Register now to get rid of these ads!

Favorite Gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chester, Jun 20, 2012.

?
  1. 55 Chevy

100 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. 56 Chevy

17 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. 57 Chevy

14 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. 40 Willys

64 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. 41 Willys

102 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. Henry J

31 vote(s)
    7.2%
  7. Other

103 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Definitely one to be remembered and hopefully replicated some day.

2. smautobody

smautobody

cmon now the kevlar diaper didn't even let a drop of oil hit the track :D

3. smautobody

smautobody

thanks bro glad you enjoyed it

4. smautobody

smautobody

thanks brother!

5. Butch M

Butch M

Panneton Bro's 56 chevy is my favorite but I like all of them

6. Henrysnephew

Henrysnephew
    from SE Mich

I'm partial to the Henry J - go figure. Randy Millard (Henrysnephew)

[​IMG]

7. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Heres my own personal list:

1: Gray primer '55 with dark grey mags and a fiberglass flip nose
    (preferably a different color from the rest of the body)

2: The "flinstone flyer" Packard gasser.

3: an Anglia Thames Panel truck gasser.

8. Ha Ha Ha!!!

Drops no!

Rod caps.... whole nutter story! :D

B.T.W.: You should find another name for the car. "Blew" seems to be bad karma. :D

9. wheelguy

wheelguy

ALLMOST ANY WILLYS !!!!!

MY FAVORITE STYLE IS THE 40, MOSTLY BECAUSE MY FIRST OF 6 WILLYS ( 44 short years ago) WAS A 40 AND I PREFER THE 40 TWO PIECE GRILL.
    MY 2 CENTS WORTH (?)

10. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Sure, I would not mind looking at the old rules. But honesly I just thought I would toss the car out there to sit back with my popcorn and see what people had to say. I mean as far as a gasser by todays standards it seems fare enough to say it to could be considered a Gasser as well... I knew it was sceptical to say it. But hay someone had to say it, can't gorget about the car.

11. Larry T

Larry T

Several years (56/64/66) of Gas Class rules are listed in the link in post 22 above.

As far as the High & Mighty is concerned, it wasn't just thrown together and then figure out what class it fit in. If it was built as a Gasser, it would have a big G on the side and not A.
    Larry T

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  12. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

:eek: .....

:D

13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

While I voted for the wicked 55 Chevy, there are alot of other cool gassers. Any one remembers the old Wen Mac 57 Chevy gasser?

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Like said before... I like all gassers
    But this one testing my axle is very close to the top :)

Attached Files:

15. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Some from the other week at beaver spring

Attached Files:

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

i DO LIKE THEM ALL AS WELL. Here are a few Pics from Bowling Green...

Attached Files:

17. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

I think that the 40-41 Willys should be combined as the front ends,glass or steel were swapped both ways. That would give them a total of 76. I also think that there should have been a 33-36 Willys category

18. Its OK I can get your attention in an open thread if I have to. Probably best sometime those things that are world shaking @ 3:00 AM are not so brilliant in the light of day. :D:D

Back to favorite gassers.

I'll shoot the rules to your PM box. If you can't get them to expand big enough to read I'll fire them off in an email.

Like I said the thread is not really a Rules discussion which is why I stopped where I did.

I am sure if the car had been built and raced in the later '60s it would have run gass class. And for all intents and purposes it is a good example. That car certainly raised the bar and I'll bet with a tweak or two it would still compete today.

I personally am partial to the earlier rules, I think it is just a quirk. I appreciate the later cars as well.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  19. smautobody

smautobody

REALLY!! find another name? NEVER!the car aint on no joy ride down the track I think thats pretty much par for the course when your running blown alky thats dragracing man when your balls to the wall parts break

20. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Great thread. Thanks to everyone for the pictures.....reminds me of Hot Rod Magazine in the 60's.

21. Ha Ha!

Spoken like a true "die hard" sick drag racer! My kinda guy!

Ya' gotta love it! :D

22. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

I voted 41 willys. The SW&C 41 just captivated me as a kid so much that I knew I had to have one. I bought an ex B/G all steel 41 in 1971 but had to let it go in 1976 due to things like wife, 3 kids, food and clothes becoming more of a priority than my Willys. Sure do miss that old car. I am, however, building a 39 Olds coupe gasser since I couldn't find another Willys in my price range.

23. Ok I really got to know. Blew by You is a gasser or ???

I am not trying to be a dick here I am just confused, it runs blown on alcohol? or that is justa new racing expression that I don't know about? Like we used to say I blew his doors off but I never saw a car with the doors flying off at the track.

I know a stupid question I am just trying to keep up if there is a new expression that I am not aware of.

24. Larry T

Larry T

Benno,
    There are quite a few "Gasser Associations" around today that try to keep the spirit of gasser racing alive. I don't know of one that doesn't allow alcohol as fuel. And to keep it traditional, I think that a lot of the Gassers in the 60's/70's ran alcohol when they were match racing.
    Larry T

25. The Match Bashes were an entirely different game weren't they, just for arguements sake. That would make a real thread. Probably not on topic for this thread but it would make good discussion and be very educational for the masses.

I guess it is just hard having tunned for gas money and hot dawgs to accept an alchy burner as a gasser.

Anyway I learned something that I wasn't aware of. Thanks.

26. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, there was a Midwest "Gasser Association" back in the 60's that ran center steer and Nitro. Not exactly NHRA legal. Pretty sure we've talked about it a little.

And I think you've hit the nail on the head about the alcohol. I'm pretty sure the reason it is accepted is that it's easier to tune ('specially blown) than gas and that makes it easier on parts == cheaper to run.
    Larry T

27. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

This is TRUE!!!!

28. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

After watching you make passes at Thompson I can imagine what it it like behind the steering wheel!!!!! Especially when the engine "blew"...... glad to see you are back at it already!!!!

29. I guess that we accept gasser as a style of car and not a class of dragster. That would make the Dodge earlier discussed a gasser and not an altered. It is certainly gasser styled.

30. Larry T

Larry T

No, it was built to Altered (A) rules in the NHRA rulebook, not Gas Coupes/Sedans (G) rules. The Gas Coupes/Sedans class ended up being known as gassers, just as Dragsters were sometimes called diggers or rails.

And to really muddy up the waters, a car that was built for a class that was more restrictive could enter a class with more liberal rules. In other words, if you showed up to race and there were more or better cars in you designated class, you could move to a class with more liberal rules that didn't have as many (or any) cars running in it that day. To go to the extremes, I guess you could enter your Stocker in SuperStock, Modified Production, Gas, Altered if it had the safety equipment to meet the rules for the class. Virgal Cates ran his 33 Willys in Gas Coupes/Sedan then in Altered. But the High & Mighty never ran in the Gas class with its stricter rules (at the time).
    Larry T

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012