Register now to get rid of these ads!

another stupid girl question ..sorry

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zestybacon, Jun 25, 2012.

1. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

yes I googled but ....didn't quite know what I am looking at.
    I need a link to find a parts catalog for my 55 dodge pick up & I was told to get something like a Chiltons book but thinner and less detail any ideas PLEASEEEEEEEE?? Thank you to everyone who helped me soooo much last time. I have been reading and have my parts to repair list and I am ....almost ..... ready to get dirty.

2. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

Vendor catalogs are a great source of drawings. My 56 chev truck had an assembly book in addition to the techincal spec book. Very helpful. I got these from a swap meet vendor that sells all sorts of reference books. I always like a paper copy rather than something online.

3. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

A "Motors Manual" has by far the best and most accurate information. I've seen many over the years...in my book..the Chiltons is about at the 50% line as far as accuracy and information given.

You should be able to find them at most Auto swap meets. Unfortunatly...they'll be more expensive than Chiltons manuals also.

As for a "thinner" repair manual...not sure...but the Chiltons are pretty small and thin (the small version...about, 8" x 10" and 1/2" thk.).
    They have a larger version also...about as large as the "Motors" version.

Personally...not worth much money if you want good info.

Just my take on the two manuals.

Mike

4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

you may catch hell just because the dodges arent as popular or sought after. the ford and chevys are very common and are often boring because theres so many of them, BUT they make EVERYTHING for ford and chevys. i just did a quick google search for 55 dodge truck parts and came up with a few sites like antiquedodgeparts.com that have original parts, not sure what exactly your lookin for. you may have to source original parts as you may not be able to find any reproduction parts for a dodge. just keep searchin. google is your friend. not sure about a catalog though

5. Here is a catalog that I got on a quicky google search.

http://www.antiquedodgeparts.com/catalogpage.htm

I tapped in '55 Dodge pickup parts. If you go to most web pages for parts vendors ( avoid e-scam- uh bay) and muck around a bit you will find a paper catalog that they offer.

6. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

No swap meets in my area.... is this stuff online anywhere? I would love to start tinkering with this this weekend.

7. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

There's enough people out there will run you down so stop running yourself down. There's 250.000 really stupid men out there recken they know everything. And they're too stupid to know what to ask.
    My apologies for correcting you if you really are stupid...
    ...but I doubt it.

Ed

8. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

thanks for the link. I am trying to get my dad into this......he is SLOWLY coming around....

9. Ed
    I didn't even catch the stupid aspect to the question. D'oh

Zestybacon,
    How old is your dad, I'd ask you how old your are but I'm not sposedta.

Good way to get him in volved is to just ask him to help you. Afterall he is your dad and there is not a man alive that cannot resist his little girl.

10. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

I am 38 dad is 25 yrs older..... he thought he was being given the car... (so did I) so it ruffled some feathers when it was left to me and I have been getting the cold shoulder since. Plus i am sure its hard for him to look at.... but we just went this weekend and did a look through and made the parts list and are getting prices now.

11. :D ha ha ha ha

12. Just go to Ebay and type in '55 dodge pickup repair manual! They got 'em, they're under $20 and pretty reliable. I've been buying on Ebay for a dozen years and have never been burned. With a little common sense anyone can. This only buying from old companies and paying 2-3 times as much is mostly BS for the average rodder! Use discretion and read the descriptions thoroughly.....By the way, since you joined this message board, you're certainly not stupid!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  13. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

thanks everyone! my dad is the one who told me to get these things but gave me no info other than the vague description. I wasn't sure what was the exact thing I was looking for was ..off to E-scambay I goooooo.

14. nutajunka

nutajunka

Just let him know that he will be able to drive it also when finished and that should bring him around and you both closer. A old truck or car isn't worth, any friction at your ages because you never know how long you both will be able to share time together. I have fond memories of my dad and I working on cars and trucks and you both should too.

15. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

fingers crosses!!!!!!!!!!

16. That's too bad that he would get upset that you got the truck and not him. Seems he would be happy that it is staying in the family and going to someone (his own daughter) who seems excited to have it and is going to try to take care of it and appreciate it. Might have to be your job to show him that it in fact did go to the right person and express to him what the truck means to you and ask him for help in keeping it going and your grandpa's memories alive as well. I wouldn't think it would hurt in getting him to warm up to you.

