Register now to get rid of these ads!

Since we are so traditional here.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lippy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Back in the day at the drag strips, it was Stock, Modified Production, Gas class and the Altered class, that all ran on gas. A few of us are older and were really there doing it and have the rule books too.;)

Lippy, go to your room.:D

2. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Apparently I'm dealing with the "books with pictures crowd" the words are just getting in the way. I don't give a good god damn about your rule books and no nobody is trying to rewrite history.

you see this car??...recognize it huh?!

[​IMG]

I chose it because it's a car that if HE was posting you would all be licking his knob like a turkey leg at the state fair. It's a gasser, but guess what?? It runs ALCOHOL! Do you get it??! That's the whole point I'm trying to make.Gasser has morphed from a CLASS of car into a STYLE of car.
    Now I don't know him, but I have a feeling if you can find him at the dragstrip he will be real interested to hear your thoughts about how his car ain't a gasser.
    Later Dinks

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  3. gasser...not funny

4. Deuces

Deuces

When was the last time you saw a gas station selling 106 octane "leaded" premium for dirt cheap????.... :(

5. Deuces

Deuces

Ever heard the term "tipping the can"???..
    It's all about adding more Nitro to the mix.... :D:D:D

6. Deuces

Deuces

Is that anything like corn liquor (sp)???..:D:D

7. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Bean Dip, if you're directing your reply to me, I don't see your problem with my post. I clearly stated facts, as they were in a period of time. Just for clarity, not to attack or change anyone's mind. I was just adding some history/facts and then poking fun at my buddy Lippy.

If your just interested in calling names, nob licking comments and stupid crap like that, I'm not interested. It doesn't add anything to your posts, at least to me.

Perhaps it would have been clearer to me and others, if you had posted the car earlier, to guide your conversation in that direction. Just a thought.

8. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

True!

9. cheveey57

cheveey57

So then that means you have To go with the 116 octane because traditionally we spend a lot of money on our toys.....

10. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

todays newstalgia???? gassers run what the owner is comfortable with. I have been racing gassers the last 6 or so years, have had 6 different cars, half gas half alky. i curently have two, one of each one super lightweight on gas, runs in the nines, one big mtr not finished but should run in the 8s. alky and I have not once seen a rule against or for either one in todays world, but then my shit isnt legal at the hamb drags (newstalgia ya know) see ya at the modern nostalgia races....

11. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Well this thread sure went to shit. I'll agree, the original question was kinda lame, but personally, I'm just ecstatic anymore to see a car that somebody made a real effort to look the part without a bunch of excuses. Can't we all just get along?

12. Larry T

Larry T

I think (for the sake of this thread) you have to run 116 octane because Gassers (racecars) run high compression engines.

And I think a lot of the trouble with the type of fuel is that everyone is looking at Gassers from different perspectives and eras.

One definition for what gassers were in the 60's. That's even subject to discussion depending on whether you're talking class racing, match racing, outlaw gassers or ???????????????

Then you have racers that are trying to keep the feel of the class alive. And to be fair, even a high tech Gasser from the 60's wouldn't pass tech for a 9.90 racer now days. So you're not gonna have a period correct legal car going down the track anyway, so why stress over what fuel you run. It would be interesting to know what Blew by You, all of the Rocky Pirrone tribute cars, and the S&S cars run.

The "Street Gasser" crowd would have a different opinion too.

Like I said in a previous post, I like checking out the old rulebooks for what a Gasser WAS. Kinda take a little different opinion about what a Gasser IS today.

