Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 c10 build.. finally!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jdeshler, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Frankly it intimidated me when I popped the cap off but with lots of pictures and 'attempted' patients I'm gonna give her a whirl.. Cross you're fingers for me!:D

2. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

started off today by moving the crossmember to meet the shorter v8/3speed tranny mount, it was about 2 inches off
    [​IMG]
    an hour later after i finally got the rivets cut out..
    [​IMG]
    drilled out and ready to take the mount
    [​IMG]
    here it is mounted forward.. i believe im gonna have to find a longer drive shaft.. i wasnt too comfortable with this..
    [​IMG]
    im also going to have to shim the mount up about an inch or so to clear the crossmember better..
    [​IMG]
    had to jerry around the linkage some but its good as new!:D
    [​IMG]
    now its about time for me to put the cab on to see what it all looks like so i cut the body mounts out of an old chipwood conveyor belt.
    [​IMG]
    got some sandin and color in the cab so you guys can see the color scheme im lookin for.. and dont worry, this things gonna get real paint soon!! the spraypaint is just to keep it from rustin back for now..
    [​IMG]
    comin together..
    [​IMG]

3. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

A little more of that hillbilly style y'all like haha.. My hi-tech wash station
    [​IMG]

4. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Here we go!! Time to break out the trusty ol mig!
    [​IMG]

5. n847

n847

Don't catch the field on fire! I should really stop bitching about not having AC in my garage, at least I've got 4 walls and a roof!

Keep it up I'm enjoying this one!

6. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Thanks n8!! I know theres always the chance of a fire because I lost my ol 63 in a field/barn fire.. It was this same field.. Here she is btw
    [​IMG]
    Haha, if it was hot there like it is here you have the right to be pissed about ac! But a good ol pecan tree and my fan is all I need!

7. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

8. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Jdeshler,

How did you fix the "too tall" 80's motor mount problem?
    Paul

9. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

I forgot to post the fix of that! I'll go take a few pics and post em as soon I can Nash..

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  10. junior 1957

junior 1957

awesome truck! but you can't say "afro enginuity" anymore the pc phrase is "presidential engineering"

11. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Here ya go nashrodman, you see the shim between the frame and the taller mount? This isn't mine, but exactly what I did. I'll put up better pics when I get to mine
    [​IMG]

12. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Lmao!!! U got it bud.. Smh...haha..

13. junior 1957

junior 1957

did you mount your power steering gear box yet? i put one on a 67 a few years ago and had to heat the frame and beat it in to clear the sector part of the box. is that what you did or did you come up with a nicer solution?

14. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Ok, I think I get it. Its just a hunk of metal between the frame and mount. A clearer picture would be better! lol

15. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Not yet junior.. There is a guy on here that makes and sells a plate and it looks great but I dont wanna to cut my steering columb rod.. Just can't talk myself into it!! I'm thinkin of doin it with new holes and shims made out of thick walled 1/2" or so tubing to clear the flat spot in the frame... I may even whoop it in like iv seen others do.. Im gonna do it in another day or 2..

16. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

"Ok, I think I get it. Its just a hunk of metal between the frame and mount. A clearer picture would be better! lol"

Lol, it's a Internet pic zoomed wayyy in.. I'll take several good ones of mine.. That's exactly what it is is a 1" metal shim..

17. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Finally got my floor patches!!
    [​IMG]
    Got em free from an old friend of mine that owns a salvage yard.. Tells me stories of paying 100-300$ for 60's impalas and 50$ for 454's and 396's.. Makes me realize I missed my real generation by 50 years..
    Sorry or the delay btw, I had to rerun automatic waterers on our quail farm and build funnel feeders for them gals!! iv also been hidin from this 105 heat index.. That's NASTY in bama lol:D

18. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

19. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Finally got time to put a lil heat on it!! Don't judge me too hard, it's primitive but alright for lux core.. 'or at least I think so'.. To b honest this is why I like to do this myself because I'm not as quick to point a finger and a lot happier with the work
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Comparing the ol gmc hood:D (what's left)
    [​IMG]
    The nasty close up! Still gotta put the weatherstripping channel in
    [​IMG]
    Looks alright from a distance
    [​IMG]
    Looks like a pro did it from here!! Haha
    [​IMG]

I promise she'll look a little better when it's over!!! Still tryin to give her a name btw..

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  20. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Ya know, I didn't know these were soooo affordable!! I'm thinkin I may redo both sides with these... That's CHEAP considering..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any suggestions? I have no problem cutting the old work out

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  21. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Another delay.. This is somethin you folks over there on the west coast don't know too much about!! Haha.. And this is why our beloved old school steel looks like it does in bama!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad I keep that spray paint handy!!!

22. Looking good!!! don't worry about the look of your welds, as long as they penetrate well that's what you want. I'm a self taught welder and it's taken me a few years to "get the hang of it" and I'm still learning. My biggest problem is patience; waiting for the welds to cool before hitting the next one.

23. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I'd worry more about how the "new" patch panels look. Looks like a hammer was used to dent it up real good before it was welded in. There are easier ways to fit patches to contours... Id fix those. Other than that, keep it up.

24. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Thanks hivolt, iv been messin with this ol mig for a few years now.. Self taught as well! I just 'sketch' back and forth from piece to piece and burn it in good and slow.. I just lay on a light bead then go back and melt em together good.. I cant stand the tack, tack, tack way!! May b the right way for a show car but not this ol rattle can beauty! Plus iv never had bad luck with bad warping.. As much as iv read about it I can't imagine y I'm havin such luck.. That fryin sound makes me hungry every time! Haha

25. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

You're perfectly right Tulsa! I was very hesitant to put that weld patch on here because I beat it like a redhead.. I have a table over here now with a vise so these will improve.. Thanks for the consern, I hate crappy work too.. This is all a first so bear with me!! Hey, I thought the hammered effect was nice..lol:D

26. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Just gave my stash a visit!![​IMG]
    This thing had nice paint on it but the bondo job was $hi*...
    [​IMG]

27. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  28. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

I got a smiley too!! Gotta get me some Cherokee stops
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  29. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Heres what I did with the motor mounts guys!! It been raining for a week here so no real progress..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

The spacers are 1" tall..