Plus, stick around here and you will have more adoptive fathers and brothers than you will know what to do with, that will help out. Of course, keep in mind these are the kinds of brothers that like to razz, pick on you, pull your hair, and beat up on you too. :D It just comes along with the whole HAMB package.

17. I think I speak for most Dads on here..you are awesome! I hope my daughters try to get me to help them with a build one day..
    Your dad should be very proud!

18. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

Robert's motor parts has alot of truck stuff. You're not stupid, I've heard stupid and you not.

19. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

yeah we just had the heart to hear a few hours ago. He wanted me to sell it as my "real car" for work keeps breaking down..... after the talk he just wants me to get a truck cover so i can repair it little by little.... as he reluctantly said.." well guess since its already here......It can't hurt to fix it up" whooooo hoooooo Its the small victories that make it a good day! Thanks everyone for the continued support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

I do have a question.
    it is a 6 vlt now I know the cost goes up but why, when and should I go 12 vlt I have been able to find 3 guys who know what I am talking about and they each had a diff idea and left me confused ... so input on the idea please???

21. 73RR

73RR

As you may have noticed, there is plenty of help available when the right question is asked. If you cannot find exactly what you 'think' you need/want just fire up this thread again.
    This also works if there is a particular part/piece that you need help finding or identifying.

The 6-volt system is ok, works well as intended, but everything related to the system is old and chasing bare wires will not be fun. The truck is pretty basic in terms of electrical equipment so changing to 12 volt is a good idea. If/when you get to that point there will be some specific equipment issues to deal with and we are all ready to help.

22. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

When I bought the 40 pickup, it was going to be a dad & son project,...That came to a screeching halt, the day he crawled under it with me, to remove the rear end someone had cobbled in....He decided he wasn't a dirt n grease type.... His son is now 17, and into anything with moving parts,.....<He disassembled / reassembled his Christmas bike an hour after he got it>......so I guess it skips a generation !!!

Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK

23. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

12 volts... Reliability, in the form of more "juice" feeding the ignition and starter; a lot of the 6 volt starters work very well on 12 volts, and it cranks a lot faster. Also, the huge majority of accessories are 12 volt. I'm sure there's other reasons as well.

4TTRUK

24. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

lolooloololloollo I had a chevy 2500 hd that did my oil on and the first time I got done with it......ohhhhhhhhh theres just that feeling ......that tingle that itch.......I loved it but it just looks sooooooooo overwhelming when you open the hood......but MAN.....it felt good.....when I was little my favorite thing to do was to go out to the shop and open one draw in my dads snap on tool box that had orange carpet in it under the greasy tools sniff it.....it was the best smell to be like perfume or something.....sooooo odd I KNOW but it just had this smell.. he still has it and it still smells the same...

25. In your case, I'd go the 12 volt route. 12 volt batteries, accesories, light bulbs, etc. are easier to come by than 6 volt ones at any of your local auto parts. 6 volt stuff is being phased out and sometimes difficult to come by right away and sometimes the 6 volt pieces end up costing more as well. You probably will want to plug a cell phone charger or other whatever into a power plug or cigarette lighter and of course most of those items would need a 12 volt power source. Also, the day will come that your battery will be weak or dead (maybe you forget and leave your lights on) and you will need a jump start and is easier to find another vehicle with 12 volt system to help jump you rather than trying to find another with a 6 volt.

26. jazzbum

jazzbum

i've found a good place to look for old shop manuals (the motor's-type, anyway) is the library of any local junior college that offers auto shop courses. they won't let you take them out but you can xerox anything you want. one of the ones around here has manuals back to the 1940s, complete with exploded views and all that good stuff. worth a look.

27. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Although not traditional, sometimes the public library has Chiltons on line for free. When I demo'ed it for my library it went back to 1940. See what they have.

28. zestybacon

zestybacon
    from arkansas

Thanks I will check it out this week.

29. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

....I guess there isn't much else going on in Arkansas these days.....:)

30. squirrel

squirrel

heh...it's a tough decision. You kind of need to be able to predict the future--what will you be doing with the truck? If it's going to eventually be used for transportation, you're probably better off switching over to 12v. If it's going to an occasional show or cruise and you won't have to depend on it, then you could probably live with 6v.