Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Losthope's 1966 c10 low buck build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LostHope, Sep 24, 2011.

1. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dude... you truck has come a long ways... very cool!!!! Dig that tag too! :D

2. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks !

Thanks Chaddailac it should make a decent daily drive for awhile which is what i wanted, hopefully one day i could rebuild it better like some of the more talented people on here do builds. Today I think im gonna cruise it across town for its maiden voyage to "glendales house" and see how hes doing with his car,Cant wait to see the club shirts when they show up thanks helping us out on that!

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. LostHope

LostHope

Put some more miles on the truck today and loaded up some extra parts I had
    [​IMG]

and traded them to my buddy for the ram horns i will eventually run to replace the long tube headers that hang below the frame too much:

[​IMG]

also a cool old tach so I can replace the newer sunpro tach that is installed now:
    [​IMG]

also helped him put a new distributor in his truck and get it fired up and yes my friends that is a o.g stock truck bought from the original owner out of a barn with o.g patina...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Sweet man, glad to see you got someone u can pass on some of those skills to bud!! My 283 already has that exhaust on it, looks amazing.. But neways, hope u didn't 'drag that bumper' while u were drippin gas lol! :D

5. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

I'm lustin over that steering wheel btw!!

6. X2

Good thread.

7. n847

n847

Good to see it on the road...That tach is sweet! Keep it up!

8. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks guys! I really like how the steering wheel turned out also!

Well today has been one year that I owned the truck went from a stock field truck with no motor or trans to a running driving air bagged daily driver! I Built it to be a driver, nice to look at but not to nice to throw shit in the back or worry about scratching paint, I wanted to have more done to the truck by now like the exhaust, reupholster the seat ,power dual master brakes, and some other items but am pretty stoked on how it turned out especially since alot of the build i was on crutch's and in a leg cast and all done with basic hand tools and in a driveway, it was all about having motivation to get off my ass everyday and work on it that ...im pretty stoked!! I know that it will never be done and ill always be doing something to it so there will be more updates only time will till what it looks like in another year!

BEFORE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 YEAR LATER:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  9. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

the painted steelies and those white chains are BALLIN!! its the "unheard" details that make it pop like that..

10. As I have told you in person you have made an amazing transformation with the truck. I think you should take it by the guy you bought it from and take him for a ride.

11. Blake84

Blake84

Dope truck. What a difference! Keep it up

12. You're really getting there man, and WAY faster than I have! I really like what you've done with the floating grill, and the roll pan. That thing is turning out all sorts of cool.

13. LostHope

LostHope

I sent him a email awhile back with picture updates telling him it was almost drivable but no response yet, I told him Id let him drive it when i got it running when i first bought it and he said "dont do that then i will regret selling it" with a chuckle, so i thought he was joking but he might have been serious so i didnt want to push the issue..

Thanks man I like your truck also and itll be super rad when it gets a better frontend treatment, been reading your thread..

Thanks man I appreciate the kinds words, just keep plugging away is my motto! whats nice is you have two,so you can drive one while working on the other:cool:

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

15. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I like a low buck build...

16. That my friend is a calendar shot.
    COOL PICTURE.
    COOL TRUCK.

[​IMG]

chopped out a few of the distractions

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  17. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks guys!

Thank you "LowKat" i appreciate that very much since your rattle can rebuild is what inspired me to start a build thread,I liked how you were building on a budget but making it quite nice at the same time i tried to imitate what you were doing in a sense but with my own truck...kinda how i came up with the air bag switchs/and aftermarket gauges in the under dash air conditioner was a spin off from your 8 track cd player.....

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. I respect a budget builder much more than catalog builder, anybody can order new parts and bolt 'em on. Or worse yet, pay somebody to put them on. Actually to me, 1/2 the fun is the parts scrounging.

My new job is assembling high dollar restored cars which is fun but there's no figuring out how to make things work with whatcha got. It's more like figuring out where to get what you need. The budget build is more fun.

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. AHotRod

AHotRod

The truck turned out really cool, great job!

20. LostHope

LostHope

totally agree !Besides swapmeets I also have alot of fun trading with buddys for parts it saves me from spending cash LOL!

Thank you !

Well tomorrow I will be taking the truck to its first car show "Midnight Mass" which the local "Poor Boys Car Club" puts on, It's the show I always try and shoot for as a goal to get my ride running for and it just so happens this year I already had it running and not throwing my ride together at the last minute, so today i actually shined up trim and cleaned white walls trying to be ready! Cant wait ill try and remember to snap a couple pictures for everyone..

