Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone "lead" any more ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Magnum Wheel Man, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

I remember getting lessons on it ( more to just get familiar with it ) in my auto body shop class I had a long time ago, back in highschool...

in starting on my Studie truck project, I think the base of the windshield frame is shaped / filled with lead... it still looks great after all these years, & I'm going to do my best not to disturb it...

but got me thinking... does anyone lead any more, or has everyone gone to plastic body filler ???

2. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I never had the resources to learn lead (though I sincerely wanted to), but I'm a believer in its durability, especially for older vehicles with heavier-gague sheet metal! Main advantages of plastic filler are: fast and light.

4. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Buddy Palumbo does lead.....

CB

5. What material are you using? Does the newer 'alloy' work as well as the 'old stuff'?

6. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

perhaps if this is a dieing art... I should shape up some paddles, & try using it as filler when I channel the front of my truck ???

I honestly don't remember too many details... that was long ago... I have a bunch of pure lead cane ( from FIL's old stained glass hobby ) or would I be better off using an alloy... ( I have about a ton of bullet casting alloy ) or could just stick a couple wheel weights together to make my lead stick ???

& if I remember right, we used ( an acid ??? ) in a spray bottle as flux to get the lead to flow on the steel ???

7. 351cmach

351cmach
    from Ma

I just started to learn how to lead. Self teaching. Unfortunately it is a dying art.

8. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I'm pleased to be able to report that it's alive and well over here in England in the capable hands of my friend Jim at Royal Kustoms. Here is the lead work he did on my running boards to turn them into Lake pipe housings.

Attached Files:

9. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

10. bonesy

bonesy

My friend in Albuquerque still uses lead at his collision shop, even for standard insurance work.

I think that is so cool.

11. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

on new,regular sedans?

my weekly metal work blog www.themetalsurgeon.com

12. bonesy

bonesy

Yes sir. I bet he's one of the few in the country left.

13. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

sorry,find that hard to believe.It wouldn't make sense/cost effective to lead a new car that never had that treatment in the first place.

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I've been wanting to learn for years. My father knows how to do it, but I can't get him to teach me. His response is usually "why the hell would you want to lead anything?"

I tried to buy an old timers leading stuff, but he wouldn't sell. "I still use it sometimes"

I signed up for Gene Winfield's class in a few weeks. If anyone can teach me it will be him.

15. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

come to Denver, i will teach you for free.

16. bonesy

bonesy

Ok. Don't believe me.

17. DAVEO!

DAVEO!

i lead! self taught to i dont think i do to bad

18. oj

oj

I picked up on it last year or so and do it often. I just find more and more ways to apply it - like those holes for toggle switches added to an old dash, i stick a piece of brass behind the hole and lead it so quick you'd almost miss the whole thing.
    Whenever i tig in a patchpanel i have my leadstuff right there. I set back the tig torch and lead it right up while eveything is still warm - i don't mean it is warm enough to melt the lead i still have to use the torch etc.
    I haven't tried to do anything deep with it, like the guys that can do the customs. That is another skill level, i saw a headlight surround a guy on here leaded and parts were at least a 1/2" deep and i bet controlling the lead and heat to be able to do that is difficult.

19. odins701

odins701

Watch this and you'll be leading in no time.
    <iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SD98LDc0GAI?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

20. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

i work for Ford, New Model Programs/Prototype. we build bodies and have a whole department that leads seams and small imperfections. same way at the assembly plant.

21. oj

oj

Do you guys have a way to get the lead to a 'plastic' state and apply it with a trowel? I have seen films of assembly plants and the body guys 'wiping' the lead on.
    Can you describe it, or take a camera to work and, like, you know, make us a training film? I promise we will all ignore the secret and classified work on the newest, latest and greatest body styles.

22. falcon-61

falcon-61
    from Chicago

I do it. I haven't in a long time but it's a good skill to have. I filled some swiss cheese in the back of some really cool headlights for a hot rod at a shop I used to work at along with some rocker panel holes. It's good for that kind of repair too if you know what you're doing. It would of been a pain to cut out the bad parts of the headlight and weld in new steel. Hardly needed any body filler too. Eastwood's kit is a nice start, make you're own paddles for specific contours if you need them. Just give it a try, it's easier than people think you just have to prep it right and keep your heat low so your half a days work doesn't slide off and on to the floor. I hate when that happens! haha

23. metalman

metalman

I'll vouch for Bonesy, yeah his shop still is a lead only shop and they do late model stuff. Don't really know why and he tells me it's getting tough to find body techs (go figure) that can do it. He once told me I have a standing job offer if I ever wanted to get back into collision work but that's not going to happen.
    I still do only metal finishing/ lead work in my shop, no bondo but I don't do it very often, not many willing to pay for it these days.
    I had a retired body man teach me lead work back in the 70's. He started me on a dent in the side of a 1/4 panel, told me to take off my shoes. Said when that hot lead ran off I'd learn heat control real fast that way:eek:.

24. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

as cool as that would be, i like my job a whole lot more than i like you guys:D no offense fellas. there are no cameras allowed on the property without an authorized photo pass, both of which i have. electronic photos are traceable, even my camera on my phone is registered with the company. i've had a crash course in leading from the guys here. they use paddles and all sorts of tools (wood) they made themselves. never seen it spread on with a trowel. flux, lead stick, torch.

25. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

ok,im looking at the angle of cost to lead a new car after accident damage.Why would the insurance pay for this,when the next collision shop would just throw mud at it ,less than half the cost in materials and labor.

I understand these lead procedures and using them initially at a car plant having spent 20 years working in automotive prototype design shops

26. odins701

odins701

its expensive but you can grind this stuff! lead free

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gX5YjrsD_Pg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

27. odins701

odins701

Dad is an old school factory guy and he sais the only reason the used lead back in the day was cause they didn't have plastic filler. lol

28. oj

oj

How do you guys get the old junk metal clean enough to take the lead?

29. odins701

odins701

check this out:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KZCFcxf5IBw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

30. odins701

odins701