Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Losthope's 1966 c10 low buck build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LostHope, Sep 24, 2011.

1. LostHope

LostHope

Well not much on the truck because i started working on my 54 ford again, but I did make it up to "glendales" house for the weekend and we sandcasted some plaques we made a couple of them, so now i got one for the truck im still not at home so ill take a picture of it on the truck when i get home but heres some sandcasting pictures enjoy "glendale" was taking the picture's:

Getting aluminum melted:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

making the mold:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mold ready:
    [​IMG]

poured:
    [​IMG]

open mold:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

finished product besides cleaning it up and painting:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  2. HEAVY100

HEAVY100

you have skills , nice truck and work . great build .

3. LostHope

LostHope

thanks man!

Not much on the truck still but did get the plaque painted and mounted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had been looking for a rubber floor mat but didnt fork out the $180 yet to a supply company ,when a buddy came across a original 66 rubber floor mat and sold it to me for $20 it had a few 1/2 to 3/4 cracks at the edges and when i was holding it up in the air as i was trying to open the slider door the weight of the mat ripped one of those cracks almost all the way.....I was pretty bummed and pissed at myself.....

I took some rubber square sheets and rubber glue and patched it back together from the backside:
    [​IMG]

It was pretty dirty so i washed and scrubed it the best i could and bought a can of rubberized paint and painted it black again turned out pretty nice and will do for a driver for now..
    [​IMG]
    I think it cleaned up the look of floor alot:
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod and bengeltiger like this.
  4. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Hey man!!! Just caught back up with you and saw the plaques....VERY COOL!!!!!!!

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

The mat looks SWEET!!!! Great job patching it up and I like your thinking when it comes to fixing and re-using!!! I agree, $180 for a repop is steep. I love this truck and the painted plaque looks SLICK!!!!

6. Blake84

Blake84

Love the plaques. Truck looks great

7. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Hey man...Anything new on either one of your projects?? I'm not used to you not posting something and I know that you're sure as hell not slacking!! Just checking on you, man! I hope everything's ok...

8. LostHope

LostHope

thanks blake glad you like them!
    Haha no worrys im still here! Theres been a nasty flu bug going around and i just so happened to catch it and layed dying in bed for 3 days, but im better now :D, and there was the swapmeet here in Sacramento that i went to so that took up a day, and then there was the honey to do list around the house that i dedicated yesterday too, but i did get some work done on the truck today!!

Still messing with the ford but did tinker with the truck a little,picked the rebuilt edelbrock carb from the shop and put it on, amazing how much better a rebuild makes the truck run:
    [​IMG]
    then i just added the air cleaner and tiding up some wiring to make the engine compartment look a little cleaner:
    [​IMG]
    then i got crazy and hooked up three horns that have all different tones, looks a little weird but believe me people will here me when i honk the horn:lol:
    [​IMG]
    then i messed around with the bags and took this picture of the truck in tug boat mode:
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. as i told you earlier i think your truck has worms. lol

10. Hot Rod Chris

Hot Rod Chris

Man that is dope!!! Where can I get some info on how to try this!!!
    Truck is looking goood!!!

11. LostHope

LostHope

"Glendale" and I used the tech thread that "Loudpedal" did on it here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464599&highlight=sand+casting
    All the credit goes to him and his great write up on it and theres way better pictures of what you can make as far as parts and also your own furnace!

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Glad to hear that you are better!!! Man, after seeing the pics of the rebuilt carb, I didn't realize that your truck was so clean under the hood!! LOOKS SWEET!!! I love this truck!!!!!!!!

13. LostHope

LostHope

Need to pressure wash the engine bay its pretty dirty in person,the previous owner cleaned and rattle canned the engine bay black, the crate motor i had was already black so all the black hides the dirt well:D......still need to put the heater box/blower motor back in,dual master power brakes, and id like to find some different valve covers and air cleaner, the cheap chrome ones is just what i had and used at the moment.

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. SantaAnaSpeed

SantaAnaSpeed
    from Santa Ana

Your dedication shows, good job man.

15. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks for the kind words!

UPDATE:
    Not much of a update on the truck, or at least to take pictures of.....Just hooked up the E-brake cable setup and got it working nice, painted the battery tray and bolted it in, got around to replacing all the missing bolts that hold the front clip together, checked the gear oil in the rearend,greased all the u-joints and zert fittings on the truck,add a second fuse to the headlight relays and added sealed relays,timed and tuned the motor, started putting the heater box together and found out the heater core is junk, so waiting on new core before i can bolt the heater box back in...just tinkering around with loose ends really.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  16. LostHope

LostHope

Tinkered with the truck today, when im sitting in the house and staring out my security door now that i have the truck facing the house I kept looking at the hood snout holes and it looked kinda messed up from some where along the lines having red overspray shot inside them:
    [​IMG]
    so i took a wire brush and tryed to scuff up the paint best i could then tape and papered the openings and sprayed some primer:
    [​IMG]
    then after that was dry i painted them black, looks 100% times better to me:
    [​IMG]

and since i was working on the hood I started thinking about my hood safety device i want to install since this is what happened to my old truck when the latch failed:
    [​IMG]
    Alo seeing it happen to other classic cars on other forums..I wanted to make sure i had something for added security...

