Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help making decision on a car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by new54belair, Jun 25, 2012.

1. new54belair

new54belair

Hey guys and gals,its been a while, its time for me to get back to the oldies. I have the oppertunity to buy a 54 ford customline,the body has very little rust,the interior is in pretty bad shape and the floors in the front are pretty bad. The good is that it runs and drives with the original motor and trans. the guy wants 3500 but i talked him down to 2000. should i snatch this up before its gone,i dont think i will restore it instead make a nice ratrod. ive always owned chevys so this will be my first old ford,thats why i need to know if its worth 2000,i know chevys would go for way more, thanks.

2. 1954 Fords were overlooked for more desirable cars in the past but have experienced a hugh gain in popularity over the last 10 years/

2 grand is a good price for a running car,,lets see photos.

Forget the RR here your life will be much better we speak traditional. HRP

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  3. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

If you are taking this great old ford and turning it into a ratrod, shame on you! Actually there are other great forums such as ratrodsrule that you may want to get on instead of HAMB which is a traditional forum site. You have made 54 posts you should know that by now!

4. new54belair

new54belair

Yes I have posted on 54 Chevy before,not ford ,thats why im asking,I didnt know if a ford is worth restoring or ratroding,Pic can be seen on craigslist,Albany Ga,thanks

5. spiders web

spiders web

Any time you can make a move up its always a good thing. Great deal. Get it, drop it, lake pipes, tuck an roll, fuzzie dice and get mama to dress up alittle and have fun..

6. What spiders web said and please no RR.

7. new54belair

new54belair

I may be wrong when i'm saying ratrod, what I mean is wide whites, red wheels, nice satin black paint and nice interior, i'm not saying I want to make it rusty and tore up looking.

8. Square One

Square One

I think you should paint it a different shade than satin/suede/flat black.

Think of it more as budget built and not "rat rodded".

Anyways good luck with the car and have fun!

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks pretty solid for $2,000. If it runs real good, I'd buy it.

How 'bout "hot rod" or "mild custom" instead of "RR".

Good luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Square One

Square One

You could do it similar to Eli's car.

Attached Files:

11. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

12. kscarguy

kscarguy

IMO - I would not invest too much as that year Ford will generally not return a lot on the investment. $5 to 7K max. Buld it because you like the looks, not to make money.
    I am not a big fan of flat black paint. It always looks unfinished, even when done well. Looking at the pics of the car, it appears quite straight. I would put a paint job on it. Maybe even the original green used on the firewall. You could flatten that a bit and you're golden. Yes, wide whites would look neat. Lower it a bit if possible without spending too much money to do it. Fix the floors right, put cool seat covers on it, a stereo system and a hoola girl on the dashboard...:)

13. new54belair

new54belair

Thanks everyone, good ideas from all, ima buy it, will post more pics after I get it

14. STAY AWAY!!! '54 Fords make terrible mild customs! :rolleyes:

Here is my old one - what a waste... ;):D

[​IMG]

As stated above, can't get any money out of them when they are done.:rolleyes:

(yes, I am being completely sarcastic)

Buy it and have fun with it.

15. How could you beat him down on price and then still be on the fence? Usually you do that when you are ready to buy.
    If you like the car buy it, if it doesn't get you excited then wait for something else.

~Alden

16. metalman

metalman

Really? Guess I got real lucky selling some I had over the years, got $9500 for one last year, nice running mild custom but needing paint/upholstery. Guy I sold it to ruined it IMHO, he painted it satin black!
    As you can tell I'm really tired of the satin black/ red wheel thing.
    $2000 sounds decent if it runs good and the rust/ rot is limited to the floors. They make great mild customs or being a coupe, nice hot rods.

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

18. RAT ROD
    RAT ROD
    RAT ROD

Yeah, you talked him down 1500 on a 3500 car and didn't buy it, why did you do that ?

19. banginona40

banginona40

I would say that is a $3,000 car. Pick it up for $2,000 maybe put another $2,000 in to it and have a nice ride. Just my $.02
    I wouldn't really care if the engine ran or not as I would take it out and replace it first thing.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  20. bbr

bbr
    from Missouri

if i could find something like that for 2k i would already be driving it!!!

21. new54belair

new54belair

31 Vicky, if I bought it and paid 3500 for it and posted on here and then it turned out to not be worth but lets say 500 then you would be blasting me for not researching, like I said this will be the first old ford that I will have, that's why I started this tread for some info, yeah I didn't buy it yet simply because I didn't know, now after hearing everybody I know i'm buy it

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You swore. I'm tellin'.

23. There I fixed it for you. That other word is a no-no here.

24. outlaw256

outlaw256

thanks man, i thought i was gonna have to look him up and throw eggs at him!!!lol. damn buddy you went at that all backwards and could have wasted his time.you make up your mind you want it THEN you work on the price.if that car looks as good in real world as it does in the pics id go after it myself. i love them old fords.and i have quite a few now. not bad for a guy that was building chevys for over 30 yrs.

25. new54belair

new54belair

Thanks for correcting me Dr Jones96

26. If you have talked him down to 2K he thinks that you have already bought it.

Nothing wrong with a '54 ford I owned a couple when they are not popular and a coupe of '54 mercs as well.

I am not sure what a rat rod '54 would be. A couple of mine were beaters and the other two were finished well.

Please don't describe a rat rod '54 to me. I think in pictures and that is an image I don't need.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wash his mouth out with lacquer thinner...:p

28. new54belair

new54belair

Geez, ok, forget I said"the bad word", thanks for everyone who HAS HELPED me make a decision on buying the car

29. Forgot ! ? ! ? You've been here since 2007