Register now to get rid of these ads!

Since we are so traditional here.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lippy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I'll add a little info re: the whole "Match gasser/gassers on fuel" thing. There was a couple match gasser circuits running in the very late sixties, as what we think of as the gasser wars drew to a close. The reason for this wasn't any "bad-ass, run what ya brung, rebel rat-rodder without a clue " bs, it was a simple matter of economics.
    Match racing is not about some macho gun slinger "Ima callin' you out " bs, thats for the spectators. Match racing is a booked in show where the participants are paid appearance money, as well as round money, because the spectators will come out to see the cars in question.
    In the early/mid sixties, blown gassers (on gas) had been the main match racing draw. Starting around '66, the funny cars started to transition over to blowers. As they were running nitro, they were now louder, faster, and hairier than the blown gassers, and match-race bookings for the gassers started to dry up overnight. The unwashed masses didnt want to see blown gassers anymore, they wanted FUNNY CARS!
    Some of the guys that had formerly been getting bookings as blown gassers started to run nitro so they could get match race bookings against funny cars. This naturally led to booked in circuits of nitro- burning "gassers". The main deal that is reasonably well documented was So-Cal based, circa 1969/70, some of the participants were Tom Prock, "the Bushwacker" dart, Kajajian and Lemons blown BB chevy T-Bird, and Gary Burgins former AA/SR, now sans fenders and headlights. They ran nitro, not alcohol, people wouldn't pay money to watch gasser type cars on alky, when they could watch funnycars cackling on a load. Fact is, even with a load, the former "gassers" were heavier than the full-on flip-top ladder chassis funnycars that dominated the scene in '69, and by the same token, people werent really interested in watching psuedo gassers on nitro, they wanted FUNNYCARS! These circuits were short-lived abberrations on the drag racing scene, a mere blip on the historic radar.

2. Larry T

Larry T

I don't understand why this is confusing. :rolleyes:

From current NHRA Heritage Series Rulebook.

------------------------------------------------

12 ◆ Gas Eliminator
    Section 2
    Gas Eliminator
    DESIGNATION
    A/Gas, B/Gas, C/Gas, D/Gas, preceded by number.

FUEL
    Racing gasoline, gasoline, alcohol, gasohol, diesel, ethanol, natural gas, and propane
    permitted. Nitromethane prohibited.

-----------------------------------------

The 60's and 70's sure were nice with 20 page rulebooks for all classes. And if you look there is no specific rule in the Gas Coupes and Sedans section for gas, just in the section for general rules for all classes.

I'm glad I was around for the original class, no way it'll ever be that way again.

3. Uh....

Hate to throw a monkey wrench in your post your lippy but this is not a good example. He's running this car on alcohol. Not that it makes things right.

We are not concerned about the "current" rules. We are discussing what makes a gasser a REAL GASSER!

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

bingo. :D So the NHRA idjits have their heads in their asses as well. Not the first time.

And really I could not care less what those that don't understand what the HAMB is about say. Your pseudo nostalgia race car is just what someone said earlier, a modern car with an old body... :eek::eek:

5. ha ha....so they just lump every type of fuel together under the sun.....except nitro....:rolleyes:

6. firingorder1

firingorder1

No. I read all the posts. But I stand corrected. Larry T's post sorted it out for me. Not having an NHRA rule book to hand I didn't realize that the NHRA considers most every type of fuel except nitro to be gasoline.

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Waddayacare. I just thought it was a cool vid. For Marty. Lippy

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hell, why not? Look at some of the cars they let run Stock eliminator nowadays...:rolleyes::p Anything for a $$

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That truck has been on gas since 1987, they just switched to alky this season, it was on gas in the video, take it to the bank!

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Waddayacare. When the barrel is set that wayon gas they sound at idle like an alky deal thats set wrong. Yes I said wrong, when a blown alky deal is correct they don't lope! If it is, it's called hunting. . Lippy

11. Larry T

Larry T

OK, so according to what's posted here, a Gasser is a car that runs Class Racing (NHRA/AHRA) Gas Coupes/Sedans to the letter of the rulebook? If it doesn't meet the rules, it's outlaw and doesn't count. One of the rules is "Pump gas generally available to the public with no additives, no Av gas".

Since it's kinda hard to run on pump gas now days and there is no Gas Coupes & Sedans class to run then a Gasser has to be a car that was build and raced in the class in the 60's (for the HAMB)?

I'll bet there aren't many around. Wait a minute, I've got one!
    Larry T

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

13. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I'm starting to feel like the old lady from "Blazing Saddles".....:)

[​IMG]

14. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

15. me too!

16. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

As Walter Chronkite would say, "And you are there..."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  17. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

[​IMG]

18. I wasn't trying to give you crap about it lippy. I was just letting you know in case someone brought it up.

Pffft! Well of course it's all about the $$!

Guys, I was just pointing out that this car IS on alcohol. I never said that it has always been that way. If that's the way it sounded that's not what I ment. I know the owner and his car happens to be my favorite of all the gassers out there.

Unless I'm misunderstanding this thread.... The thread is suppose to be about a traditional gasser and what the fuel is that an original gasser was to run on and that would be gasoline. Not nitro, not alcohol, not methanol, not ethanol, not water injection etc., etc., etc.!

Well around here there are pumps with 100, 110 and 112 octane available to anyone willing to pony up the bucks. One of the places is a large chain of mini mart/car washes that has pumps marked RACING FUEL.

19. I like this thread. It's actually been pretty educational. :)

20. barrelvalve

barrelvalve
    from Mass

Lippy,
    To be traditional:
    Alcohol, nitro, hydrazine and a splash of propylene oxide.
    Percentages vary as to payout.
    You start it with GAS, hence the name GASSER.

You're such a trouble maker;)

21. Yea, imagin what this would be like if we all had too many beers! :D

Wait a minute.... isn't this like the pot calling the kettle black?!?! :rolleyes:

22. Larry T

Larry T

Well, I wish we could buy high octane leaded gas out of the pump around here, but there's no way. I can remember folks selling Sunoco by the drum, but I guess that's all done now. Anyway, I won't lose any sleep running VP until they start checking the fuel at the little tracks around here.

I hope ya'll don't take my posts real seriously here. Sometimes when I get in a discussion, if someone agrees with me, I'll change sides. :D

23. squirrel

squirrel

I run a no compression blower motor on the street, and occasionally race it. I've never put racing gas in it, just the 87 or 91 swill at the local pump. I guess some racers live in a different world....

24. All's good Larry.... All's good!

Except now squirrel is sturring up the pot braggin' how he can run on 87 octane! :mad: :D

I'm goin' out and buyin' a Smart car.

25. smautobody

smautobody

my static compression is 14.1 add 20 pounds of boost yes its a whole different world

26. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

You do put on a great show too.:cool: Great burnouts.:D

27. afaulk

afaulk

Eyestrain..............as bad as brain freeze. Man what a thread. Even when you agree people want to argue. Can you imagine all being in the same room together? Damn
    I've got gas!

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You should meet me in person.:D Lippy (Frying in Ks.)