Register now to get rid of these ads!

More Bad Chinese Metal-Model A Spring Clip Bars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-6Garagerat, Jun 20, 2012.

1. pumpman

pumpman

Please don't apologize, you have every right to let the community be aware of this issue. It is the seller's responsibility for quality control which may lead to more cost. To bad for them but if they have any integrity the price should be paid. As for quality parts being produced overseas that is a bunch of bullshit!
    Remember, it's the big box retailers training those guys.

I refuse to buy offshore stuff, which ain't easy but we need to make them aware that we are willing to pay for quality and not quantity.

2. You need the Chassis Engineering ones. They have the steel band.

3. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Thats to bad.
    I have alot of parts from Synders and Macs, not suspension pieces but they all had the Ford Logo on the package.
    Would be good to know what Ford thinks about what happened to you !!

4. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Do a quick check on local, regional and federal liabiliy law and slander statutes. "I didn't mean to" does not work for either one.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The listed companies are SELLERS of stuff who have little to do with manufacture. In many cases, there is only one source and you would get the same part no matter where you bought it. Incredible things have been made for the Model A...for a while you could buy BRAKE CLEVISES made of CAST IRON. AAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

From what I have seen, the Ford licensing is simply payment of a fee to put "Ford" on the box or to repro a part that has "Ford" on it...

Early Ford survival 101:
    If the part is capable of killing you, FIND AN ORIGINAL.

6. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Very True!

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Cmon man... really? Your screen name seems to fit your demeanor pretty well. Take it elsewhere... SHEESH!

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Chassis engineering

9. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Knowledge is a great thing and if your knowledge is correct why did you buy the stuff in the first place:confused: Lost me.

10. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Ok, I thought I was out. But now I got someone from the UK pretty much calling me stupid because I had a shit part fail and wanted to bring it to peoples attention? Fuck You

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

12. The Chinese build what they are asked to build - plain and simple.

Funny story, back in the Clinton years - one of the first things were the Banana brake calipers for HD motorcycles. In The originals, the alignment pins and attachment points would get all wobbled out, the bores would get scored from the piston retraction system and render them useless.

Some entrepreneur had a Chinese out fit copy the originals. They gave the manufacturer used one to copy exactly and they did, exactly with the wobbled out holes and scored bores. They built what they were asked to- plain and simple. Couple thousand of them.

They did a repeat performance of the shovelhead small front calipers found on the dual disk front ends. Problem with those was that if you bolted them on, the bolts could hit the rotor when you applied the front brake.

13. Now its gonna get all political, legaleeseish, and a fuckyou match.
    Oh boy.

14. pumpman

pumpman

Right with ya there, you go man. And again thanks for the heads-up!

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"The Chinese build what they are asked to build - plain and simple. "

Exactly. Whoever runs the repro world asked..."Can you make me a thousand things that look kinda like this REAL CHEAP??"

And if someone made a better repro...99% of the Model A "restorers" I know would choose...the cheaper one. Even if told up front the bar was iron and the u-bolts were threaded rebar...

Everytime you are tempted to buy a repro streetrod grade suspension piece, stick that money into a knapsack. In October, take your knapsack to Hershey and buy an old rusty forging. You will likely find money left over, too.

16. VonKool13

VonKool13

Yup! A good friend here on the HAMB bought some chinese made shackles from Speedway. He just began to tighten them with a rachet and the threaded stud sheared into two pieces, they weren't even snug yet.

17. VonKool13

VonKool13

Ford wouldn't give 2 shits about an 80 year old car being transformed into a "hotrod" or the dude building it. Ford only cares about new car sales, and making the grade on new federal safety laws.:(

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Read post #48

19. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Well since this thread ended up like a lot of others (To much bullshit to sift through) we will never know.

20. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Again, Read post #48

21. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

How 'bout that "Made In China" flag with 50(?) stars. I count 45!

[​IMG] DD

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, but thats nowhere NEAR as much fun as another anti-China rant. More productive, but nowhere near as much fun...

23. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Chill out dude I read post #48 then I read where you said you were done that why I said we will never know.

It would be nice if you came back and let us know what your Ford guy has to say.

24. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

well, i got sucked into the fight again, my fault. assuming you read some of the posts where i was slandering suppliers, doing it wrong, and pretty much stupid i hope you can see where i got pissed. i was trying to make people aware of a part that broke without being on a running driving car and i got shit for it.

as far as the ford rep, i thought that being an employee, and being the Suspect Material Coordinator who works with suppliers to identify questionable parts, that maybe he would take me a bit more seriously than the average joe. which, i think he did. i thought it would maybe be a step in the right direction instead of just bashing overseas parts. maybe nothing will come from it. we will see, and i will let everyone know.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Totally in agreement, and something DOES need to be done about the CRAP quality of the parts that some AMERICAN companies are contracting to have made at the lowest possible price, before some guy in a hot rod takes out a soccer mom and three kids in a mini-van, and the lead story on the evening news is "Innocent family killed by defective hot rod!!!"

26. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I for one appreciate you bringing this out and trying to carry through with Ford to see how they feel about it.

I know its hard sometimes to deal with the masses on here but we aren't all trying to pick fights with everyone, like some.

27. Koz

Koz

Falcon george in post #85 hit the nail on the head. Our biggest threat to the hobby right now is Gov't. abuse. We don't need to give them any more sticks to hit us with.

And just for the record, I appreciate the aftermarket suppliers and what they do for us. I think they need to be aware of problems when they arise so they can correct them. The ragging needs to be directed at the source so they have the opportunity to not only correct any problems but defend their products when justified. Let's face it, some of us can be a bit heavy handed on occasion. In this case I think a conversation with Mac's is in order. I don't know if anyone has spoken with them, but my bet is they would welcome the discussion.

28. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I agree and would like to appologize for my part in making this go sideways. We do need to be told when someone encounters poor reproduction parts so the hobby can flourish safely.

29. Faus

Faus

I am not aware if this was hashed here or not, but as a historian/teacher, I wanted to point out that Henry Ford would have done what the after market and even his company is doing... Going with cheap parts being made by even cheaper labor. Remember Henry had goons hired to Force his employees to work for very little pay and beat up union organizers and "trouble makers". He also looked for ways to make things cheap... For as high quality as possible without paying to much for it. Look at flathead motor blocks... Sand from molds were left in them and inspections were the basic visible so the assembly line would turn out cars quickly and maximize profits. Henry used forging because casting higher quality parts was more expensive than forging, but where he could be cheap he would; I.e. motor blocks, manifolds, etc.

30. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I have a great deal of concern along these lines about repro parts as i bought a partially built project for a good deal less than the sum total of the costt of all the stuff involved, and I have no doubt lots of the parts are repro.
    Hope the OP does contact the dealer also to let him know he has a problem with a supplier, as well as his dealings with the Ford licensing people. And I hope he doesn't get pissed and abandon this thread without filling us in on the details as this proceeds towards resolution (we hope).
    The dealer can't know his supplier is sending him junk if his customers just toss the defective stuff aside and don't give him feedback.
    Dave