Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fraud alert

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GJRoberts, Jun 27, 2012.

1. GJRoberts

GJRoberts

I posted a request for wanted Ford Model B Intake and Exhaust Manifolds in the Wanted Forum a couple of days ago. I got a quick response for NOS parts from an individual who wanted to be paid via Western Union or Money Gram. He couldn't provide pictures. This raised suspicion, so I checked his profile. He is from the UK, and joined HAMB the day I posted. He has had 10 members check his profile since then, so I am not the only one wondering. USE EXTREME CAUTION.

2. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

3. Don't even think about it. This guy has been trying to scam HAMB users and keeps creating new accounts. Apparently he has been successful to some degree because he keeps coming back. Maybe with the help of UK Hambers, we should set a trap for him. That is, if he is actually from the UK. He might be in Nigeria.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm beginning to think that there is a computer program that scammers use just to find "wanted" adds. I quit posting adds for wanted items on Craigslist because all I got back was scammer responses.

5. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

some cat just posted about getting taken for $300.00

if i'm wanting or looking for some vintage american steel, cars, parts, etc... i avoid overseas sellers due to this crap.

they won't pm, they shoot it directly to your email.

6. When in doubt about someone from the UK just ask one of the Brits. The country isn't that large.

7. WortRod

WortRod
    from california

I bet he is the that prince of nigeria that i have beenn getting emails from for years,he keeps telling me i have a check waiting,lol scammers should be hung in town squares

8. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Not improbable. Made a want ad on another site looking for vintage 1943 ford exhaust heat. Sure enough, he had some and in mint condition :rolleyes: (uk, aka russia, aka whereever). Kept him on the hook for about a week asking questions, giving excuses why I could go to the bank that day. He never gave up though. :eek:

9. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

the moderators should be able to track the code that comes from the computer he is posting on. At least, that is the experience i know of through other forums. This could be turned into the police/authorities. Something needs to be done...

10. That's funny!

11. JonF

JonF

by their nuts.

12. GJRoberts

GJRoberts

This one is jfld27, James Floyd

13. Farmergal,
    The authorities really don't care that much. They have their hands full with the enemies of the state starting forest fires and the like.

I am sorry to say that for the most part it is up to us to police our selves.

14. I actually had a guy try to sell me MY car! When asked for photos he grabbed one off the internet and sent it to me. It was me in my car and he said it was him. Humm? I pulled his chain for about 2 months before getting tired of toying with him. It was fun much like a cat will play with a mouse until he quits playing back.

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

so, you contacted Ryan already? watch out for unknown individuals that use two normally first names as their name. also, use caution when from another country. of course low post count another warning. then when their correspondence is not in complete sentences or use common phrases properly (on this one it is tough since there are many on here that can't do that either). buyer beware.

16. Buying vintage US car parts from the UK... about as logical as going to Ace Hardware and asking for a meatball hero. Some people are destined to be scammed.

Bob

17. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

welcome from la porte, tx

18. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

My exact thought. From my experience on a few different forums it's usually the Europeans looking for parts for the American cars they import over there. If they had a pool of vintage American auto parts over there they wouldn't keep posting asking for our help to find it over here.

19. Yes like others have said, watch out for the low post guys and out of the country.
    But as somone said they don't post "wanted" items anymore, there are just as many scams on the selling side of the coin.

20. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

I think the guy changes his user name. I had a guy try to jam me from the UK with a username "gregb461". Tried to get $300.00.

21. Randy in Oklahoma

Randy in Oklahoma
    from Oklahoma

I agree!

22. Now that were juts plane meen write thier.

Here's the deal if you are going to buy something from someone on the HAMB, and you are not sure about them, it doesn't hurt a damned thing to ask out on the main board. There may be some that get offended but I think for the most part the majority of us would welcome it.

23. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

So true.
    Tom S.

24. fordpatina

fordpatina

25. Double Time Trucking

Double Time Trucking
    from Hawaii

Yup! He's been telling me all morning that he has all the parts I need and to money gram or western union the $400 for the parts and shipping included. No pics he said! Told him give me his address and location inhad no problem sending my son or coming myself to check everything out. No reply since. This pissed me off cause I got excited but also was a little hesitant! People like this need to find another dam hobby and stop being so DAMN IGNORANT!! He goes by jfld27 Today anyways!

26. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Might be small but 60+ million people make it hard to find one scumbag.

27. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

It is a Nigerian. Ryan has posted about him many times.

28. like everyone else i would say stay away from him. however i am really curious...what is a meatball hero. i mean i have an idea. but now im day dreaming. this could be awsome. i just dont know of such things in the midwest.

29. firingorder1

firingorder1

Meatball hero. Sub, grinder etc. A big sandwich. Send me $400 by Western Union and I'll ship you one. No pics though.