Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects KIWI MADE 1927 T Lakes modified - Journey to the end of the road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodbox, Mar 31, 2012.

1. fleet-master

fleet-master

they might have to be black and white bollards Shrappy,think Wade's goin with a neutral decor....:D:p

2. He could just dress a bunch of his pals in black n white ( As French Mimes ) and have them stand around the car pulling an imaginary rope back n forth :p

3. woodbox

woodbox

That would be awesome Shrapnel, I would be keen to see a shot of them. I am heading into town in the morning....with a list of jobs, for the car, and for the club's event. T shirt designs to finalise and roadside signage to sort.

Ha ha ha!:rolleyes:

4. woodbox

woodbox

Another frustrating day in town today. Frustrating because I would rather be at home in the shop working on the car! But in saying that I did manage to get nearly all the way through the list of jobs in town. Some of which consisted of; heat shrink, cable connectors, carpet for under the car when on display, a panel from the painter, manifold to the mechanic, bolt for front suspension, poster print prices, people barriers for show etc etc etc.

Once home I did get onto some work on the car. First up was to store the panel safely away. It was a belly pan and is now safely out of the way until It's needed.
    Then the cable penetration on the firewall got removed and a new bigger one installed.

That done I started on the front end. New bolt, that was the right length in place, then roll the axle under the chassis.

[​IMG]

You can see in this shot how the torsion bars attach to the wish bones. On the right side of the car (left in the picture) the spherical joint is fixed to the underside of the wishbone, whilst the left side has two spherical joints like a knuckle. The right side being fixed acts as a panhard link and the left side allows the two torsion bar ends to swing through opposing arcs without binding. the total vertical movement of the front axle is only about 3 inches, which should be ample. Any questions so far?

None!........ Good, then I will continue!
    As the car sits at present there is very little weight on the axle. With the engine in position the torsion bar ends/arms will sit horizontal when at rest. This will minimise the horizontal/sideways movement from the fixed side when rising and falling. I put the fixed side on the steering drag link side to minimise bumpsteer.

I would have put more pictures up, but photobucket crapped out!

I gotta get back out there and do some more. Cheers folks.

5. Thanks for the explanation sir as I sat here wondering why the two were mounted differently and as any good teacher worth their salt,you explained it straight up. Now only if I could get Mr Key to give you a pay rise. :D

6. woodbox

woodbox

I will gladly take the payrise at the moment (this deadline is costing a bomb!), but sadly I am not a teacher......but my parents were!:cool:

7. Neat stuff .

I'll get bollards out of bottom shed in weekend and get ya some pics , , , In Bloody Black n White !!! LMAO .

Heads up mate , listen to ya body , Drove mine into the ground to get my car done for the 92 Nats , , , Got the car done but my body shut down , could hardly walk , couldn't eat , drink or sleep !!! Listen to ya body :)

Shrap :cool:

8. woodbox

woodbox

Cheers for that Shrapnel, Black and white will be fine......apparently I am colorblind anyway!

I was shattered for the 92 Nats as well. I had just completed my 46 coupe and the first drive was to Masterton and home again!! I was stuffed! But the feeling you get from driving a car like that is irreplaceable....every time you drive it!

9. woodbox

woodbox

More wiring today! I have tried to concentrate on one area at a time and complete it then move on. Today I sorted the inhibitor switch on the shifter and centre console, then onto the tail lights and high stop light.

I got the call from the paint shop to pick up the body too! So went and grabbed it and deposited it on the floor of the workshop.
    I have the ignition, charge and dash feed circuits left to do, so will take another look after dinner.

[​IMG]

I also decided to loom up the rear wires as I had finished with them all. it all looks nice and tidy now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. woodbox

woodbox

11. woodbox

woodbox

Still playing around today with the rear end. Sorted out the fuel tank lid. I pulled it all apart and threw it all into the bead blaster then cleared it before reassembling it and installing it on the tank. the tank is held to the chassis with bolts and then the belts go over the top.

[​IMG]

A quick trip into town to pick up the engine didn't go so well! It wasn't ready, so Monday it will have to be!

[​IMG]

I am lovin the Model A tail lights and the Q/C rear!

