Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's Cadzilla doing at So-Cal Speed Shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Add me to the list that still has that issue with it on the cover. I think I saw it and the matching bike at the Seattle indoor show back when it was on it's first tour of the car shows.
    The car may not be traditional by our criteria but it does stand the test of time and looks as good now as it did when it first appeared on the scene. Plus it can make a serous road trip without a whimper.

2. Got to see it in person at the Wally Parks museum a while back. I couldn't get a good picture of it to save my life though. I don't know if it was my cheap digital camera, the lighting or the color.

3. The latest issue of SRP or Street Rodder Premium has an article on Larry Erickson's lifework and alot of the article is his involvment with CadZilla. I love that car one of my all time favorites.

4. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

All this time I thought GB built it.. (Not..) :) that is a Cool car though..

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Isn't his T Bird in there as well, and I'd guess that Tractor next to it is somehow connected as well. Bob:)

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I had that poster on my wall. That car just blew me away.

If you don't think it holds up, compare it to the truck on the cover and tell me which one looks more current ;-)

I don't remember it was for bonneville. Wow. I saw it at the Petersen ages ago and wondered where it had got to.

8. AG F/C

AG F/C

Yep, That there is the true story. Got screwed up in the container. $100K + damage.
    Im glad I wasnt the one who did it!!!! :eek:

9. dw123

dw123

I'll back up on the Goodwood story, that's what I heard when I was standing next to it there...!

10. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Cadzilla is bad ass!

HAMB has guidelines? Maybe with some booger eatin knuckle draggers... Ya'll get a clue, Hot Rods don't have guidelines.

11. 100K???

Where???

That top don't look any lower! :rolleyes:

12. AG F/C

AG F/C

I did not see the damage but the "Horse" told me from the rockers down got beaten up bad.

13. havasu

havasu
    from so cal

Pete out for a cruise

Attached Files:

14. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Its amazing that it was from the 80s . I remember my uncle brought the magazine home and I was floored I think its one of the cars that got me enthuzed with vintage iron.

15. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I remember when I was kid (11 or so) seeing Cadzilla,hogzillas, and the Eliminator coupe at the Springfied show, left an impression for sure. That was right about the same time that I told my dad's friend how gay all his billet was when we were cruising in his Merc. I didn't know what I was talking about cause I was just a "dumb kid" though. Now he wishes he still had his original Merc Accessory wheel and not the gay flaming billet one.

16. Add me to the list. I had the poster from the magazine mounted on fibre board. It's still hanging in my shop.

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Wish that was this 'Pete'.
    My brother is headed that way next week. I hope he can get some pics. I love that car.

18. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I saw Cadzilla at the Lonestar Roundup way back when it was at the park, maybe 2005 or so. I couldn't believe I was seeing it. Paint and chrome looked pretty rough at the time.

Still, just a timeless and phenomenal car, and absolutely stunning in real life.

19. weez

weez

I liked that it looked like a Larry Erickson drawing with no compromise. I was at at Art Center at the time, (so was Chip) so it was right up my alley as far as the kind of stuff I was drawing. (even though I was working on my chopped '50 Ford at home with wide whites and Sombreros)

Crazy that the Cad got damaged in a container and I was worried about it getting damaged by my mangy '29 on the way to Japan in '05!

20. Ha!, I was a junior in VCU's art school when Cadzilla was being built at Boyd Coddington's shop. Me and two buddies did our spring break in '88 in SoCal and one of our stops was Boyd's shop. We were greeted by Boyd's first wife and she handed us over to Larry Erickson. He gave us the full tour and we saw Cadzilla under construction. He had a full sized drawing of the car hanging on the wall and the completed rolling chassis was sitting to the side. When we finished the tour, he gave us all free T-shirts. Good times.

21. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

OK...I'll tell you I never liked it. It was one of the leaders of the check-writing, my-wallet-is-bigger-than-yours movement that in no particular way benefitted hot rodding.

I also can't stand ZZ Top but I won't let that interfere.

If Billy Gibbons drove a POS 76 Nova that burned oil and vibrated at 45MPH, but he turned a few wrenches on it, I'd have more respect.

Plus, it looks 'rock star' cool, not hot rod cool.

22. You would have to pull your head out of your ass so you can see how custom cool and inspiring this car was for all of us that truely appreciated it for what it was and is.

23. BCR

BCR

Check writing has been going on since the advent of cars (take a look at what the rich were having built in the 20's and 30's, before that it was horses.;)

As a matter of fact...The my wallet is bigger than yours goes back to the first brothers.

24. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

At least Hirohata made his own dash knobs!

25. Car blew me away too, definitely contributed to my love of sleds.

26. garcoal

garcoal

being from iowa, a number of years ago went with wife to austin texas to visit her sister. high dollar surgeon husband. nice guy still. he took me to local car show. lo and behold the was cadzilla. there was some guy standing there. i asked him if billy was there. he said no. brother in law chimes in how do you know who owns that car, and how does that guy know hes not here. i told him it was cadzilla, which further confused him. to bad for him. yes its a neat car

27. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

How much original metal can possibly be left on that car?!? *maybe* the rear window frame? Jeezo that's amazing.

I must have read that copy of hotrod 100 times. Right up there with the one that had the Cheez Whiz '55.

28. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Last i knew Larry was building a 32 sedan for himself. Haven't been to see him in about a year. He and my brother worked at Ford Design together. Great guy.

29. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, my friend,If you did your home work on the Honorable Rev,You would know he is a dyed- in- the- wool Hot rodder.Hot rods consume this guy.He has done more for this way of Life than you will ever know.His contributions to Save the Salt have kept bonneville going for many years.After looking through your profile and seeing your "many" lists of accomplishments,I'd have to say, as a Hot Rodder, you're not a pimple on Billys' Butt.Sorry for the Rant

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  30. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Jimmy, I always know when someone reverts to name calling they have lost the argument. That would be you, sir. You too, Rod. Keep your pie hole a little more closed, you profile peeking rascal.

Check writing has been going on for a long time, but as someone who was actually alive and paying attention to the hot rod scene in the 80's, the Cadzilla, and a few others, ignited a movement that never was seen before. A lot of it had to do with the fact that you had guys who were finally old enough to start spending lots of money on cars they couldn't afford when they were younger - but never bothered developing any skills themselves. They want the cool, but not the grease under the fingernails.

So, Billy Gibbons can drive his Cadzilla, and I'll put on a fake beard and play air guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.