Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Ha ha those boys must take you out on a lot of special occassions Don, I was always gonna sort the springs but wanted to get all the weight on the front first. I reckon it came out sweet, just enough shackle showing :)

Will bring you some of our new shirts when we get over this year, just at the design stage at the moment.

2. patman

patman

So shackles are like gasser cleavage? :D

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I reckon so mate :)

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Brilliant.

5. hemi v8

hemi v8

Love the doors Langy, very cool!!!!

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

7. n847

n847

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

9. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

steve, you dont have to try not to disappoint, the only way you could disappoint would be to stop building!! now about that 34 3w....CANT WAIT!!

10. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, Have you run the new mill for your Willys yet ? Bet it is going to be one wild sounding mill. All the best from the High Desert.

Dave

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dave no the motor is not assembled yet, I have basically all the parts to put it together now.
    I want to get the rolling frame all blasted and painted and then I will build the motor, should only take a week of evenings to get it done, block is bored but needs painting, crank is ground and everything is balanced, Art Carr th400 gearbox is built but again needs painting.
    I'm flat out on it but it's all taking time I'm afraid.

Hope you are well and things have turned around you mate.

12. BashingTin

BashingTin

By far my favorite build thread on the HAMB! I love the way you think and work out solutions for each piece you create. You are a real artist and inspiration. I am also very thankful you take the extra time to post your progress in such detail!

Thank you.

David

13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks David, your too kind.

14. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Langy, Thanks so much for the kind words. I do have a lady who picked me on Christian Mingle and it is the start of a long distance relationship. She lives in Tucson Az. We spent two days together on Memorial Day weekend. We talk by cell phone in the morning and afternoon. We are both widowers and also both have lost quite a bit of weight. When I saw her for the first time I almost fell to my knees. She was so much better looking than her Mingle photo. I also spent three days a week ago with her at Las Vegas. . . . . Now no one get excited, we did not get married, we are still just friends.

thanks again for your kind words.

Dave :eek:

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Steve, you must have a really great chrome shop near you, not only does his work look great but he seems to get stuff done quickly for you. Are the laws that govern chromers a little more lax in the UK than here, do you think ? They are making it really hard for chromers to operate over here with all the EPA regs and all.

Don

16. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

No kidding Don, you should try and do biz in Cali....the regs are ridiculous, no wonder the state is so messed up....

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don the chromer is a mate of mine, he has been chroming & polishing his whole life, yes he is good, I've had chrome by him on some of my cars for 20 years and it has stayed perfect. He also gives me trade discount so I save a bundle. He has done all my chrome for the last 42 years !!!

Yep Health & Safety is the same here, my mate gets hassle from the local council every week, he owns the land his building is on and they want it so they give him a hard time.

Most of the good chrome shops are gone these days, there used to be 4 or 5 near me but now they are all gone.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

42 years ? Do you think you are going to stay with him ? :DThat is what is going on here too, Steve, when one closes up they won't let a new one open. Advance Plating was damaged in the hurricane and before they would let them reopen they had to put in some very expensive reclamation equipment, from what I saw on a TV show.

We have a good one here, Gulf Plating, but they are on the east coast of Florida so we have to either ship stuff over or put it in the car and make a few hour trip. Wish there was one closer, but they are worth the trip.

Don

19. Davyj

Davyj

That car just keeps getting better and better, Langy. If I had seen the pics a week ago, I would have picked you up a shirt from the Bubba Gump shop on Santa Monica pier :) while we were at the LA roadster show..............maybe someone else here should do that for ya, just to say thanks for sharing all the tips and build magic.

Thanks again for taking the time to share.
    Dave J, Blue 32

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Dave.

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Just a few small jobs to do before i strip it to paint the chassis, one of the jobs was to brace the firewall, Willys bodys always seem to have the dors drooping when opened and mine is no different, its only a tiny bit now but its annoying.

My firewall is cut right back and even though it has a tube frame its still flexes slightly, the answer was to put in a tube either side to connect the firewall to the front of the chassis horn.
    The tube is 16swg 1.5" 316L stainless, it doesn't need to be thick wall as this is very strong in compression & light. Bends are mandrel bent 316L stainless.

Flat threaded plates are welded behind the firewall to bolt into.

Didn't have any 1.5" flanges to hand so used the 2" triangular ones that i keep in stock, these needed an adaptor to make up the shortfall in size.

Adaptors were spun up in the lathe and welded into the flanges from the rear to keep it all looking neat & tidy, all parts were polished before welding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. farmer12

farmer12

The master is doing what he does best! Nice job Steve!

23. Think, Steve is the guy who invented the stainless steel, what, Eric? ;)

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I think jack of all trades, master of none would be a better term Eric but thanks

25. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

thats beautiful----is it adjustable?for future body tweaking[engine power twisting]

26. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Not adjustable Brian but it could be done with triangular shims i guess.

27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think those actually add to the race car look of the car, Steve. They look like the forward bars that some drag cars have that tie in the roll cage. How hard is it to bend ss tubing as compared to mild steel ?

Don

28. Beautiful work, Steve, as usual ....

I remember doing something similar to this on a 39 Chevy phantom sedan cabriolet I had awhile back - the whole cowl area would move like crazy. Did something like you did Steve, made it adjustable, and voila'! Problem solved....

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

If you have a good tube bender is no more difficult than normal steel Don, these were done with exhaust bends & tube to keep the weight down :D

30. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Steve, once again you amaze me....thanks for always raising the bar....you must be pretty tall lol