Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

2. I had to stop at the upholstery store on E st, one block up from the original McDonalds on 14th. I paused as I had to check the permitted parking times on the street signs. On my way in the store, this shot caught my eye.. so I thought I'd share. E st. used to be the place to be, here in the Inland Empire. These signs put an end to that. It's run down now, but still a fond memory to many.

[​IMG]

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Lets see? we're in June now so next month is July ;)

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

"We still need to get an Airport Run set up. The next car event at the Airport is the 4th Sunday of next month. We could leave from the Broiler then cuz surface streets to El Monte Airport"

So we won't count this Sat and we'll just take that clear out of the month of JUNE=correct?, cuz theoretically one could plan a airport run for this last day of JUNE,Right? But this is not a good month for all members of the Broilers=Hence JULY.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

5. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Lot of history on 14th & E, and alot turmoil on I believe either 16th or 17th and E, as that's the lot where Ray "Krook" tried to put the Mc D bros out of business, I think the corp still owns the lot even though the restaurant has been dozed for years, cept the golden arch mounting bases.

Just another trip through history:rolleyes:

6. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Went down south to pick up some tires and had skipped lunch so I was planning to grab some dinner at a favorite seafood joint, but it was closed when i got there... so with my stomach making more noise than the engine, I hopped back on the 710 and was thinking about going to Bob's Toluca lake, then not even three minutes later I see the Bob's Broiler Downey Billboard and take the exit as directed (good job the advertising worked!). On the way there I see a cool 'Retro' Carl's Junior and my mouth's already watering but i fight the temptation and press on and as i pull up there's a bunch of classic cars, hotrods and Kustoms. I knew they did a cruise night but didn't realize or think that it would be on a Wednesday.
    Needless to say it was a pleasant surprise and after reading about the building getting bull-dozed, then about the campaign to restore it, then seeing pics of it happening...it was cool to finally get to see it in person and the fact that there was a cruise-night taking place was icing on the cake! The place looks amazing, they did a great job with the design and decor and i didn't see any evidence of cheesiness that you often find in "fifties" diners where people dropped the ball on the restoration. The Broiler is right-on IMHO, and the only cheese i found was on my original Big Boy combo which hit the spot! Great Job on the Broiler, the hard work paid off!

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That would be the Hypothesis that we share but viewed differantly in one anothers minds that becomes the sum to the concept set forth by the writing of suggested matter. I could ramble on and on you see about said topic, however to Hypothesize this topic would be like dividing the number One by Three.

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Vonpahrkur,
    Jim is gonna love reading this! Good to know that the billboard is doing its job. Thanx for the kudos on the build inside-n-out. It took alot of work, sticking to the original plan and maintaining 2009 build requirements. If ya make it in again, look for us so we can thank you for stopping in. We really appreciate your business and thank you for your patronage. Bring a HAMB friendly car and hang out us.
    CK.

Juicy Gee,
    I so dig your sense of humor, your wit is amazing. Thanx 4 making me laugh ;).

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

10. Adriene

Adriene

Ah! And therein lies the problem! Lol! :)

11. Adriene

Adriene

12. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Watching that commercial is to funny, Jim had to stick around all that time while a band walked over a Chrysler product. It's nice to see our Broiler being used in Film, TV Shows and Magazine shoots. I guess that we brought it back for all to see and enjoy. :).

13. DrJ

DrJ

Hey! There ain't no godamn no parking sign in my front lawn anymore. Golly gee, I wonder what happened to it?

14. Just about all of E st. is cluttered with similar signs. This one just happened to speak to me, with the McD's in the background. The reason for them all

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
    Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
    Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?"

16. I look forward to cruising out to the Broiler, again. Be even better cruising out in the 59!

Took off my hat, and said imagine that..
    Me - workin' for you!

17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I look forward to you making Dinner for us Jay ;):D.

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

they come out every now and then.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

With a Full moon and artificial Falling Stars on this 4th of July many of you will be with Family and Friends and will not be at the Broiler this evening making it feel like a Saturday. Have a Happy 4th everyone and see everyone next week.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  20. Adriene

Adriene

That said, FYI, Jim will be there and our Wednesday Nite 4th of July Cruise is ON. Just look for the amazing drive-in restaurant directly behind the fireworks stand on the corner :)

Happy 4th...see you tonite everyone.

Adriene

21. knucks 1930

knucks 1930
    from la habra

the broiler is going on still come down AND SPEND TIME WITH YOUR CAR FAMILY AND BRING YOUR CARS HAPPY 4TH OF JULY

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hey!!!!!, seams I'm the od man out here ;). How late will everyone be there?

23. Adriene

Adriene

Kirby's here......thanks for being our Drive-In Movie Host, Kirby--it was fun starting the summer season with "American Graffiti" last Wednesday!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  24. knucks 1930

knucks 1930
    from la habra

we closed bobs down they kicked us out at 7:30

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Such an alarming observation on your behalf. After all, "Oz never did give the Tin Man nothing that he didn't already have"

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

We didn't close Bob's down, Ara just wanted to go spend time with his family as did our staff. I seem to have seen you eating and finishing your meal @ 7pm. We'll see ya next week!!!!!:D

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  27. Koala Kruizer

Koala Kruizer

Thanks Dew (Johnny Gee) ... though The Broiler is always a fun place to be, I had a great time with you watching the Fireworks :D;)

See you and The Broiler Crew again soon:)

Attached Files:

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

29. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Who the heck is Divinity Roxx and why ruin a beautiful song by the music group America?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.