Register now to get rid of these ads!

Missed a chance at one of my dream cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thor1, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just needed to whine and cry to my HAMB brethren...:(

Been looking for a '49 Buick or Cadillac fastback for a few years now that I could afford. This '49 Cadillac Sedanette was posted on Craigslist about 150 miles me last Thursday. Running, driving car with a '65 327 and 700r4 in it. Didn't see the ad til last night. Called the owner this AM and talked to him about trading my '60 Chevy Bel Air. He was interested and we were working to arrange getting together on Saturday. He called me during my lunch hour and told me the car had just been sold...story of my life.

Get this...he was asking $5995 for it. I think I'm going to go throw up now.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Does this happen to anyone else or just me?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

never wait for weekends, always leave work, load up and get there asap.

3. verde742

verde742

Like meeting your future ex-wife,, you gotta make a move, or look for the next one,,, God closes one door, opens another....

Ya get choices......

4. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my job I can't generally react that quickly with time off requests. But you're right - when something like this comes along you have to be ready to roll. I wasn't...and it cost me. Big time.:(

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Baaaaad boy. Go to your room.
    I missed a 60 F-100 the same way. It had the 223 that I need for my Galaxie.
    The guy wanted 1000 for it, running, driving.
    I waited to talk to the wife and when I did, she BLUNTLY pointed out my failure.
    We have the money, you can sell the rest, blah blah,blah.
    (sent from my room)

6. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

Yep I could have purchased a 32 truck out of indiana about 4 months ago for 23,500.... And I passed for what reason don't know.... About a month and a half ago I seen the same truck on flea bay but a different guy he had purchased the truck... The part that made me sick was he flipped it on flea bay for 46k!!

7. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, the big Iola car show is coming up here in southern Wisconsin and I suspect the car will show up for sale there at about double the price. That would probably still be a good price but is out of my price range.

8. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I saw a craiglist ad for a "1957 Chyrsler". I'd been looking for a '57-58 coupe for years. The ad was posted at 11:15; I was looking at the car two hours later. There were some negotiations, but in the end I got the car, mostly because I was so eager.

I hope you learned your lesson! :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't throw up too much. There'll be another. There was a '49 Buick sedanette for reasonable $ a while back on cr...about the same price range and condition...some assy was required...already had drivetrain mods.

How far away from you do you search? You use Search Tempest? Searches all of craigslist with filters for parameters on search distance, price range, etc.

10. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ricky,

I have been looking nationwide, but realistically I would have to probably stay within 500 miles of home. I used to use crazedlist but they got shut down. Lately I've been using Craiggers.

I don't suppose you have any more details on that Buick Sedanette that you mentioned?

Thanks,

Thor

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothin' on hand. Saw the ad months ago. I'll take a look though.

And I hear ya on the difficulties of traveling long distances.

12. nutajunka

nutajunka

I have always wanted a 57 buick special 2 dr. with the 3 windows in the rear and one popped up here it was a 4 door so I waited and it was gone before I made the call. Probably didn't need it anyway.

13. while at work today i looked at a 64 galaxie500xl hardtop pretty medium blue with white interrior auto on the floor 514fe with aluminum heads under the teardrop hood for sale for 19k if i had it id have me a galaxie right now

14. Yes, I looked for a 63-65 Riviera (my dream car) for about two years. I finally gave up, bought another car, and there was one on CL for $7500.00, and it was CLEAN, already dropped with Supremes, shaved handles, and nice paint. I felt like crying!

15. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

If you Really want it, than thats what you GOT to do..

I myself learned the hard way like you..

16. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

One of my dream cars..

You gotta seize the opportunity when it comes up. Leave nothing to chance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  17. Fenders

Fenders

Sort of sucks when you have a job where you have to request time off, rather than just call in and tell the man you'll be a day late...
    or not have to call in at all...

But another one will come along... maybe you'll have time to call in...

18. Gotgas, you are my Hero! I LOVE those cars.

19. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

i've used many "spur of the moment" vacation days to score stuff when possible. lately i've been on call and my wife working weekends is no help. luckily someone invented paypal to where i can send money to a friend in the location of where a vehicle is so that they can immediately buy the car for me asap. i just missed out on a '48 chevy coupe about an hour ago for $200.00 since the dummy wouldn't accept the $500 that i told a friend in dallas to offer the guy. i wouldn't doubt if it comes out on "fast and loud" show since it was in dallas and they seem to lowball the hell out of everyone, but that's the way it goes. if it wasn't them then i apologize but damn. LOL

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the only reasons I can think of that a person wouldn't take $500 for a car with a $200 asking price, is if they already had made a deal with someone else. In that case, I wouldn't call the seller a dummy, I'd call him a man of his word.

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the trade may have killed the deal. Are you certain it is sold? Perhaps he just wants you to think it is because he does not want your trade.

and always be on your toes and move quickly

22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

next time when at work and you find the dream deal put your finger down your throat and show the Boss that you are sick and need to go home - maybe not your home but, the sellers home. more than once have been a day late and a dollar short. once (only once) took out a big cash advance on a credit card to buy another ride for a super deal. but, I had a ride to sell that was gone in a week and paid the credit card off.

23. I already have 3 old vehicles. 1 runs and drives.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1949 Chevrolet 5 window truck in October for $1000. The truck does not run and the brake system needs gone through. The wife already said I cant buy it, but I am and will not pass up the chance.

24. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

well when he told my friend on the phone that the guy was just coming to see it and no deal was made yet, i threw 500 to my friend up in dallas to offer on the spot. guy didn't take my friend serious. i would have thrown 1200 towards that car. it's no sweat, i just move on and look for another.

25. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it's sold. The owner pulled the ads off Craigslist. Bummer!