Register now to get rid of these ads!

Refill cans of R-12 A/C refrigerant... what can I legally do with them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BHfanGB, Jun 27, 2012.

1. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

A few years ago, I was offered the contents of a garage. Mostly junk, but among the bits and pieces were several cans of R-12 automotive A/C refrigerant. At the time, I owned a vintage musclecar resto project that I planned to use the R-12 for, but I sold the car and now I have the cans of R-12. Can I legally offer them for sale or am I asking for legal trouble? They are the small cans that parts stores used to sell to consumers so they could recharge their systems themselves.

2. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Send them to me, I'll take care of them.

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

I'm closer, send them here:D

4. Yes you can sell them.

5. bab59

bab59

Try your parts store or garage in town. People still are wanting and buying R12.
    They are worth something just take them a sample.
    Do not Discard them

6. You can relieve yourself of potential liability by asking potential buyers to provide you with a copy of their EPA 608 "Universal" or 609 "Automotive" certification for the possession and use of refrigerants.

7. squirrel

squirrel

the MACS card? I think I have one around here somewhere...I took a test 20 years ago to get it so I could buy the stuff.

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Yeah, what ^ he said!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what it goes for now but I was offered about 15 bucks for the can that I have out in the garage ten years ago. I'm not sure why I didn't sell it then.

10. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Just bought 10lbs for $100 and that was a steal...I see it on Craigslist at $20/can typically.

11. chillywilly

chillywilly

I work in refrigeration. Having someone produce the appropriate certification is the best way to stay out of trouble. However you obviously severely limit your buyers pool. As far as cost goes...refrigerants have made a very steady and sometimes drastic rise so you can probably sell them for decent money. If you have any to discard and the the canister is EMPTY...bang a hole in it and it is no more than scrap metal. I could check current value if you desire ....shoot me a pm

12. squirrel

squirrel

looking at ebay completed auctions, it's selling for $30-35/can plus shipping right now.

13. Not worth a damn thing!

Everyone is converting to 134a!

Toss 'em!

When's garbage day? :D

14. jack orchard

jack orchard

If they are worthless, why are they selling for an average of $20 a 12oz. can on EBAY(plus shipping)?
    That's not how i define worthless...jack

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  15. Ha Ha!

There's an ass for every seat! :D

What I'd like to know is how do you ship freon?

I thought you can't ship things like this. :confused:

16. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

I just bought a 30 pounder off craigs list for $10.00 a pound, that less than I can buy 134 for.
    Sell them on CL and you wont have to ship

17. They are like liquid gold, do some research and sell 'em!

18. 73RR

73RR

I just bought some off of ebay and the seller is shipping USPS.

19. Judd

Judd

EPA fine if your caught not disposing of them properly!

21. Unless you have an EPA liscence I doubt that you can legally own them so I suppose selling them shouldn't be a problem. ;)

I guess if you wanted to do everything up to par you would need to start a log book and then sell them to someone that is liscensed, keeping track of every ounce. But I don't see that happening.

22. squirrel

squirrel

You have it backwards. You can own them, but you can't sell them.

23. rlsteel

rlsteel

Friend of mine just gave me a large container of r-12 .He just wanted it out of his garage.RLS

24. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I don't think there's a task force dedicated to the sale of R-12. Put them on craig's list. . . could probably sell a bunch a swap meet too.

25. They sell fairly well at swap meets for $15.00 p/can.

26. Actually the EPA guy in charge of making sure that everyone is up to par here has 4 states that he is required to cover. He only shows up if someone makes a complaint.

He is a pretty good old guy, I had a friend that got accused of dumping. The old guy showed up and my friends log book was a mess, maybe because he didn't practice good refigeration recycling technique? The old guy and my friend got his book sorted out and the old guy told him to keep it straight and he would be back in a year. A year later to the day eh showe dup and check the fellas log then told him well I guess you haven't been dumping after all.

27. squirrel

squirrel

It must be pretty difficult, keeping folks from throwing away stuff that's worth $20/pound.

28. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Hmm.... I wonder if I could SELL something to someone and then GIVE them the R-12 as part of the deal? That way I wouldn't be selling it, merely giving it to someone who bought maybe a used hubcap for my daughter's Olds Ciera for $30 and I gave him a can of R-12. Hmmmm......

29. HamD

HamD

My experience has been craigslisters like to flag it unless you're crafty with the listing words.

It does sell.

I'm waiting for 5 more degrees heat to offload my cans.

30. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Here's a case where you can do the right thing and make money, too, by selling it to a professional AC mechanic instead of some swap meet or craigslist dude. My friend is in the trade and he says they make a substitute but it's not as good and it's real expensive.

Not to get all 'tree-hugger" on ya, but this stuff is really bad for the ozone layer (look it up), but it still can be used by professionals that capture and recycle the stuff instead of venting it into the air. It's getting hard to come by so I think it's pretty valuable.