Register now to get rid of these ads!

upholstered inner fenders and smothed door jambs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gotit, Jun 21, 2012.

1. gotit

gotit

I get more grief about smothing my door jambs and wanting to upholster my inner fenders on my 54 chevy from my friends. They are both on the hamb and say everyone will agree that it is a waste of time.

The members are hippy killer and spiderweb.

If you think it makes a custom look better let me know and if you have pictures please post.

GotIt

2. Door jambs=yes.
    Inner fender upholstery?= no (just my .02)

3. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

It is definately traditional for an old show custom.

4. hippy killer

hippy killer

Maybe you could take some time out smoothing spot welds and shovel you driveway

5. gotit

gotit

I may have to shovel all the shit from the stories you and Steve give me over taking pride in my cars. Please keep this tread on topic

6. Get a room "fellas" :rolleyes:

7. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Those things were wroth points back in the day at indoor shows,just like raido airles and spot lights.
    I even had one chrome set of brake shoes and a backing plate=tp take one wheel off and that would look like all were[ but only the one was and that was only on for the weekend. It was the way it was done in the late 50's to mid 60's at lest.;):D:cool:

8. spiders web

spiders web

Yes folks this is a crazed madman! I know his dad and hes told me that he dropped gotit many times on his head as an infant and he feels bad about that. To give you all an idea of how bad it is he has crocheted a headliner and has sewn in zippers around the fenderskirts to be able to remove them. Should you see this monstrosity at a car show just say something nice and move on. You will recognize it as the inner fenders are plaid like Rodney Dangerfields shorts in Caddyshack. He'll make someone a good wife in these long cold winters.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  9. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Myself I think both are very cool, dont let them dictate how you build YOUR car. Jim

10. F&J

F&J

Very true, and my favorite build style to look at, are hotrods and customs done exactly like you would see at your local indoor Autorama in the mid 50s to very early 60s.

I vote Yes.:cool:

11. jakdupkustoms

jakdupkustoms

If I wanted to grow grass on my inner fenderwells I wouldn't care what anybody else thinks. Cool stuff is always love if or hate it. You cant make everybody happy. But if you like it go for it. Ive always liked upholstered fenderwells. My .02

12. metalix_421

metalix_421

I vote yes on the door jams.
    As far as the upholstery goes, is it going to be a driver? Everyday rain or shine?
    If not then hell ya if so I may not do it. Just my .02

13. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

yes on both but make the inner fender cover snap in and out for when you drive it. put them in for shows only.

14. metalix_421

metalix_421

Better said on the wheel wells^^^^

15. X2 two of my favorite things.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do it. Do both. Never look back.

17. stuart13

stuart13

Being the young pup of 32 years that I am, I have never heard/seen the inner fenders done that way but it sounds like it would be cool.

18. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Unnecessary upholstery is ALWAYS a good idea.

I'm doing my firewall.

20. For the young-uns, here is pic of a brand new Pontiac taken at our outdoor car show in 1960. Not only upholstered wheelwells but in place of the license plates, under the hood and in front of the radiator. There was also a rolled and pleated tonneau cover over the back seat!

Mick

Attached Files:

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Sure, lots of cars had rolled and pleated fender well upholstery, steering wheel covers, tonneau covers over the back seat, and even upholstery in the engine compartment. That and angel hair. We've lost a little of that showmanship these days, but at one time it was very accepted and common.

Don

22. Be okay as a show car, but a pain to keep clean as a regular runner, no?

23. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Seems like this is only good for a trailer queen... Be a waste of time if you actually drove the car. But I waste a lot of money on lottery tickets so what do I know... ;)

24. gotit

gotit

I am a younger guy at 27 years of age. I love rods and customs. I am building a 60's styled chevy and I am painting it black base coat with red flake over that. It looks black at night and red in the sun light. I have this obsession and saying that if its worth doing then it is worth taking pride in and doing it all the way!

I am building a driver but I also want this car to be very nice. I want it to stand tall. I do all my own upholstery, paint and body so the inner fenders and smoothing is a quick job.

I do build cars the way I want them and I can honestly say I get a ton of grief about how picky I am but iI enjoy making somethingcalls very tidy. Spidy and the hippy killer think I go overboard on everything and my response to them is that it is traditional. They disagreed and told me the HAMB would mock me also...lol.....guess they will see.

I am happy I can tell them that welding and smoothing spot welds, upholstered fender wells and polishing an engine block is
    something that makes a car stand tall!

25. cheveey57

cheveey57

wow way to throw your friends under the bus.
    but for what it's worth, I ask why bother if you're gonna drive it?

26. F&J

F&J

^Sometimes you gotta love this place :D :cool:

We want pics, Dreddy

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I've always got a chuckle out of the upholstered wheel wells. They make absolutely no sense at all, just pure show car fluff. But I suppose they went a long way in covering up the ugly stock inner wheel wells and suspension bits. Did they detail the frames back then on customs? Gary

28. IIRC, some of the fenderwell upholstery was held in by snaps, making it removable for various reasons. I like the look.

Bob

29. Scumdog

Scumdog

I did the firewall AND the inner fenders (engine-side) of my '55 F100, same colour as the interior and look cool-as!

And don't chip when ya drop a wrench, don't peel if ya drop a bit of brake-fluid on them and cover welded-up bolt-holes..

30. Scumdog

Scumdog

Dang-right, what ever happened to showmanship?

Are all HAMBers too scared of it???