Register now to get rid of these ads!

Since we are so traditional here.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lippy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Thanks, they were pretty cool for the late 60's-early 70's. Fun rides, good times indeed.:D Then I moved on up to quicker rides. That need for speed thing.;)

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^As I recall, some of your comp elim. dragsters were pretty damn competitive too. I recall seeing them occasionally at div 6 points meets over the years.

3. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Yup, if you mean me. I had a couple of Bantam Altereds in the mid-late 70's. I managed to set the NHRA National record at OCIR in 77. First A/EA in the eight's back then too.

First one at Irwindale in 76

[​IMG]

Second one, the record holder in 77 at OCIR testing.

[​IMG]

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Did you have the orange car at the '77 WDRS at Mission? Rick was there running B/Dragster as well. I was there watching.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I guess it's up to us OLD GUYs like Jean to carry on the traditional ways.:DI mean if no one stands up and says "Hey that isn't right!" Who will? If we don't ,all is lost historical speaking. Jean, I still love you. In a manly sort of way. :D:D

6. smautobody

smautobody

do you have a racecar?

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

At last we are agreeing on something. Theres nothing wrong with you guys running your series with cars on alchohol. If thats what you want to do, thats your choice. The problem arises when you start trying to pass it off as "the way it should be" or that they are "real gassers". Instead of getting pissed off when some old guy comes up to you at the track and says "well, its not a real gasser if you are running alky", you have a duty to history to tell younger guys who ask about your cars. "hey, you know, we are here to put on a show for the spectators, but this isnt the way it really was. The real deal ran on gas, they sounded totally different, and huffed black smoke" ect, ect
    Look around on here, its real close to the point where "all is lost historically speaking." It really is, theres so much distortion and bs floating around its not even funny any more. And if you think its whacked out on here, just listen to some of the crap you hear at the track and on cruise nights! The guys that were there doing it are dying off, and the guys that were a little younger and watching them do it (like me) are getting close to collecting old age security. It wont be long now, and the only guys that are left passing it down will be guys that had it passed down to them. Where the hell are we gonna be if those guys think all gassers were jacked up 3 feet in the air and ran alky??
    Some of us might get pretty passionate about this, and we damn well should. The infidels are storming the gates...

8. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

No, I just ran some of the Div.7 stuff that year. You may have seen it in some Mag./paper stuff though. As it got a bit of ink/pictures in National Dragster/Drag News/Drag Scoop/Popular Hot Rodding Magazine in 77 and 78.:D

Thanks Lippy, I hope everyone knows that I'm all for anyone having fun racing, whatever they have. you know I have the itch for the fuel stuff too. It's all good. :cool:

Besides, just remember guys:[​IMG];):p:D

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

What does that have to do with anything?

10. smautobody

smautobody

I'm friends with Ray Cook Dougs brother he was the driver for the mustang and ran drove it in the late 60s he told me that they played with alcohol and used it at match races the car on gas ran 8.60s on alky ran 8.20s but he mostly ran on gas

11. smautobody

smautobody

I want to know if he has ever tried tuning mechanical injection blown or naturally aspirated regardless of the fuel and if so how can you say that tuning is a lost art without ever doing it. put a high compression motor together stick a blower and mech. injector on it and see how that works for you

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

"match racing" didn't have rules. The gas classes did.
    Two totally different animals.

13. Larry T

Larry T

Doug,
    I'll agree with you, but it's kind of hard for the casual observer to tell the difference when the top NHRA/AHRA Gassers were also match racing. And a lot of the hype of the Gasser Wars was based on match racing--top teams calling each other out for match races.
    Larry T

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I agree with you, too.
    But the mention that a team was match racing on alky was just a match race of "gasser style" cars.
    As I posted on here yesterday, that J&S Anglia photo sure looks like the basic gasser that you'd find in anyone's definition of "gasser"...BUT....this day it was an "altered" solely due to it's fuel choice.
    The match race days were the best. Some weekends you'd have a fuel burning A/FX going up against a blown gasser...it was crazy fun.

