Register now to get rid of these ads!

flathead coils

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A tub, Jun 23, 2012.

1. A tub

A tub

what coils do u guys use, i was aiming for something i can hang upside down on my a firewall, i spoke to a guy at my local speed shop today and said he used to sell resin filled round (normal looking) coil , but didnt like the reliability of em, the only ones he sells are oil filled and doesnt recomend hanging them upside down incase of leakage, however i know my brother is on his roadster, the oil is in there to cool the windings inside i understand this, whats your opinions on this subject???

i have a mallory twin point , that im putting pertonix module inside

cheers A-tub

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  2. daddio211

daddio211

I can't help you, but I'm interested too. Here's a bump!

3. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

4. moefuzz

moefuzz

It sounds like that salesmen is an idiot, oh wait he's a Salesmen!

Old Ford coils are amongst the most reliable coils ever made. They have been mounted sideway, upside down, from the frame and even in the wheel tub and unlike your local "Salesman", Macs Antique Auto won't gouge you on the price whether 6 or 12 volt.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It may not help but I installed my coil on the inside of the firewall on the T bucket I built in the 70's and ran the coil wire though a grommet in the firewall. that might help if you don't have a proper place to put it.

6. Flatman

Flatman

I'm running a Bosch 12v high output for electronic ignition, but have it mounted upright using the standard late flathead mount. It's what I had laying around, but works great for me with the Igniter II from Pertronics.

Flatman

7. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I bent up a bracket and mounted it to a water pump bolt, sorta tucked in at the front.

Attached Files:

8. A tub

A tub

cheers to everyone for their input, yes the front mounted bracket is prob best way , closer to dissy , and spark goes strait in,

ok so what type of coils are u guys using??????

flatman yes ignitor 11 is the one, cheep mod, easy to do

9. A tub

A tub

bumpsy doodles

10. AV88

AV88

Just use the gt40 and put it upside down on the firewall it's done me for 6 years with no probs

11. swanwaco32

swanwaco32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use Bosch coils for VW air cooled cars with matching condensor on point ignition systems. There quality is first rate and will mount in any position.

12. A tub

A tub

yeah i know urs has been there for a while ash, i can run a gt40r with the pertronics , but trying to see what every one else is running and if they have inverted em:)

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

The rumor is that oil-filled coils have air pockets and if you mount them anyway other than vertical that part of the windings will not be covered in oil and will overheat.

14. A tub

A tub

yes ive heard this as well, my brother AV88 has been running his upside down for a gd few years though, i think its 1 of those things where some will say its good and others will say its bad, which is part of reason i started this thread,
    Has anyone had a bad experience with inverting these things im keen to here stories good and bad here, thank you all for your opinions and advice:)

15. If you are running an Ignitor II run a Flame Thrower II coil. If you mount it sideways, make sure that you have the terminals horizontal or it will overheat internally. If you run it upside down, just run your finger over the seam around the can to the top (which is now the bottom) to make sure there is no oil. Occasionally we get a leaker from a bad crimp, but pretty rare.
    Don from PerTronix

16. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I use a "generic" 12 volt coil, mounted on it's side next to the rt side head;.....Hasn't leaked yet. Running Mallory crab style, electronic dissy.

4TTRUK

17. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Theres really no reason not to mount it in any direction you wish, unless the coil has a design problem !
    OEM s have mounted them in every direction known to man for many years...
    however there's some cheap stuff out there !!

18. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

It is a Ford flathead six, but I have an Accel Super Stock coil meant for a Mopar. (It was already in the garage!) with a condenser from a late '60's Blazer and a ballast resistor from a late '60's Dodge. (My '48 has been converted to 12V.)

19. A tub

A tub

cheers don for the advice, its good to have someone representing a company whom is being completely honest, ill def take this advice well

thankyou to all for their input, im going to give dons idea a try and see where it heads, like many have said coils have been mounted upside down for decades, and they were all oil filled, so in that way im going to do it, and basically if doesnt work for me , ill grab another coil and maybe another plan, coils arnt pricey so why not, thankyou every one:D
    A-TUB