13. afaulk

afaulk

Uh...well lets see, gassers ran gas but you can run anything ya want, in a car that has "the look of a gasser" and most people will call them Gassers because of how they look. In the early days of Pro Modified, most racers ran gas assisted by another gas, Nitrous Oxide. This allowed them to burn MORE GAS, making more horsepower. Then some enterprising souls started running alky and nitrous, or alky and fuel (nitro). Then the folks with MORE MONEY got involved and started running blown alky engines, and ultimately alky funny car engines, 526 cu. in. and screw blowers, (MORE MONEY not allowed in NHRA) or 800+ cu in nitrous engines, or 650 cu. in. turbo engines. A competetive blown alky pro mod with the blower spun up is making close to 60 lbs of boost, with an effective compression ratio of approx 60-1 and close to 5,000 hp. Sorry if this is a bit long winded. I was trying to answer porknbeaners question.

14. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I, for one, question the traditionality of that ride.:confused:

15. afaulk

afaulk

Who was that masked man????????????

16. This thread give me gas :eek: :D

17. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

the alcohol cars are like a fat woman.. fun to think about for a minute but reality quickly sets.. lol.. maybe i just have an old soul but i say gas!!!

18. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

O.K. so when are you going to paint it? Ron

19. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

lmao!!!!!! hahahahaha.. i always wanted one of those

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

When I restored the Ron Bizio truck for Tom Willford (Vintagegasser) he insisted on making it as close to the period as possible. The other cars running on the west coast, less than a half a dozen, all ran alky. Blown gas is a lot harder to tune and run than alcohol, gas makes more heat in a hurry, you have to burnout second, as the alky burners can take their time and get your water boiling. We ran VP 16 gas, and the sound and wisp of smoke out of a correctly tuned early Hemi is hard to match,thank you Gene Adams! In 1987 the other cars in the class ran cast iron Chryslers and big block Chevys, ran times in the mid-8's, with the exception of Junior Thompson with a Donovan block, as I remember. Willford ran 9.21 at 151 with a 398" Chrysler and Torqueflite and 12" tires. As time passed, in came the Lencos, Aluminum blocks and heads, 17" tires, rear wings and so on, so much for tradition. Long answer but my vote is gasoline.

Attached Files:

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

According to his intro...

Ha ha, doesn't have a car.

22. Danny G

Danny G

In the sixties you could buy 104 octane at the pump. Pour in a bottle of Texaco carb cleaner you were at 110. Much better than what we get now.

23. spiders web

spiders web

You run fuel of course. Alky is the person behind the wheel. Hahahahaha

24. Lucky3

Lucky3

Ha ha, doesn't have a car.[/QUOTE]

Your right Zman, he doesn't have a car...he has a race car (sub 6 second 1/8 mile and sub 9 sec 1/4 mile) A real race car !
    I'm another one that has a "Newstalgia" race car and races locally and at the big meets (March Meet, CHRR, Bowling Green, etc). Local Nostalgia racing groups come and go for many reasons. Rules usually kill the deal...
    All I know is the stands are packed at the "Newstalgia" races cause the old cars are fast as hell with wheels in the air !! Most local "Nostalgia" period correct races don't have many people in the stands (HAMB Drags exception but that's not a race) and are slow cars that are boring to watch and the tracks won't support ( cause nobody's in the stands). The track has to benifit financially also to stay in business. Nobody really cares what fuel they burn as long as they go FAST and are old cars.

25. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I have to go with Bean Dip on this one and Lucky3 makes some good points also.

As long as the car looks the part why make things harder than it has to be. When an alky fuel system is sorted out it's a pleasure at the track. I have to think it's even more important with a blower.

Using some of the logic I've seen here some would require Pure racing gas purchased in 1963 that now smells like turpentine.

Soooooo, I think it would be to the car owner's advantage to use the best fuel available for their combo (even if it is alky) and I don't see how that would diminish the period look.

26. Larry T

Larry T

OK, since everyone is still splitting hairs on this, I notice the 56 rules say "Must run service station pump gas". Where you gonna find pump gas that is good enough to put in a race car. Last VP I saw came in a 55 gallon barrel.

Just stirring the pot.

Just checked 64/66/71/73 , same specs. No additives or av gas.

