Register now to get rid of these ads!

So my Dad's got this doodlebug...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hillbilly4008, Jun 19, 2012.

1. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Last summer a guy told my father that he could have this old doodlebug that was sitting at his camp. Time went by, and my father never took him up on his offer. Fast forward to this past Saturday(day before Father's day), I told him that I'd give him the '31 A banger motor I have as a father's day present if he went and picked up the doodlebug.

Today we went and brought it home. Honestly it is in much better shape than I expected. I'll have it running for him by the weekend (I hope). The rest is up to him.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

that's some hillbilly shit right there i must say.

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The bus seat is a classic. Time to get it prepped for the Doodlebug class at Pebble Beach.

4. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

oh god i hear banjos lol

5. photofink

photofink

You need another hand truck handle for the other side... then it'll be safe.

6. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Oooooooooooooo check out the 20 inch 1928 AA big wires! That is a nice looking bug! Bob.............Just remembered at some point in production they came in left and right hand studs/lugs.

8. reece

reece
    from NC

I like the swivel mounted on top of the front spring pack. Any chance you could post some pics of that area. I have a friend who is putting a doodlebug together presently.

Thanks, Reece

9. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Dude, you have no idea. While we were driving home and I could just tell that the gears are turning in my dad's head. So I had to ask him what he's thinking.

"Do you think I can license this for street use?:D"

And speaking of banjos, you guys should've seen where the camp was. It went from two lane blacktop, to back country roads, then to a gravel road, and finally to this dirt path that led us about a half mile back into the woods. Fuckin' hot as hell, I was sweatin my ass off as I was trying to knock down all the weeds around the thing. Then the bees and deer flies came out...

10. reece

reece
    from NC

"Do you think I can license this for street use?:D"

That is a classic line.

11. ClintsToys

ClintsToys

Now that is a project, nice.

12. It does have big & littles on it = traditional. :rolleyes:

13. Bottom line... the old mans dreaming and skeeming, priceless! Good job.

Now strike up the banjo and hide the ointment

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Thanks Bob, I'll let ya know after we snap a couple.

15. bigbadcad

bigbadcad
    from ga

could this be the first ratrod barn/woods find? that makes it a traditional correct? HAHA!!

16. BHT8BALL

BHT8BALL

How about a picture of how the rear end connects to the trans, I'll show you mine if you show me yours! Mine currently has two A trans inline hooked to a passenger rearend but I want to change to a truck rear end similar to yours. Thx, Pat

17. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I'll get some more pics up tomorrow. So far I've got a request for the front spring mount/pivot and trans/axle. It has a truck trans in it, with the reverse lockout. Currently stuck in neutral, as is the rear driverside drum.

PS, I'll be looking for some used 19" tires for him. These two are trashed. I put air in them before taking it off the trailer, the tube in one popped and scared the hell out of me.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Take a photo of the rear drum, there are early/late narrow/wide versions. I think the lugs may have an L or R if they have a flat not acorn shape. Bob. :)

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

now that is one Cool something or another. can't wait for the pic of it flying down the road with a Cop trying to catch it - Ha!

20. Jagman

Jagman

When did they have chrome radiator shells?

21. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

The BLUE BIRD seat , I think they still do buses . KOOL BEANS
    B.B.

22. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

My grandpa had one like that. If you were too poor to afford a tractor you made one of those. Farmers are creative bastards.

23. hemifarris

hemifarris

The one shown is a 1930. '30-'31s were stainless

24. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

I can't figure out what they used this for. Being from Central New York I can't believe there is no snow plow attachment( AND THIS ONE CAME OFF THE TUGG HILL PLATEAU). The rear end only has a small hitch plate on it with a 5/8" hole, but even that is about 3 feet from the ground?!?!?!?! Maybe it was just a field car:confused:

Regardless of what it was for, when he gets it driving you can bet your ass I'm gonna take it out on the jeep trails:D

25. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

Neat! where was it? Tug Hill, brantingham, Old Forge? There are a bunch of these setting in the woods around Brantigham. For those wondering what in the hell was the purpose of these...... they were built for some as cheap tractors. Hunters soon found out that they would go through very deep snow and mud (pre-4x4) and could be built cheap to reach remote areas before NYS wilderness became forever wild and was closed down to all motorized vehicles. They seem to be a north east thing.

26. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Brown, The physical mailing address is Constableville. But in geographical terms I would call it Fish Creek towards Osceola. For those of you that don't know Osceola is home of the Fiddler's Hall of Fame
    http://nysotfa.homestead.com/hofpage.html

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  27. hey thats gonna be a great machine:D and it even has a heater, you are ready for cool weather:rolleyes:

28. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

Those things were real common in southern west virginia, well at least according to my grandpa. He actually still had his in a shed until the mid '80s, i used to play on it. His was made from a '30 tudor and the rear axle was out of a dual rear wheel dump truck with just the inside wheels on it. He only used it to farm for one year because my grandma told him if she was gonna help him farm he had to buy a real tractor and a real mowing machine so she didnt have to sit on the horse drawn mower while he pulled it with the A tractor. Its a cool find, glad you bought it before some rodent rodder bought it and bolted an iron cross to the hood and called it a hot rod.

29. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

Deer hunters in Vermont have 'em to pull home the venison!

Guys from other states pull their meat at home....

30. mlagusis

mlagusis

scarry...but cool at the same time.