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. LostHope

LostHope

Well the truck made it to Midnight mass and back im happy to say with no problems! heres a couple pic's parked at the show:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. LostHope

LostHope

I got to do some work on my truck with a little help from a friend. My truck has now been molested by another man LOL, up untill now all the work has been done by me, but I didnt feel bad having a friend help me, this is one of my closest friends Richie he is a mechanic that runs his own business out of his shop behind his house:
    [​IMG]

I made a couple different sets of some shade tree shoddy relocation rear shock mounts that i was hoping would get me by until i could buy some $50 bolt on ones ,but kept breaking them due to my bolt on designs and also being a dummy and not knowing how how to measure shock travel right and pretty sure i had the shocks at full extension pulling on the mounts when the bags were at full air...

here richie is making a template and showing me how to determine were the mount needs to be using a string with the compressed and extended marks on it:
    [​IMG]

here i am cutting the mounts out of rectangle tubing with the design me and richie came up with:
    [​IMG]

Richie cleaning the frame up to weld to:
    [​IMG]

I had Richie weld them in
    [​IMG]

And with the shocks:
    [​IMG]

While we had the rear wheels off Richie set up the brake lathe and showed me how to resurface one of my drums since i only replaced the pads and springs they needed it:
    [​IMG]

then he turned me loose with the other one:
    [​IMG]

And I got the hang of it!:
    [​IMG]

After eating some Mc Donald's and hanging out for awhile it got late so drove home to post you guys some pictures , truck rides 100x better and got to learn some new stuff,fix my truck, and hang out with a old friend it was a good day!

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Awesome man! I'm like you, try to do almost everything on my own, BUT, it sure is nice to have a friend around when you need a hand.

Nice lathe too, same model I learned on.

24. LostHope

LostHope

Ya it was pretty easy also to work! Im hoping I can try using it but wit rotors next time to see how it works..

Well I helped richie pick up and install his drive line in his 4x4 toyota since he bent it on his last 4x4 trip and then we decided to work on a project for my truck.....I have a floor jack , gas can ,and a blue milk crate strapped in the back of my bed with hand tools, jumper cables, etc just in case i break down somewhere since the truck is now my daily driver ,and worried that either someone was going to steal my stuff out the back one day or use my own tools to break into my own truck....So I had been thinking of building a old ammo crate style box with a lock to put it all in but being low on funds to buy wood and also being a carpenter/electrician I always have work tools with me I decided it would be best to use a metal tool box....I know it takes away from the over all style and look of my truck but it is my daily/work truck so I had to do something......I had a set of longbed tool boxs that sit on the bed rails that have been out in my pops back forty for years, so i went and picked one box up and made some measurements:
    [​IMG]

cut it up and shortened it so it will fit behind the cab all the way to one side and be able to mount my spare tire standing up on the other side...

[​IMG]

had richie do some welding on the part you will see and i practiced laying some beads on the end on the inside :

[​IMG]

And here you can see how it looks shortened up:
    [​IMG]

Got it all welded up and grinded down but as far as we got!....tomorrows update should be having it painted and mounted......what was nice about using the side box is that it was something i had for years and was free, and that when mounted in the bed it will be below the bed rails..

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  25. LostHope

LostHope

Well here you go!

I just painted the box black to kinda hide it , got it mounted and made a spare tire bed side mount. I used one of the box bracket legs that you would use to mount it in the bed rail and I had a extra 54 ford trunk spare tire rod and wing nut setup, I even installed a loop on the tool box to chain my dog to .....I havent painted the spare rim red yet or got the spare tire shaved into a bigger white wall but all in all I think everything turned out ok and it will do the job.:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

what do you guys think?

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. That's ideal man. I'm planning on running a spare mounted the same way on the driver's side. I think these trucks look pretty good that way. Great job on the box. Nice to be able to keep shit locked up these days.

27. n847

n847

Looks great...That tool box will come in handy for certain on a daily!

28. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Man...Haven't checked on you in a while. As per usual...back at it!!! LOVE THIS TRUCK. You are an inspiration, my friend in many ways. Love the inovation and work. This may be a "low buck" build, but by no means, low talent or ability.

1Nimrod likes this.
  29. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

I get inspiration everytime I look at you're work!! It's been rainin here for 2 weeks so progress is slow over here in bama!! 1 thing, tell you're buddy to put that jackstand under the truck!!! Had one fall on me but I had someone to get it off.. Shit wasn't fun and I don't want to see talents like you guys have hindered.. Again AMAZING work!!! Sorry to sound like a mom lol..

1Nimrod likes this.
  30. LostHope

LostHope

At first I was going to mount it on the drivers side because i always see them on the drivers side but didnt know the reasoning why they are always mounted there ?? I put it on the pass. side because my plan was to eventually recess the tire into the bed with a modified upside down fender well for it to sit in and you wont see the tire stick above the bed rail, but i agree i kinda like it sticking up now that i see it....maybe after i get the rim painted and a extra trim ring and tire shave ill keep it like that..

thanks...I wouldnt have it in there if it wasnt a daily driver....... but it is already holding crap in it :D

thanks bugsy! Glad to see you still checking in on me, Hope your doing ok yourself and will have to go check your thread also!

No worrys ! we had some bigger jack stands under the frame that you cant see in the picture and also the front wheels chalked and also the differential resting on the jack!!!! the little jack stands you see in the picture we were using to support the rearend when the shocks were off and checking the travel so it wasnt hanging by just the bags, thanks for looking out tho!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.