Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP 51' Chevy Paint Ideas, I'm Drawing a Blank!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29-a-freak, Jun 19, 2012.

1. 29-a-freak

29-a-freak

I've been working on this Chevy now for awhile, and i'm to the point where i'm ready to paint it, but honestly i'm drawing a blank, i had painted it this green color to keep it from rusting while i got ever together...and now i'm ready to finally paint, anybody got any good ideas, cause i'm drawing a blank i had 6 or 7 ideas but none of them are great...So i'm hoping some of y'all will have some good ideas??

Attached Files:

2. when it will come out near stock condition i think a dark unitary color works the best on these cute trucks, nothing too fancy, maybe a decent but uniqe striping.. if i had to decide, my first thought was a dark blue, some light blue striping, with the right set of steel wheels ( a little bit wider) and the right suspension (because of the stance) it sure will look sharp. just my opinion. looks solid, nice truck!

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

I dig the color it is!!

4. 61art

61art

Dark green body lite green fender.

5. There was a sky blue one when I was in high school that I really liked. These have never been my favorite Chevy truck but I cannot get that blue one out of my mind even after 40 years. Sky blue and striped by Tony the Greek.

Just a thought.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I had the same problem deciding on the color for my 51 AD. At first I painted it black but I wasn't happy with it so I bought a Aqua color and did a test run. It wasn't what I thought it would look like. Then I tried Copper and I wasn't happy with that so I said "forget this". I can't be buying paint I won't use so for over two years I mulled over different color combinations, trying to find a color that would give my truck that "period look".
    I surfed the net, checking out pictures of other ADs (there's a thread on here that has alot of pictures of 48 to 54 Chevrolet/GMC trucks). I would study the AD trucks at car shows or if I saw one around town, I would check it out.
    I also would check out magazines and I had a couple of paint charts and I would analyze every truck and what I liked about the color and what I didn't like and after a long time of picking colors to the bone, I finally found a color (sorry won't say what color) that I like and that will give my truck that period look I am after. In other words, the pro side was full and the con side empty.
    I recommend you start with what style you want for your truck, original, hot rod, custom, lowrider, or ???????????? and when you come across a color you might like, consider why you like it, is there anything you don't like about it, and will it work with the look you are after. Continue this until you find the color you are happy with.

7. Ha. Tommy D'Oh.

Rootbeer is a real nice color on lots of '50s vehicles.

I'll tell you a much overlooked period color is Cambels Soup Orange or Salmon (that would be pink to the masses).

8. I like your thinking! I think darker colors look good on these trucks.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the darker colors on them myself. I'm not big on two tone paint jobs unless the fenders are darker and just a couple of shades different than the body though.

One, the color has to be one you really like if you plan to keep the truck for a while.
    two, I'm not a fan of painting my rigs the same as a similar rod or custom with a fresh paint job in the home area. That may not be a big deal in a highly populated area but when you live in a town of 6000 people you get the "hey you painted it the same color as ____'s hot rod.
    As far as green This truck has been on the road for several years and has what was a 10,000 paint job on it (I know the painter).
    [​IMG]
    The factory dark blue always looks good too
    [​IMG]

This two tone job looks pretty good on an almost stick bodied truck
    [​IMG]
    And the factory dark green that about 50% of these trucks came in new (I have three cabs that started out that color) always looks good
    [​IMG]

For a light blue take a look at the denim blue on the new VW bug or what ever they call that latest generation bug/beetle. That would be a timeless color that will look good years from now.

The New Toyota FJ cruisers ugly as they are have some great colors that don't have that "latest hot lick color" look to them and might be worth looking at.

10. that green looks perfect to me! Try and stay away from colors with a lot of pearl or metal flake. I think the more solid colors look better. Again, just my preference.