15. Working on an A gas sedan.

I have been tunning for over 40 years.

When I was a young man I figured out it was a money game so I started tunning other peoples cars, kept in the pits and in the game.

Note the gas sedan will be a gas sedan. Not A fueler. If I want to run fuel I'll pull the old man's roadster out of the rafters and I'll run it on pop.

I wasn't pointing the engilsh and rule book at you. It just happened to get wrapped up in my answer to your question. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  16. smautobody

smautobody

cool good luck on your sedan project. I run my car hard and frequently alcohol is my fuel of choice traditional or not its fast and puts on a hell of a show there are no electronics and does have mech injection

17. I once had a dog you could get to chase his tail for hours on end. Kind of like this thread.

18. skwurl

skwurl

I thought drag racers ran whatever they could get away with

19. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

No problem, we're good.:D

20. smautobody

smautobody

ha ha now thats funny!
    Have fun racing whatever your racing everyone

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've got pics of Ohio George's Mustang gasser, and other than the driver's side lifting in your pic, it sat the same height static.

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In a way, I was actually a first-hand witness to the demise of the traditional gasser. In the early seventies, as a young teen I was washing parts and pushing a broom for a local engine builder who ran a thames with an injected 287 in D/Gas. This story is pretty much a microcosm of what was happening all over the country. By the time I came on the scene the front end was already about as low as it could go and still have a transverse leaf up front.
    First change was the camel bumps came off and were replaced with a set of turbos with lots of epoxy and offset intake rockers. Shortly after that, the enderle's came off, replaced with a TR-1Y and a pair of 660's. I was kind of disturbed by this, as being a child of the sixties, I was pretty hung up on "real" gassers at the time. The older guys laughed at me and ridiculed me for this, because the car went faster. But it was about to get "worse". A lot "worse". The car still wasn't competitive with the new breed of Corvette and Vega gassers that were dominating the local scene, and it wasn't going rounds anymore. The next step was more drastic. In 1974, A new 2x3 tube chassis, with coil-overs front and rear, a seriously dropped tube axle, a 4-link, and 14x32s,HUGE wheel tubs and Super Tricks replaced the Cragar SS's. I was devasted, it was no longer a "gasser". They all thought I was nuts, and in that time and place, they were right. By now the car was LOW, like cigarette pack low. It was also STILL not really competitive with the new breed of cars, and by '76, the engine/trans wheels/tires were pulled, and the car was retired. Over a period of about 5 years, the car had gone from being what most of us would recognize as a gasser, to being a retired race car parked in the grass out behind the shop. In between, it had become something closer to a Thames bodied Pro-Stocker than what we think of as a "gasser". True story, and what was happening all over the country.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

They did. And you sure as hell couldnt get away with alcohol in a gasser...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  24. I have a pic somewhere from when it debuted at Indy. For whatever reason I was thinking that it sat a little lower static. Real slippery looking. I could be wrong.

I believe that the car was a real game changer. It certainly was not a sky high brick and it was very competative in the gas ranks as I recall.

I doubt that if you ran one like it today that it would draw much of a crowd. People like the look of the lifted cars and there is always a chance that the driver won't be able to keep it off the rail. Like it or not the general public really likes the danger aspect of racing.

25. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

I have read this entire thread from beginning to end and can sum it up like this:

1. Gas was a class.

2. Gassers run Gas.

3. "Gasser" look cars can run whatever the OWNER wants but if they want to run A,B,C,D,E/G they need to run gas.

4. Cars with straight axles and high noses have gained in popularity but they aren't necessarily "Gassers"

5. Revisionist history does nothing but muddy the water and spread misinformation.

6. You can always refer to a rule book.

26. firingorder1

firingorder1

11 pages of replies to answer what has to be the dumbest question ever asked.

27. So then what is the answer you may as well mix it up with the rest of them. :D

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

29. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'd have thought when the word "gasser" popped up in the question the answer would have been obvious. But I guess I must have been wrong. : - )

30. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Let me guess, you read the heading of the thread, my first post, then skipped to the very last and posted. Lippy