'm taking a break until about September.

It's been close to or over 100 here for the last week, supposed to get worse this weekend and next week. I paint for a Gov't contractor. Spraying in our improvised "booth" (un-insulated metal building with an exhaust fan) is kinda like working in a pre-heated oven.

Upside is the paint cures real quick. Downside is I come out looking and feeling like an old dishrag.

12. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

Its hotter then normal here. I work outside on blacktop as a yad man for a trucking company. I have asthma, and my boss bitched me out for spending a few minutes between hooks in the A/C breakroom. LoL.

I am having a ruff go of it. I pray my A/C at the house keeps goin. This humidity is whats gettin me light headed.

13. jrt49box

jrt49box

61 degrees in the shop this morning .... where is my coat?:eek::D

14. Around here, Summer sucks. If one gets up around 4:30am to work in the shop, then it's nice at 70 degrees. By 10am, though, it's in the upper 90s, and the heat just sucks the life out of me anymore. So, it's Spring and Fall for me, so far as serious wrenching on stuff. I need to get my new dropped axle under my Dodge Sweptline pickup, so Saturday am at 5am, I'll be under the truck installing it.

We had 70 days straight last year of 100-degree-plus highs. Miserable doesn't begin to describe that level of pain. I used to love hot weather, but not these days.

15. slowmotion

slowmotion

Started staining my deck around 6:30 this morning, quit at 11:30, damn near died, and it ain't done yet. Temp isn't close to peaking yet for today. Hotternerasumbich out there.

16. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

I just consider it as getting prepared for the heat at Bonneville in august

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

105*? Thats only 41*C, thats not hot, not yet anyway! Try lugging your own bodyweight around for several months outdoors in average of 46-51* (115-124*F) then you can complain about heat!
    But then again if it gets below 20*C (70*F) I run like a little bitch, that shit is just tooooooooo cold!

Doc.

18. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I prefer to work outside mainly due to fear of grinding or welding sparks catching something on fire. I start early and my body adjusts as the day warms up. I do not go into the a/c for breaks. Drink lots of water. If you start on the beer or sodas too early-you're toast. I used to be an insulation contractor. We worked in attics during these temps. Sam

19. henry29

henry29

Wasn't really complaining just getting really sick, light headed, nauseous.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  20. 46poncho

46poncho
    from Indiana

gonna be over a hundred again today in Indiana. I am going to start working at night when it is cooler and sleep during the day!

21. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey man, I'm just playin' no one likes heat like that! I'm sure I spent many a day wandering about those frigging desert's with yesterdays lunch down my shirt! (MREs smell even worse second time round!):D

Doc.

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

In Tucson we have it better than most of you guys are complaining about it seems.
    We're mostly used to it and its just another day at the office. I wear a sun shirt most of the time. Thats a light long sleeve loose shirt. My new boss came in the other day and was amazed that I was in an uncooled warehouse wearing a jacket.
    Swell, she's already confused.
    HEY DOC,,,,,Extreme desert training ringing a bell there Bro??????????

23. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Living in North Western Minnesota helps alot, but then again, I start whinning about the heat at 75, let alone 105. No worries, winter is coming soon!

24. Just got back from having lunch with the missus, seemed like a good idea at the time. 24 miles one way.

Guess what I figured out, stay on the intrstate to keep the air moving and there are just not enough windows to roll down to stay cool once it hits 105+ in the city. Even as dry as this year has been it is still humid. Ambient temp + humidity, bad combination.

25. outlaw256

outlaw256

i just looked at the temp in the shop 112 yesterday was almost 118 for about 2 hrs then started dropping as the sun went behinmd some trees. going out in a couple hrs to try to work.we went out about 700 last nit stayed until 12.midnite building a sbc.cant take the heat anymore. never did like summer.

26. chopped

chopped

I'm thinking of going to Mexico Beach to cool down.

27. GaryM & I were at a fellow club members funeral today,,Standing for the grave side service in the direct sun was brutal,,102 degrees and a few hot rods were running hot in the funeral procession,luckily nether Gary or I had that problem.

The funeral home was passing out bottles of water when we arrived at the cemetery.HRP

28. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

83 degrees and 13% humidity here next to Pasadena at noon.....
    I'm starting to feel guilty, but we'll get our ass kicked sooner or later....but without the humidity.
    We have a large arboretum a mile from me and they have a huge greenhouse for plants that thrive on humid conditions....
    Good grief....it's like you're smothering. It's something that some people tell me that they get used to over time, ....but there's gotta be a limit.
    Like I said earlier....you guys are tough cookies...

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Extreme? That was just normal training!

Doc.

30. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

I work in the evening.