Register now to get rid of these ads!

Our 1956 Mercury...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbrown, Jun 28, 2012.

1. gbrown

gbrown

Below are a few pictures of my father and mine's latest car accusation. Its a 1956 Mercury 2 door hardtop and I'm pretty much in love with it. Although it looks bone stock on the outside under the hood is a very different story. Under the hood is a brand new crate motor 383 chevy small block chevy. It also has power disk brakes, power steering, ac and all the amenities. I think our only plans for it are to swap out the wire baskets for some 57 caddy hub caps we have hanging on the wall, and lowering it a bit. Once we do that I plan on driving the tires and wheels off of it. More pictures to come.

Thanks

-Quentin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

leave it as is. The wires are cool.

3. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

4. fine me

fine me

:cool:
    That's one great car, Quentin!

Always loved the Merc's.

:)

5. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Good looking car...but you really should pull that motor and drop a Y-block back in it...just my ¢2. Lol

6. jazzfidelity

jazzfidelity

she''s a beauty.. are the wire wheels stock? if not 57 cads with blue inserts would look nice.. otherwise leave as is..

7. gbrown

gbrown

No can do. I really dislike wire wheels.

Thank you.

Thanks.

LOL. Probably pass on that suggestion.

I do not believe the wire wheels are stock. We are pretty much going to leave it as is, just needs to be lowered a little.

8. Quentin, PLEASE do a decent photo shoot of the car BEFORE you scrap the wires.....I love the looks of the car and would love to have some Wallpaper quality photos of it before and after the work gets done. Get the bad boy into the yard and shoot some images......!! Great Looking car! Centurion9

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  9. Finally, a Monterey without added Montclair trim under the windows!!!! Or, finally, a Montclair with the window trim removed!!! Either way, I'm a happy Dude! This is one worth watching....!

10. Great looking Merc!

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Great looking car.. I agree, get rid of the wires.....

12. gbrown

gbrown

Thanks. I plan on trying to get some better photos of it before we do anything to it.

Monterey

Thanks

Finally someone on myside.

13. belair

belair

great looking car

14. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Nice car but why the 383 chevy?

15. gbrown

gbrown

Not really for sure why the original builder placed that motor in there as compared to any other motor. I would venture to say he either already had it or got a great buy on it. Either way I'm totally fine with it. I'm not a hood popper so as long as the hoods not up no one would ever know.

16. Continental Kit staying or leaving town? I'll wait for you to ask my opinion.....Hurry though....Mid-60's and not feeling too well today..........waiting...........:)

17. gbrown

gbrown

That is a matter of difference of opinions for my father and I. I want it to go my father wants it to stay. I would say it will stay on for awhile and then after a year or so it might get removed. What is your opinion? Also, I'm impressed you saw it. I was kind of trying to hide the fact that it had it on there in these photos.

18. Q...if it's a respect thing, I'd leave it to honor your Dad, at least for awhile. If it was my car, I'd get rid of it ASAP. I grew up in that era and liked them early on, but now they all look the same to me...(like Fuzzy Dice) Let's just pretend you gifted the car to me this week......Kit gone. Drive it without for a year or two with the '57 Caddy Hubcaps in place, then, drop the front-end about 4 inches, pull the Skirts, and install a set of Lakes Plugs ( cut-outs, etc) in the Front Wheel Wells,Fill the antenna hole, Louver the Hood, Nose and Deck and reverse the process when you get tired of it. Thanks for asking....I've been staring at my PC for 2 hours......:)

19. Gbrown, what a nice 56! I really have a soft spot in my heart for 56 Montereys.

Here is a pic of the 56 I had when I was much younger. This was at a outdoor show my car club put on in 1960. I think Centurion will approve, although mine was lowered a lot more than just 4", it did have a built Y-block, 3 speed and had the requisite lake plugs in the wheelwells.(covered by the show display)

Mick

Attached Files:

20. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

nice ride but what was the net for?

21. gbrown

gbrown

Nice car. I really like the stance.

22. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I bought a 52 Ford awhile back that had a 350 Chevy in it.. Took 3 Y-block valve covers and cut both ends off of one about 2" longer than the ends of the ones I was going to use.. welded them up and slide them down over the Chevy covers and everyone thought it was a Y-Block.. Chevy and Y-block both have distributor in the back..Was that hokey?? Probably, but fooled a lot of people and I felt better when I opened the hood and the valve covers said Ford..

23. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

^^^^^^^^Thats good right there.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

24. Great Mercury Mick.....The Lincoln caps look great....I had a Persimmon and White '56 myself. The license Plate frame says the car came from a Dealership in Southgate, CA . This should be an inspiration to all the Mercury guys...Mild is Better....Thanks for posting it!...

25. gbrown

gbrown

Thats a pretty good idea. Like I said earlier both father and I are not ones to open the hood at car shows so probably won't ever be that big of deal for us.

26. sr808

sr808

Very nice car.

27. I love the car!!! Keep the wires! Get a y block.

28. gbrown

gbrown

Thanks!

Thanks! I think I'll pass on the swapping in the y block.

29. StrickV8

StrickV8

The Big M! Need we say more...

30. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Very nice ride ! Saw a Montclair just like it at a Memorial Day show here in St. Louis. That color works very well on those.

As far as the Continental Kit...keep it for awhile in honor of your Dad. Then sell it on eBay to a hardcore Merc restorer. Even in the "Golden Age" of kustoms they only really looked good when the rear quarters were extended to "frame" them. Otherwise they just look "tacked-on".

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net