Register now to get rid of these ads!

Craftsman tools lifetime warranty

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jbtine, Jun 27, 2012.

1. jbtine

jbtine

I took a 30' Craftsman tape measure to Sears for replacement under their so called lifetime warranty. It was one of their red with black rubber tapes. Well guess what folks.. Craftsman no longer makes tape measures. Yeah thats right, that warranty you supposedly got when you bought your tools is BOGUS, Planned obsolence. They gave me a Stanley POS to replace it free of charge, greased it up before they shoved it up my ass and sent me out the door telling I'd be buying the next tape. This isn't the first time that this has happened. The last tool I took in was a damn good 3/8" ratchet, A round head very fine tooth ratchet. Last time I had a problem Sears had a rebuild kit and had it back in good shape in minutes, I was a happy camper. They don't have the rebuild kits anymore. Now they tried to give me a cheap course replacement and I refused to take it. OFW too bad, they don't support that tool any longer. Uhh what was that? Lifetime warranty!!
    Customer service is a thing of the past. Lifetime warranty is a sales gimmick..no longer has any substance. Buy your tools elsewhere. Sears tools are no longer made for anyone with any common sence. They are making them for the homeowner that can barely hang a picture or change a tire for that matter.
    The ratchet on the left is my good one and the right one is the type they tried to pass off on me.

Attached Files:

2. cheveey57

cheveey57

I have a few of those replacement rachets and have had no issues with them. In fact I like it better you can flick it in reverse with one finger.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Beating a dead horse, this has been gone over and over....

4. jbtine

jbtine

Maybe so but it is getting worse by the day, no just an occasional problem. As Sears business gets worse so does their support.

5. 117harv

117harv

There is another thread on this started earlier today???

6. So I guess buy Snap-On for three times the money and you'll be a happy camper. The world is changing fast, get used to it cause it'll probably only go downhill from here.

7. jbtine

jbtine

Yeah Wish I had caught that one I'd have jump right in. Sorry
    It does kind of point out a problem with Craftsman doesn't it.

8. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

If you read the real fine print, It is lifetime of the tool itself as long as it is still in production. There are quite a few things like that, but when advertised it appears that you will get a new tool for as long as you own it, That is sorry to say not true. Just like i have a snap on tool that snap on no longer handles, can"t be fixed because they are no parts since it is not produced anymore, their answer == Sorry. Be glad it is just a tape instead of a $400.00 air tool.

9. jbtine

jbtine

And "probably" is a very optimistic outlook.

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Locking procedure will commence in:

3,............2,............1....... :D

11. big creep

big creep

guess what i break tape measures all the time you know what i do....................i buy a new one! they dont last forever.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

welcome to the new world. no quality, no longevity , no returns , no customer service.

13. tig master

tig master
    from up north

14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

haad two breakages with teng tool products.brought it back to my local motor factors JOE DESMOND MOTOR FACTORS replaced it on the spot no questions needless to say i still buy teng tool from joe desmond .bought craftsman tap and die set in sears in naples florida.low grade made in china shite broke one the first weak can buy quality stuff local its pricy but its quality

15. newrider3

newrider3

Uh, the style ratchet on the right is the only ratchet Craftsman has sold for 10+ years. No one I know has problems with them.

16. Ricci32

Ricci32

the ny times did an article about sears not going to be around in th next few years.

17. big creep

big creep

18. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Up here in "The Great White North" we have what is commonly known as "Crappy Tire" who also sell lifetime warranty tools. That is of course unless you use them in a professional environment, then you are shit out of luck.

I send my broken ones in with my wife, she don't know what they are and just say's "Can you replace this?". They have every time so far.

19. Get even !

Getting mad isn't going to help you.
    Buying junk won't help you.
    Bitching isn't going to help you.
    Fucking a dead whore isn't ... Whoops wrong board . I mean Whipping a dead horse isn't going to help you.

20. Gromit

Gromit

Never had a prob. I have Snap on stuff but I buy most from Canadian Tire.. Lifetime Warranty and if I break it I don't have to explain I wasn't using it as a chisle or punch, or wait 4 weeks for the stupid truck to come around.

Many store brands (sears, Canadian Tiure, Home Depot) will honour other warranties just to get you in the door anyway. There's always a way for cheapskates like me.

21. henry29

henry29

I've broke as few of them, the problems I have with them is they come out of gear while ratcheting.

22. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

23. roughneck424

roughneck424

Heck even Harbor Freight offers a warranty!!
    So they goes to show you what that will get you.

24. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I have Craftsmen tools I inherited from my Father. They are older than me (60+) and they've never broken.

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

ive had no issues with the craftsmen tools i have. i had a few old style ratchets and a few new ones. the new ones have given me no issues at all. and the sears up here in md seems to be very forgiving about the lifetime warranty on tools. they dont think twice to give a new tool out. my .02

26. salf100

salf100

Ditto for me in NorCal. Sear is good about swapping out the tools. Brought a screw driver that's slipped a bit and thought for sure they would argue but nope. No problems. My only complaint about craftsman tools is they have gotten really expensive. Have you looked at a sears catalog lately??!!

27. I've got more important things to worry about.

28. I have to agree with GreenGranade here in Md I never had a problem returning a rachet One time they gave me a higher quality than the one I broke.....well actually I bent it into the shape of a u with a three foot cheater bar...still worked well just a bit bent

29. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Customer Service.Two words which will prove instrumental in the future.

30. I Drag

I Drag

Craftsman tools have a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately, you broke it, so its lifetime is over.