Register now to get rid of these ads!

More Bad Chinese Metal-Model A Spring Clip Bars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-6Garagerat, Jun 20, 2012.

1. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

These threads come up and everyone wants to know specifics and see photos. Well, here are the details:

I got these Model A Spring Clip Bars with the U Bolts from Mac's or Snyders about a year ago, which really isn't important because we all know they didn't make them.

These were in bags with the "Ford Officially Licensed Product" tag on them, but we all know they didn't make them either.

I bought them because I didn't have any. I bought one for the front also.

They are the pieces for a 7 leaf spring. I have a 7 leaf spring I included a pic of. I was going back to a stock main leaf rather than the reversed eye main leaf I had in there.

My Model A is in Mock Up, they have ZERO road miles on them.

These have never been torqued, never even had cotter pins in them, just snugged with a rachet and socket.

They have never been heated, beat with a hammer etc.

Yesterday I loosened the nuts, pulled the U Bolt and the Spring Clip Bar fell to the floor.

And broke. I'm glad it happened in the shop.

I'll let the pics tell the rest of the story:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  2. Were the originals forged ?

These were obviously cast, from the worst crap they had.

3. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

ching lang wok lim song? (translation) you should have ask us to forge it.

4. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

I hope you are using these to hold the spring into the rear frame saddle and not to hold the actual spring bundle together. The ones designed to hold the springs together are way different than that. The are a flat steel u-bolt type with a single bolt and nut going thru the clamp under the spring.
    The ones you are showing pics of are what holds the spring in place not to clamp and hold. The spring pack together.

5. More cheap imported crap, I bet Ford wouldn't be happy to have shit like this with the officially liscenced sticker stuck on the bag, cast iron aint a substitute for a good quality forging any day!!

6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

As detailed as I tried to be, yes they are holding the spring into the friggin crossmember. The spring is apart in the pic. In the pic of my spring, i compressed it with my hands and my buddy stuck the bolt through. but yes, I have the pieces you are talking about.

7. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

Unforgivable. There's nothing worse than a product that comes out of the package and needs to go straight to the trash can.

8. F&J

F&J

Tons of originals are still around with 5 million once made.

and as one wise old hamber said a few years ago "Wong Chung forgot to throw a few bicycles into the mix."

Stop buying this stuff before someone gets real hurt. I'd walk before I bought repro parts. It's all junk, and as you have shown, possibly deadly.

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Had I known they were cast I would never have bought them. I have some real Ford pieces headed my way.

10. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Dude. Chill....I was just asking!

11. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

you seem suprised. Im not.

Its worth the day or two hunting and asking friends (and maybe making friends?) to find an original part.
    Every original forged part on early fords is always better made than ANY reproduction. There is a relatively switched on type person in every company who sells these parts (or at least liases with the actual maker,chinese, or indian or wherever)who signs off on this shit, and knows exactly what they are doing, and knows that a casting should not replace an originally forged part...shame on them, they are the cunts that need finding and being made accountable for the repro parts industries pathetic standards.

wow that was a bit full on..sorry, touches a nerve.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

13. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I take 3 steroids a day (seriously) this is about as chill as I get. Those flimsy little clamps you mentioned only keep the leafs aligned, not clamped together. The bolt does that job. These parts are just junk.

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Hey Scotty, I fell for those things once too... same deal, broke before I even got a good yank on them.

15. I would get all excited when parts arrived in a Macs box, or other American company, thinking it must be American made, cause its in the box, only to find a made in..... sticker on the part. Urgh!
    I will happily pay more for quality.

16. firingorder1

firingorder1

So long as they look like the real deal that's all that counts. Do you think the Chinese give a rats about quality. Do you think the companies that sell them here give a rats about quality. Buy them as cheap as you can beat the Chinese supplier down to and sell them for as much as the market will bear. Henry might have cared about quality of his product but I don't think that applies today.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's just scary. Probably cast by some guy in his back yard with old brake drums that were melted down over a charcoal fire. With less attention to detail than one of my buddies puts into casting his own fishing weights.

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Hey Andy, how ya been? Crazy isn't it? I have a line on some real ford pieces, need a front one thhough. The Ford and Mercury Restorers club Swap is in 2 weeks here, I will find one there. How's the 34?

19. Koz

Koz

Don't feel alone! This is off the front of my roadster. Damn Chinese cast iron!!!! The Henrys' are forged. I've been snagging origionals at the swaps for future use. This was from Macs' as well. Most of their stuff is pretty decent. I was disappointed to see they are no longer carrying the US made Ford wheel cylinders. I reluctantly ordered two. They were pretty shitty and I just tossed them.

[​IMG]

This crap gotta stop before somebody gets hurt.

20. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I have that same one, It's goin in the scrap bin.

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Been good man, yup, crazy, but not entirely unexpected... cripes those things only cost like 8 bucks, how good could they be!?:D The funny thing is, I bought them because they were clean and already painted, when they broke I dug through the pile and pulled out a pair of original forged ones... shoulda just cleaned them up and used them to begin with. Oh well, lesson learned!

The 34 is runnin' like a raped ape, I hope it continues to do so until I make it home from speedweek!

22. This is from Ford's licensing program statement.

" Quality Assurance
    Restoration Parts Licensees must successfully complete a quality assurance survey, and their products must meet Ford quality standards as well as all federal and state safety regulations. Also, to assist in the monitoring of on-going production quality, the "master" restoration part samples are returned to the licensee after approval and used as quality benchmarks.

For more information contact Dennis Mondrach - Ford Restoration Parts Licensing Manager
    at 800-244-2242."

With the questionable quality of many licensed repop parts I see, it makes me wonder how close Ford's people look at anything, other than the check for the license fee.

23. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I work for Ford in Dearborn, New Model Programs Development Center, in the old Edsel Assembly Plant. I'm going to give him a call.

24. F&J

F&J

I was not aiming my statement about "stop buying this stuff" at you. I wrote that because others will see it, and maybe they'd choose old parts. Yes, I know you would not have bougth them if you knew they were cast.

25. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

[​IMG]

This is bad. Slap in the face!
    Only recourse we have with them, is to not buy their crap!

26. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Cool, Hopefully they will do something about their name being used on sub-standard parts.

27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

No, I know man. I didn't take it that way. I was just sayin. I hope you're right and people will see this and quit buying the stuff. No offense taken.

28. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

they have little pride.

29. F&J

F&J

Andy, you should know better, you are supposed to use chinese grade #1 nuts with those, so that they will start to strip out, before cracking the cast iron.

When you feel that the nuts are about half way stripped, then you are good to go....equal torque..

Geez, kids:rolleyes:

30. tiquer

tiquer

This stuff is all crap and dangerous as hell, that is true. But do you know how much of the real henry good stuff goes to the scrap because nobody wants the stuff? I had a 40 year collection of Model A parts and some B stuff and if it was not for one guy buying it all it would have been hauled to the dump.