Register now to get rid of these ads!

So my Dad's got this doodlebug...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Jun 19, 2012.

1. canadianal

canadianal
    from canada

somebody needed a tractor, back in the days my grandfather and uncle bought old military jeeps cheap and used them to do light farm field work, had a tractor but the jeeps would work fine as light duty tractors. good hp for the price.

2. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

Im originally from Lyons Falls, you?

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

They were built as farm tractors..........tractors didn't need a license.............kids could drive tractors..........you fill in the blanks.

4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Westernville born and raised, live in Rome now. My grandfather worked at the paper mill in Lyons Falls till the day he died. Literally, he fell into a pulper. I could think of dozens of better ways to go. :(

5. Blackmaria60

Blackmaria60

Is that up around Franklin? My wife's from there and we stopped and talked to Mel who lives along Rt. 357 and he had a few of these things. Never heard of them till I talked to Mel! I stopped bc he had an "original" '49 Ford that turned out to be a bonafide Moonshine car. Bad ASS! Not to mention his copius amounts of Model A's and other diamonds in the rough....

6. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

You a fiddler?

7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

haha, no. All I can play is my meat whistle

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  8. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Do a search on Doodlebugs and there is a thread on the Doodlebug club in Franklin,N.Y.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Please, post a photo of the one you had with the '29 Briggs Fordor cowl & hood and 20'AA rear wheels. That was a Cadallac of Doodlebugs. Bob:)

10. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Mike, Do you know the guy that owns this? He lives on Rt.8 just below New Berlin IIRC
    [​IMG]

11. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Finally. A HAMB-friendly project for us poor folk.

12. noboD

noboD

You guys are making my head spin. I've wanted one of these since I was a kid.

13. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Ha, thats cool and I like the passenger side door!

14. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

You could buy this tractor "Kit" from the Sears Catalog! On some kits you had to turn the rear end over small gears bolted in place of the rear wheels and they drove the bigger gear inside the tractor kit rear wheels. Many of these tractors only had a small draw bar because they used horse/oxen drawn equipment or just towed wagons to and from fields.

15. Goatdave

Goatdave

Well I never heard of such a thing. I learned something new today. That's cool as crap and I really don't know why. Great find!

16. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Used to be quite a few of them around here. They used them in the woods for skidding pulpwood. I've had a couple. One just about like that one and one made out of a Chevy. They used to be called "depression tractors" as farmers couldn't afford regular tractors. Good find. Pretty cool!
    Tom

17. docmike

docmike

And everybody thought these were a now invention. Go figure.

[​IMG]

Doc

18. dmw56

dmw56

Very cool.
    A buddy of mine had one in all the stuff we bought in West Texas a few years back. It had a flipped front axle for more ground clearance. The rear axle was welded to the frame.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  19. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

There was also a tractor company that used a combination of new Model a parts and some special made parts in their tractors one style used a complete model A pick up cab with the lower door bottoms notched to clear the big rear tires it had a special front axle pivot something like the one posted here.I'm told it used rear doors from an A fordor sedan in the cab but don't know that for a fact,You could easily think that this was a cut down model A home built but was a commercial tractor not many were made I have seen only 1 in real life a restorer friends of mine sold it for big bucks as it was complete and he had brochures and stuff about the company that he got with it when he bought it .

20. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

i'd get her running, and drive that everywhere.

WHOODANG!

21. We had something like that for Dear Camp in S.E Texas it was only brought out to the paved F.M. Road. Left their and used by the next person going to camp. It was public road for a long way not drivable. It was better at the farm.... The chains did it all.

22. mrdodge

mrdodge

That is real funny shit !!!
    Nearly spilt a cup of coffee all over the laptop:D

23. noboD

noboD

Worthington built one similar, not sure if they used Ford engines. I knew of one with a Studebaker engine. The owner told me they were used mostly on golf courses to pull gang mowers.

24. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

Lots of life and limb lost in that mill. Sorry to hear it. One of my grandfathers worked there as well. The other hauled logs.

25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love these gizmos. There are more threads on them, just search.

The rake on this one is perfect. Ha ha. The non-rubber rake could catch on. Gary

[​IMG]

26. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I'm surprised so many on here had never seen or heard of traditional doodlebug. They were quite common in my area.

27. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

stick a flathead v8 in itt

28. Those little suckers used to be a common sight in Texas. I still know where there's a handful of them.

They were used for light duty work on farms.

29. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

That's awesome! The funny part is that it's more traditional than a lot of the period un-correct rods and kustoms that are being built these days.

30. cederholm

cederholm

:eek::eek::eek:I'm not sure what it is, but I think I like it!:D