Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Denise, I,m with you but the new tech sure works fine ,I,m a old one also so this stuff is not second hand to me, I need my son to show me(oh he,s 9) man in 67 I owned 200 8 tracks then it when to cassette I must be a slow learner

2. Jaker

Jaker

Would this set up be too 'hard' or draining on a car with a stock generator / charging system?

I'd like to set up a 750w amp in a 1955 Buick.

Would it be better to switch to a gm one-wire?

Thanks in advance!

3. This is great, just what I was looking for. Only one questins for the electronic gurus....is there anything I can use as a on/off dial switch to replace my original knob.
    I will be using the paclc as decibed for volume but I would like something similar to use as a turn on/off switch.

4. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

I did a post on this before, I installed this on my 65 elky and i love it! using my ipod nano with FM reciever I can also use my xm I recommend this to everyone!

5. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Looked this thread up to get the info for my install and thought the rest of you would like to see it bumped up.

6. I'm still doing this identical install 4 years after I first found it. Have done it in at least 3 or 4 cars now and it works perfect every time!

7. jipp

jipp

cool. been thinking about this as i have to have music.. as ill be hiding the stereo i can get away with just using the bluetooth.. however, it wont charge.. but the ipod touch is pretty good for battery charge if you just listen to music and not keep turning the screen on.. about 2 hours is all i get for a charge if i watch a movie..
    i have to admit i love my ipod touch.. i also love my tube guitar amps.. im just glad i can be spoiled and have both.
    chris.

8. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Just thinking, Where would I hide this and speakers in a Model A? Was a radio even an option in 30/31??

9. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Great thread. I'll be doing this in my pickup soon.

10. Dan

Dan

a little o/t here but I figure since this a music thread...the kids put a head unit, amp and subs in our '40 chevy pickup, one side of the amp quit powering the sub so the kids hooked both subs up to one side of the amp and now both move...how do I trouble shoot/fix this? Can one side go bad and the other works? Stereo stuff is black magic to me so any help is appreciated...the amp is (if I remember right, I am not at the shop right now either Alpine or Rockfod Fosgate and the subs are Rockford Fosgate, if that matters....??) thanks-

11. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

what is an IPOD?

12. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

If both subs work off of one channel then the subs are working, so put them back on their own channels and just swap the RCA (red/white) signal cables on the input side of the amp. Does the problem switch sides or stay like it was before. This will tell you if the amp is the problem or not, just keep working your way backwards through the system until you find the culprit. It could be a pinched RCA cable or something along those lines. I could go a lot more in depth but since we're already O/T I'll just leave it at that. P.M. me if you have any questions.

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

going to bring this one back up as I plan to go with an IPod set up noted throughout this post but need some advice on an AMP as it has been so long (early 90's) since i have had a system with multiple speakers and AMPs (do I need a 3, 4 or 5 channel amp).

I decided my current 51 chevy hardtop build up is about getting back to having fun and building a car that can roll miles down the freeway with no problems and good tunes. I want some bump in the trunk to play my old Beastie boys, NWA and what ever else I have on the IPod that bumps.. when I am in the mood.

I really do not need a deck (IPod is fine) and would like to run 4 to 6 speakers in the car (2 - 6" and mid/tweets in the door, 2 more 6" in the rear seat area and 2 10" or 12" subwoofers in the trunk (heck maybe 3 JL Audio 12's for that old school mini truck days)

What channel AMP do I need or should I go with two AMPs? (prefer to go with 1)

14. If you can live without the subs, a simple 4 channel amp would suffice nicely. You could use the front two channels to run the tweeters/mids up front. Then use the back two channels to run something a bit more substantial like a 6 x 9 to get a little of the kick. If you still wanted subs, you could do a couple different things. Split the inputs into the amp and run to a self amplified sub set, or you could build your own and split the outputs to some subs.

15. detroitboy27

detroitboy27
    from katy, tx

You could always get a preamped bazooka tube, they come in 8, 10, and 12 inches. I had a 8 in stashed behind the seat of my OT S-10 standard cab and sounded damn good for being in such a little space

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

so I need either a 5 channel or two amps for what I want to do. (no bazooka and no 6x9's.. )

17. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

When I sold & designed systems for a living I would use a 4 ch. with the fronts amp'd & the rear 2 amp channels bridged to a sub setup. The rear speakers I would power off of te deck or a much smaller amp. Reason being, in a proper setup you want the front louder than the front, plus with the rear speakers in the rear deck they get an acoustic amplification due to the shape of the package tray & rear glass.