[​IMG]

"Sweetheart.......Does this color make my ass look big?";)

12. maaan where did you get the tank, did you make it?. I'm trying to do mine similar but its becoming a mission

13. woodbox

woodbox

I rolled it up on my friends rolls. The ends are hammer formed over a buck, as are the baffles. The filler neck and cap are from an 1100 GSXR Suzuki tank. I used the top of the tank and trimmed it to fit in the hole.There is a vent built in to the bike tank top.

There are welded in blind inserts for the attachment bolts on the underside of the tank. The belts are from Halensteins menswear! They are only for looks. I worked out the volume to be approx 45 litres/nearly 12 gallon.

I tacked the whole tank together with the mig then took it to a friend to weld. He Tig welded it but used bronze filler rod to keep the heat to a minimum and avoid distortion. the long weld across the bottom would have walked al over the show if he had used steel rod.

14. davo461

davo461

Metal art at its best!

15. woodbox

woodbox

Cheers davo!

16. linkstar69

linkstar69

Is that a kiwi on the quick change?

17. mrdodge

mrdodge

Looks like one to me. Great attention to detail, chap. I am loving this build and now I'm getting jittery for a new project. Damm you !!!:D

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Me thinks something tricky is going on here... the color just isn't right to me still! Gary

19. I don't want to steal General TimberFanny's thunder here , but yes it is .
    Quick change rears made right here in Lil ol New Zealand . Available for Model A's,
    and early V8 rears ....

20. woodbox

woodbox

Well spotted, that man! Sure is! Manufactured in Richmond (Near Nelson). I went and visited the guy last summer while we were down that way.[email protected]

[​IMG]

Here is an example of a lovely pair........one of them could do with a bit more rubbing....me thinks.

Cheers MrDodge, I really enjoy the details too! Sorry for the itchy feet!

Maybe when I push it out in the sunlight the color might show up a bit better.:D

21. Roger53

Roger53

I've really injoyed reading a long on your build . Very well done . Just hoping to see the pic's of ya on the road with a big bug eatin grin on your face!

22. fleet-master

fleet-master

Lookin good Wade. Your doin better on wiring than I ever have...cos I actually am colour blind!! :D not entirely though,I'm looking forward to seeing the colour 'reveal' along with everyone.
    Your tank came out awesome! Love the straps!

btw have you checked out the thread I posted on the Walt Gibson Track T? its got a 215 Buick in it...

23. woodbox

woodbox

Thanks for your comments. I hope to be flossing wings and feet from the molars.......all summer long!!:D

Cheers Paul, It doesn't pay to do the wiring in low light conditions, thats for sure!
    i will have to check out the thread too.

24. woodbox

woodbox

I had a day at work today, so didn't get much of a chance to get much done. But the family is away for the night so I was straight out into the shop when I got home.
    I decided at work to drag out the brakes from under the bench and get them back together. Firstly I sat down and put some anti seize on all the bolts and moving contacting parts. Then onto the backing plates they all went. I can't undertsand why I was putting it off for so long. They went together real easy. I must have done something wrong.......surely!!!

[​IMG]

25. Here's a couple of pics of those bollards Wade. There was 8 but can only find 7. They're 675 high , 180 square at the base , 50 diameter tube with the top tube 32 diamete by 80 long. 4 of them have the top tube set at 45 degrees to the base (for the corners when setting around the car) . They're pretty lite, so shouldn't be to pricey to courier up.
    If ya keen to have them I'll knock up another of the straight ones.
    They do need a bit of a clean up , but I would'nt put any polish near them unless you want to polish all of them , , , they're in a "Raw" state/finish if you know what I mean.

Shrapnel :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  26. woodbox

woodbox

I went down to pick up my engine today....and he wasn't there!!!! maybe tomorrow!
    Working tonight.
    I managed a few little jobs, rear shocks, fastening on fuel cap and got some small fastenings for the tonneau cover track.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  27. woodbox

woodbox

Yehaa! I have finally have all the main bits back under the same roof again!

[​IMG]

We went down and loaded the engine onto the ute and dragged it home. Now I have more to play with!

[​IMG]

I have yet to make a mount for the coil and throtal linkage. So the list goes on!

28. Looking good , get that thing in the hole !

29. woodbox

woodbox

Dats da plan! A few bits to sort tomorrow, after a sleep......then it will be going in......hopefully!

15 days to go!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: