Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Munn's Root Beer Cutlassfrom the movie Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. camgrinder

camgrinder
    from California

I went to the race at Fremont when they filmed Hot Rod. I saw 3 Willys on a car hauler the first day. Pretty sure only one had a blower.

A couple of pics I took that day,

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thanks Camgrinder! Please post more pics if you have them

3. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I always wanted that "Midnight Auto Supply" banner from the Fremont strip. LOL

4. camgrinder

camgrinder
    from California

I worked at the Midnite auto supply store in San Jose for one night. Some guy robbed the bowling alley next door and ran thru the store with swinging his gun around to make his getaway. When the other guy at the store says that kind of stuff happens all the time, I decided it wasn't for me.

5. camgrinder

camgrinder
    from California

I will look. I have maybe 36 photos I took that day, but none of the Willys, and maybe only those 2 of the Olds. By the time the Willys was running, I was out of film.

6. the stude is gray primer with some white paint around the grille or maybe the whole cab was white

no he said the aquarium line sitting in the "bar" after the guys did thier voice drag race to the guy driving the olds wagon

while in the satellite hold told "paintjob" (the munns olds) "you dont have enough car to beat me or maybe it was keep up with me

camgrinder id love to see your others pics of that day

7. Bill Taggart

Bill Taggart

the aquarium pump was in reffernce to the motor in my white 60 0lds sw that had a 466 bbc in it

8. Bill Taggart

Bill Taggart

camgrinder i remember that pass very well against Eds camaro that was the pass i put rootbeer all over the track lol when i put my foot in it at half track the 11.5 to one 427 didnt like that blower

9. camgrinder

camgrinder
    from California

I just picked up your (I think) old Chevy car hauler. Going to need a lengthy restoration :D

[​IMG]

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Bobby Taggert contacted me and offered the 69 Olds F85/"Paint Job" for sale.

It is a full project and resides in CA. Too much for me, especially being in WI.

I am in contact and will relay your interest if you wish.

11. camgrinder

camgrinder
    from California

Sent you a PM :D

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The orange '50 Olds Sedanette looks suspiciously like one from Sunnyvale, around 1963. Bad street racer, used to run around with no front bumper, Moon tank, and a tow bar bolted to brackets on the frame horns. And it was Fiesta Orange!

We hung out at R-J drive in, (Santa Clara) on El Camino. Arch rivals hung at the A&W Root Beer stand in Sunnyvale, 6 miles North, also on El Camino Real.
    This Olds was a hot runner, 402" & B&M Hydro, chewed up a local 409 with no sweat...
    (Trimble Road 1/4 mile, we ran nightly) Al Driscoll's black 413 '62 Dodge barely nosed it out.

I recall the first time I saw it: it came hissing in, (air bleed screws loose on the 2 AFB's) and the tow bar: On the drivers wing window was an Identification Sticker:
    A 4" round A&W ROOT BEER DECAL! Classic!
    Could this be the Munn's Root Beer Olds?

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the movie car was built by Al Kvarme. Most of his cars were built in the late sixties and into the 70's. My car was just finished when featured in Streetrod, July 1975.

it is possible, but I doubt the car from 63 was the movie car.

14. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

great thread, one of my favorite movies. the opening scene with him rattle blasting his car black with his greasy hands on the fender is espessially humerous to me as a painter lol. love that movie!

15. Because I can

Because I can

I owned the "Insanity" AA/FC for a couple years, it was in several scenes in the movie. I traded it offf when my Keith Black $$$$ had to go to medical bills, but here is a couple pics:

The '83 Challenger as it looked in the movie
    Strasser.jpg

when I owned it in 1984-86
    insanitychallenger.jpg

I crewed for these guys for several years, who got their money to play with AA/FC's from More American Graffiti and Hot Rod stunt work
    HogeBill1982.jpg

16. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

very cool history

17. so has paintjob been sold? is it going to be restored to its movie level ?

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Paint Job is still for sale by Bobby Taggert. He has decided to sell the car rather than restore it.

I sure hope somebody buys it and brings it back to its glory

19. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Love it. Both.

20. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

the Olds is one of my all time favorites

21. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

I wish I knew how to post pictures from my phone to the forums here. I have some pictures you & bill would like to see or enjoy seeing.

22. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

I'm pretty sure you would like some of the history of my car too. :D

23. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Dose anyone know if steve costelli still races his Hot Rod Willys? I know it was the car they mounted cameras to see inside the car, but I don't know were the other Willys went. There was 4 used for the film.