18. greaser

greaser

HUH?
    Man, I think I'll just listen to the motor.

19. There are such things as 5 ch amps with that separate sub line out, they are just usually more costly to go that route.

20. Gator

Gator

Since I saw this post I've put this setup in every car I've owned...

Be careful where you mount your amp - sounds like common sense but do they do get HOT! I recently put it in my '55 Caddy and just sorta slid the Amp under the seat till I could get the time to mount it.

Halfway home from the Rumble in Indy this weekend I smelled smoke, the amp had melted the carpet under the seat and it was smoldering... turned the works off and slid it out. No major damage but it coulda been a major fire....

21. Thought I had better post on this thread since I don't remember if I posted on Ryans thread. I got an Ipod for my B day a coupls of years ago. Not being a head phone type I don't really us it and it has some good period correct music on it (that would be period correct for me I am afraid :eek:)

I think I even have an amp that came on an old hooptie that I bought to bail a brother out so I am halfway there for one vehicle at least. :D

Thanks for posting this saves me from looking for Ryans post or asking him to send me a link.

Cool beans,
    Benno

22. deeddude

deeddude

I recently did the ipod thing in my 54'. What started as a simple install with a small 2 channel amp and small speakers using the factory grill turned into a stereo and interior redo. I used a 5 channel to run the front and rears stereo and a pair of subs running mono on the 5th channel. I went with an el cheapo amp just to get by and try to stay within a budget. Sounds decent. No pictures of the install of the amp because it only temporary. All 5 channel amps are HUGE.

The post on using an ipod that Ryan started shows what I did with the factory radio to control the volume and sub output, somewhere near the end. I like things to match so you could get two matching 4-channel amps and use one for the 4 speakers and one amp running mono to two subs. Did this in my sons ot car with two small alpine 4 channels and it sounds damn good.

23. squirrel

squirrel

I got my old truck running again, it has speakers but I took the old underdash cassette deck out. I ordered a $25 PYLE 2 Ch 300 W Mini Amp w/ipod Direct Input PLIPA2 from ebay, I'll give it a try. Rated 15 watts/channel RMS into 4 ohms. Has an ipod docking connector.

Maybe I'll remember to let you know how it works once I get it installed....

24. Its a modern day version of those deals from invasion of the body snatchers.

25. jrt49box

jrt49box

I have gone wireless. speakers work with bluetooth. all my music is on my phone. if i decide to get the base speaker i will need a small 12 volt battery and inverter and hide it all in the trunk.

26. cederholm

cederholm

For my '53 Chevy I picked up a cheap 5 channel amp for Crutchfield - I think it was cheap because it's the size of a small bus! Anyway, mounted it in the trunk with some 6x9 in the package tray and mid and tweets in the front doors. I kept the fifth channel open should I want to add a small sub. My iPod plug is on the front seat and the volume control is down by the seat adjuster.

Some pics and info here!

27. And all I want is to get my AM radio to work again .............................................:D

28. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in this thread, but it's 11:30, I busted my ass out in the SC sun all day, and frankly, I'm in no mood to sift through 15 pages looking for the keyword "6V", so here goes...

I have decided to stay 6V in my '53 for as long as the Gods of low voltage decide to smile upon me. Not because I don't WANT to go 12V, but because if I'm going to keep the car rolling down the road where it belongs, I can think of better things to spend my $200 on. Like wheel bearings, for example.

I love the idea of an iPod and some small speakers just to get some tunes going. I think I might even know where my iPod is, though I haven't seen it in years. So the question remained, where was I going to get 12V to push the speakers...

I just bought two of these little bastards on evilbay, and if they throw 12V to what I want them to throw 12V to, I may order one or two more...

Classic car 6V to 12V voltage converter power
    Item Number: 350436684000

I'm going to try to use one for the sound system, and perhaps the other to power 12V headlights. Or maybe I'll take it to the starter solenoid for a quicker start. Either way, I'm hoping one of them will at least get me some tunes going in the Chev.

Can't really argue with the price, so if it doesn't work, eh, whatever. Any thoughts?

29. squirrel

squirrel

Input DC 3.5V~10V, output 12V, 1.5A 18Watt

That won't run headlights. It will run a small amplifier.

30. squirrel

squirrel

I got the cute little piece of crap in the mail today. It has a stereo volume control built in. Also the input cord for the ipod is an option, there is another version that has a normal 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo jack for any audio device to plug into.

I'm thinking of desoldering the volume control, and remoting it with 6 wires, so I can mount it in the dash, where the original radio volume control was. I'll mount the amp behind the dash too.

Attached Files: