Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-51 mercury experts please help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merctruck, Jun 20, 2012.

1. I have a set of 50 Monterey interior window moldings that are stainless steel that I bought from a old man years ago and have had them hanging on my shop wall since. I have never seen another set for sale and was wondering what kind of price to put on them. I have a guy wanting to buy them that will not make a offer to me. That usually tells me they can be worth quite a bit. I have only lightly cleaned the years of crude off them but they are stainless and not chrome. I have some pics I will post later when I get to my computer. Couldn't figure it out from my phone. If they are not worth much I will just hang them back up and use them when i get another merc someday. Thanks for any help.

2. I'd give ya 200

3. Sorry. Here are the pics.

Attached Files:

4. Thanks for the offer but got offered a lot more than that before, Afraid they would have to stay on the wall for any where near that.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a 51 Merc for 32 years and never knew that stainless window trim existed. I've looked in a lot of Mercs over the years too.

6. Only on the montereys and they are pretty rare. Lots of people do nor realize this.

7. hvychvy

hvychvy

I think there is a set for sale in the classifieds. Might give you an idea on price.

8. Saw those. He said they are chrome not ss and cut so hard to judge from that.

9. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

ive never heard of them being stainless, the montereys are brass and then chrome plated..

10. mikes51

mikes51

I've also owned brass and steel ones. Did you put a magnet to them?

11. OP, you should measure the height on 'em, they look chopped in the pictures.

12. mikes51

mikes51

I thought the same thing but it is the low angle that the camera is pointed at them in the first pic. The pivots don't look moved on the swingouts which would happen if the rear quarters are chopped. They look pretty cherry though.

13. They are not chopped. Didn't even think about the magnet test. Took the old mans word on this figured he knew better. But I though if they were chromed they would have rusted by now.

14. I never thought that they are SS, I have a 50 Monterey and they are Painted
    and I have owned the Car since it was 1 year old
    that dosent make sence to me
    why would they be Stainless Steel.!
    just my 3.5 cents

15. FEDER

FEDER

There not s/s there chrome plated. Look at the back side. S/S does not discolor like that.
    They dont spend any time on the back side and it shows. If they were mine Ide say 800.00 bux Fed

16. Thats close to the range I was thinking. Had a guy offer 1,500 at the James Dean rebel run a few years ago but I was not ready to let go of them yet. I could take them back up there this year but not sure I am going to have the time. Mercury stuff up there always brings good prices. I had never put a magnet on them I just took the old mans word for it. Not many Montereys around to find out info on them I discovered. Must be good chrome because these things should have been rusty where he had them stored and that is why I never questioned it. Now that the discolor is pointed out I see what you are saying.

17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Wow! $1500 dollars. I was way off thinking about $400.

18. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Just as I stated in my PM to you they are Chrome plated brass and came in Montereys. By the way just one of mine is cut, and is the rear window it is a clean cut and easily repaired. You saw my price and I still own them. A set of fronts only sold recently here for $300. and not as nice as mine. I guess it is what the buyer is willing to pay except for any less and I will keep them for my next Merc. Larry

19. Yeah I was misinformed. Learn something every day. That is why I am asking before I just go and pretend I know what I am talking about on them. Some stuff I know really well but these I just had what I was told. I have had several people say that the monterey are stainless but they must be as clueless as me on the info about them.

20. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

It takes a real man to admit that, "Welcome to the Club" Larry

21. I had a friend who had an original unrestored 50 Monterey with the chrome garnish moldings. I've never seen a 51 Monterey with the chrome garnish moldings. I believe the chrome moldings were only used on 50 Montereys. 51's didn't have the sought after accessory wheel standard like in 50 either. My 50 Monterey dealer brochure actually mentions and shows the chrome moldings.
    Matt

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  22. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

51 monterey garnies were painted as far as i know with a big fat chrome strip on the lower section on the front and rears..

23. I was offered 1,500 but you have to remember this was at the James Dean rebel run where everything Merc brings top dollar. I missed my window of opportunity on that one and would take less than that for them.

24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I guess the best thing to do is either keep them for your next build or put them in the classified.

25. That is the plan I was just hoping to get a idea of the value on them.

26. I brought the chromed garnish moldings for the doors about a few year ago for 100 USD, in next to perfect condition. They are the same ones as painted, only difference is the chrome. No big value in these. A complete set in MINT CONDITION would be worth the same money as a pair of nice painted ones and the cost for chrome. If the condition of the chrome is less than perfect, their value will fall drastic as it would take more money to restore them... 1500 was way over the top.

27. When you don't know what it's worth, that's what eBay is for.