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

The Hot Rod Willys is still raced. It is now yellow and no longer has the nose in the air.

so quit teasing us and show/tell us about your car!

25. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

I was just reading about seven posts up about "BASS" buying a Willys coupe, and I ask if he had ever seen the movie "Hot Rod" If not I thought he would enjoy it.
    Then I get down here and I find a post about the movie. "Go figure"

26. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Well I know that Willys is yellow and no longer sits like a cutter through ice. But a few years ago I did hear that Steve did hit the wall with it racing it. Not sure if that was true of false information if the car was wrecked or even changed at all. It has been more than a few years from the last time I talked with steve, and I was only a kid about age14 back then when I talked to him so I doubt he remembers me even though I rode on the talegate of his truck to go with his crew to tow the Willys back to the pits after a race at Sears Point.

So forgive my asking....

Any way....

Okay so that car is still around.

I know Steve owns many of the cars that were use in the film. I think the yellow coupe that brian fired up next to the photo shoot with the car hop girls in the film, but I know Steve owns if he still has it the black with flames ford woody that you see as background in the film. Oh and the yellow radio K A R Z panel truck. "did the costers do that?".... That one.

But yeah....

I would love to have one of the Munns cars. Infact back when I had some money I asked my dad for Bill's old phone number and could not get through to even see if Bill still had one of the cars if not both of them. But the nuber I had about five years ago was of corse off the hook.

Any way, if you like to know my car's story. It starts before I was born.

My father as seen in pictures posted a page or two back raced with Willie And The Poor Boys. And they had the motor that you see used when the cop asked to pop the hood in the film and Brian said "came out of my old car". Well Willie And the Poor Boys got most of their money to go racing by helping with The Movie Hot Rod film. And then my dad started wrenching for Willie and his team who had a bunch of props from the film like the Fire Mask Dave Yahara wore when they filmed the race at the end of the film.

Now I mind you my father was wrenching for the Funnycar and part of his pay was he got given some of the props from the film. And yes I kick him in the ass now because my dad was in his early twenty's and needed fast cash and sold the mask and gloves at a swap meet. Then in 1985 I was born. Then At age 4 I saw the film and wanted the Willys right there and then. My dad told me he had props from the film and all of what I have told you thus far.

So years later after watching my many vhs copys of the film I never stoped dreaming about the Willys.

Short side track I lived in group homes for a few years and on a home visit birthday weekend my dad had found a steele cab glass front end 41 Willys pickup truck. Less bed but came with 2 extra frames plus the roller truck for 2 grand in the weeles and deals. My dad bought the truck and surprised me with the truck and 2 frames for my 13th Birthday. But my heart was set on that coupe gasser. And one of the extra frames I got with the truck was the X/AA Globe Pacers Gasser out of san diego. So I sold the truck and kept the gasser frame. Then age 14 with the birthday and christmas money I saved through the years from age 4 to age 14 and what I got from selling the truck my father helped me hunt down a guy named Dave who built the Pure Hell altered body & had a mold taken off of the Movie car but never finished it to pop out a fiberglass car. After talking with my father and I he agreed to build me the first body out of the mold off the movie car...

And lone behold I had the next best thing to my dream car. Even still has the door dings from when the mold was cast off the movie car. Awesome.... And to top it off I asked about the scoop and Dave said oh, yeah I built the scoop that was put on the movie car and when I paied for my body he tossed in the hood scoop for free.

My father and I put a 331 hemi in my car and it bolted right to the mounts that were welded to the frame because it was the ex Globe Pacers Gasser.

Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures from my phone yet. I have tried. But I hope you enjoyed my cars story. That is how my dream became a reality.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  27. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

good story, thanks for sharing.

it is impressive that you stayed committed.

28. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

I wish my dad still had the fire mask from the film though.:mad: LOL....:rolleyes:

But yeah I stayed committed right down to the black & blue shag indoor outdoor construction carpet you only get to catch a glimps of in the film in the final race of the film. How is that for committed. lol :D

29. The Chameleon

The Chameleon

Hay, was that a belva deer or a satellite that was flipped at the beginning of the film? I have been told both. But I lean that it was a satellite that was flipped.

And did anyone notice in the film that Cannonball almost fell out of the back of the studebaker when the tires were taken off the Munns car at the drive in?

What is the condition of the 2 Munns cars exactly? Do we have pictures somewhere of both cars current day? I would sure like to see them.

30. Cymro

Cymro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.