Register now to get rid of these ads!

$40 Paint job

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gromit, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Gromit

Gromit

That looks as good as $60!

Been wanting to paint the Surf wagon for as long as I've had it. But money is short, and now that it's a daily Driver I needed to stop the rust and make it borderline respectable.
    Here's how i got it

[​IMG]

Here it is today (with rain and dust on it.. sorry
    [​IMG]

It will get real paint when i have the dosh, but for now:

1/2 gallon of black Tremclad/rustoleum Semi Gloss. 3 rattle cans of white, and the blue metalic Rustoleun left over from painting my guitar :)

I'm happy for now. A sizable improvement untill I can get the funds for a custom job.

Blue inside the side trim matches the wheels.. thinking of using the same blue metalic on the roof.

2. Gromit

Gromit

yeah i know.. Paint not oaint... crap.

3. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

When can we expect to see more bars an' flames?!? Lol, looks awesome. And you sure as hell can't beat the price, right?

4. Gromit

Gromit

My neighbour asked about flames too :) I think I'll skip the flames for now. SHiney Blue with perhaps a silver flake roof is the current plan. The rest of the trim will go on later today If time permits. Right now a working gas gauge is my priority.. I've run out twice in the last 7 days.

5. looks fine to me. what kind of spray gun did you use?

6. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

What year is it? Send me a pic of the gauge... I think I might have one out in the workshop. It's yours for the cost of shipping if I do.

(Admittedly, I am a bit of a "cluster junkie", and tend to hoard just about every one I come across at a decent price. Most of them get refinished to "like new" and sold, some are just gotten for parts. I think I have one for your car that was a 'for parts' cluster...)

7. Gromit

Gromit

It's a 15 foot car :) I'm a crappy painter. It's an old OOOOLD Binks I got from a customer. The pressure was way too high and to be honest, I could have done better. However at 7pm on a Friday with nothing better to do... I'd like to learn the right way some day. I'm just a grease monkey that likes to experiment.

8. Gromit

Gromit

Thanks man :) I suspect it's an electrical issue as the other gauges don't work either, but I'll keep that in mind.. It's a (SSHHHHH! '65)

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Lemme know! I'm positive I've got a '65 Fairlane cluster up on the shelf. You meant to say 64 1/2... RIGHT? Lol

10. Irishman

Irishman

"Dosh"??

I haven't heard that word in a while. Well, not since I moved over here!

11. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Lol, I thought that word died out with "just a skosh..."! Crazy Canucks... ;)

12. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

It looks fine for what you did and it will suffice right?? Only problem down the line is when you want to paint it correctly, all that old paint must come off.

13. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

not bad at all for the price, i would keep the roof white...but thats just me

14. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

What about that tremclad water based paint?

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Go back to the main page, where it shows the title of your thread. Put your cursor just below the tile of the thread. When the cursor becomes an arrow, do a quick left double click. A box will pop up enabling you to change the title. This only works on threads you start.

I discovered this one day, when I was playing around. Try it, it worked for me.

16. Gromit

Gromit

YOU SO ROCK!!!! wheeee!

I assumed I could sand it down and Use a K2 primer on it. Oh well.. It's not that thick a paint job, and maybe the wife will ride in it now that it doesn't look so much like an abandonned High school shop project

17. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Probably the best 40 dollar expense I've seen on the HAMB in a while. And just so you know, I'm one of the guys who does it for a living and try's to justify the expense of "real paint jobs".

From what I see - you did good!

18. Go to the first post,
    Hit edit.
    Hit go advanced.
    Edit at will tile included.

See I fixed it for my post

19. Gromit

Gromit

Thanks Low... You can't see the runs from 10-15 feet lol! There is an awesome painter near me. It will be worth the money when the time comes for proper paint. even a quick spray takes a fair bit of work, and my hats off to you guys that do it the right way

20. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I always wondered what a 65 2 dr wagon would look like....

21. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I love this thread. Nothing wrong with getting by however you need to.

I did a quickie brush and roller "paint job" on this one to get it sold. A gallon of flat Ocean Blue exterior house latex and a quart of Vanilla for the roof. 2 cans of white semi gloss Rustoleum spray cans for the bumper and grille. All together, about $40 as well.

I didn't bother with masking, just trimmed it with a 2" slant cut brush and rolled it with a 3/8 roller. Two coats!

Yeah, I know exterior latex is not the best paint for a vehicle, but you know what, it rolled on beautifully and the truck looked a million times better than it did before. I didn't even prep it other than wiping it down. At some point the new owner will strip and re-do all the panels, but in the meantime it looks pretty decent sitting in his driveway (and it was WAY ugly before!)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  22. Gromit

Gromit

That's scary close to the Blue my 59, and 60 GM trucks were.. Nice call. I think Alkyd is a better house paint though, You can clear it. I did an old Land Rover in i years ago.

23. fancy paint jobs are highly overrated !!....the old girl looks killer !!....maybe a few flames, some pinstriping, and......

24. All of my old trucks and stock cars got Rustoleum roller jobs. A stock car in 2 tone was 2 quarts at $6.95 per at the time. I'd buy those disposable mini-rollers that had the built in roller pan into the packaging.

The race cars looked great from the stands, especially if I wiped it down with ATF before the feature.

Bob

25. ....Hey !!!.....Those are my secrets too!!!....Long live Rust-O-Leum paint jobs !!!

26. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

That was the idea. I wanted it to look like either the unique stock blue or green with white. Decided the blue had a little more "pop" to it and deliberately went a few shades brighter than factory original. Still has that feel though.

When it was done it made me smile more than any expensive paint job I ever did!

27. jazz1

jazz1

The car looks great,,nice paint job. Be a lot of years before you need to repaint. I have thinned gloss tremclad with white gas(coleman fuel) for thinning as well the gas flattens the paint significantly.
    "ALLCOLOUR" tm paint is another low buck enamel similar to tremclad however it dries much faster.

28. derbydad276

derbydad276

did mine the same way 3 quarts of rustoluem satin black

thinned with acetone about 15% sprayed it through a cheap harbor freight siphon gun

its thin but uniform
    need to throw a couple more coats on it but Ive been having too much fun driving it and getting compiments on how it looks

Attached Files:

29. WhiteZombie

WhiteZombie
    from Denton TX

Cool. Better than 8K!!

30. SteveClary

SteveClary

I bet you laughed all the way to the bank. I know I did. I used a figh density roller and gloss white Rustoleum on my truck three weeks ago and it still needs the sanding and such, but sooo many people have complimented the truck that I'm gett'n lazy.