So to clarify my stand on things, if you have a time machine and can go back to the 60's ya gotta run pump gas. If your racing now, run what you want. You probably can't find any pump gas (around here anyway) that won't kill your engine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  27. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

That's a great shot Marty.:cool: Thanks, I'm adding that one to my Desktop/Screen Saver collection.:D

28. slammed

slammed

Your right Zman, he doesn't have a car...he has a race car (sub 6 second 1/8 mile and sub 9 sec 1/4 mile) A real race car !
    I'm another one that has a "Newstalgia" race car and races locally and at the big meets (March Meet, CHRR, Bowling Green, etc). Local Nostalgia racing groups come and go for many reasons. Rules usually kill the deal...
    All I know is the stands are packed at the "Newstalgia" races cause the old cars are fast as hell with wheels in the air !! Most local "Nostalgia" period correct races don't have many people in the stands (HAMB Drags exception but that's not a race) and are slow cars that are boring to watch and the tracks won't support ( cause nobody's in the stands). The track has to benifit financially also to stay in business. Nobody really cares what fuel they burn as long as they go FAST and are old cars.[/QUOTE]

Sub 9's? What motor?

29. Nostalgia cars are no more than a moder race car with an old looking body.

Someone mentioned pump gas being rotten these days as an excuse to run methane in a "gasser," pretty poor excuse on a car that is trailerd to the track. I have not been to a track that did not have high octane gasoline for sale or you can by your own.

Someone mentioned splitting hairs, here is a hair for you to split. It is a gasser not a fueler. My guess is that it would be as think as an elephant hair but it is still a hair to split.

By the way the 9 second car I rode in was an injected naturaly aspirated 394 olds. No electronics what so ever. Just an old fasioned gas class car.

Perhaps alcohol running cooler sounds like a good excuse, but an excuse is like a sausage the skin of the truth stuffed with a lie.

One of the things about racing that seems to be lost is that you have to learn how to make your car go fast within a certain set of guidelines. Sometimes you have to learn how to get around the guidelines, some rules are open to interpretation others are pretty clear. Tuning is as big a part of racing as spending cash on the parts that you managed to thrash.

Sometimes we say that something like alcohol runs cooler and that is why we want to run it but the truth is that we don't know how to make one run on gas. Tuning I am afraid is a lost art or almost a lost art.

Now someone is going to get upset by that and they probably should I hit a little too close to home with my last statement. But you could just set out to prove me wrong. Run your gasser on gas and make it hit the mark. Then someone will step up and say gee that guy knows his shit, and they will be talking sbout you.

I guess that you are missing the whole point of the thread. A gasser runs on gas. If it is not running on gas it is not a gasser.

Now I guess someone is trying to keep the spirit of the car alive. Well the spirit of the car is the heart of the car not just how it looked. The look we seem to like is the later '60s look which is fine by me. In the later '60s there were plenty of exciting cars running gas class on guess what gas. They may not have filled up at the local Sunoco on the way to the track they may have been running race gas but it was gas not alcohol.

Sure we all like the smell of an alky burner hell I like the smell of one running on pop, but that's not the point.

Maybe it is fine to call one a gasser because it looks like a gasser and the general public ignorant of the fact will not care what it is running on. The point of the thread is spelled out in the name of the thread. Traditional gassers. Not traditional styled gassers running on fuel because the fella that owns it or the general public doesn't know any better.

Not saying that out of meaness by the way and I do appreciate your answering my question. I chose promod cars because they resemble real cars as opposed to funny cars that don't resemble cars at all. I am ashamed to say that I do not keep up with the NHRA any more. That is why I just threw that out and left th rest up to those who do keep up with the NHRA.

Anyway thanks for stepping up and answering a question for me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  30. Larry T

Larry T

Benno,
    The point I was making in my last post is that VP is just as illegal as alcohol. If you're going by the letter of the rulebook, you're gonna have to run a low compression engine now. Sure would be tough with any kind of blower motor.

That said, if and when the 55 or Anglia hits the track it'll Have VP in it. I LOVE the way it smells. No bubblegum or grape for me. :D