Ive seen some guys making brackets that they put a lock through,and some guys using chain, so after a little pondering I came up with a very simple solution for my problem, since i have a custom grill i made i can easily slip my hand through it and reach the safety latch hook , so i drilled a hole in it where it would be least compromised for strength and looped a lock through:
    [​IMG]
    and this is with it locked and trying to open the hood after the latch has released:
    [​IMG]
    I think it worked out pretty good as a safety device from the hood popping up ,and also will work well as a theft prevention since you cant cut it with bolt cutters....now i wont have my battery stolen like in the past, and if i wanted to i could undo a battery cable and pull a spark plug wire off if i plan on leaving it anywhere for a long period of time so no one can start it unles they put some time and effort in...

My only concerns was:
    1. in case of a fire how quick could I get it unlocked? But i figure it would be as fast as having a lock and chain/brackets(and its actually pretty easy to reach)
    2. was the strength of the hook after i drilled a hole in it, It looks to be fine but i may weld a washer around the hole for extra strength.

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. Beat2Hell

Beat2Hell
    from So. Cal

Bad ass! That's a sick truck thur. I had my hood latch fail on a '67 Dodge truck while getting on the freeway. Same effect, looks like your windsheild was ok, so was mine. It's all about the low buck build!

18. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks man , luckily i was on a side road by my house and i made it home but it was still scary stuff when it popped up, These trucks have a little bit of a over hang on the roof so that helped with it not breaking the windshield...

Update:
    Since some financial issues have came up lately and I have zero income coming in this has gone from a "low buck build" to a "no buck build" so Progress may stop for awhile, but Im just going to try and do things that dont cost anything...

I had a old can of white high temp engine paint so I pulled the brake light housing off and painted them white so I can get maximum reflection and some what bright lights using the reg. 12volt bulbs:
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. LostHope

LostHope

Since I had the white out painting the tail light housings I decided to paint the the tail gate chains , I planned on buying the precut "Chevrolet" decal's for the tailgate but might try and hand paint them white so the backend has some more contrast with the white letters and chains ...

old red chains stripped:
    [​IMG]

primed and painted white chains:
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dude, if you're worried about an under hood fire PUT A PROPER DUAL THROTTLE RETURN SPRING AND BRACKET ON THE CARB. NOT BUENO !

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  21. LostHope

LostHope

Lol I was waiting for someone to see that:p,If you look closely at those last engine pictures(or post #48) it actually has the dual return springs that are hooked to the lokar mounting bracket that bolts to the back of the carb, but the lokar springs are weak springs and dont allow the throttle to return all the way, I have a bracket for the jerry rigged spring your talking about that I have misplaced in the shed somewhere that bolts onto the front of the intake that I will install once I find it....The truck hasnt been driven yet and I definitely wont drive it like that, I just needed the extra stronger spring on there while I got the truck running so the throttle would return all the way while tuning the carb so it wouldnt be revving slightly from the weak spring not allowing throttle to completely return.....thank you for looking out and being concerned tho.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  22. LostHope

LostHope

I mainly worked on the ford today but since my temporary secondary jerry rigged throttle return spring was brought up I felt like it needed to be addressed. I didnt find the spring mounting bracket I have been looking for in the shed but I did find a bracket that will work untill I find it..I bolted it on the intake and also swapped out the spring for another set of dual throttle springs I had.

Now The set-up has two sets of dual throttle return springs and actually pulls the throttle all the way back nicely and I like the Idea of a second set just Incase I took a picture so you can see everything should be kosher.

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Hey man....Sorry to hear about the income issue...I know how that shit is. Anyway, I'm glad to see that you're still finding things to do to the truck. The funny thing is that with so many projects, it's the little things that make something stand out. Youhave a real knack for finding things to touch up and work on that make a real difference on the vehicle. This thing keeps getting better and better a bit at a time and it's not breaking the bank....this sets a good example for a lot of folks!!

Keep swingin', Bro!!!

1Nimrod likes this.
  24. LostHope

LostHope

I think i may have the income thing worked out, so thats a good thing, and i think im going to put the surgery off for a couple years and try and get by with out it, so if all works out everything should be on the up and up! santa maria show is close by so after that should be back to the car and truck....between building the ol' lady a raised garden in the back yard and helping my cousin "glendale" out with his 51 plymouth i havent really messed with my rides,if you havent seen his thread yet check it out thats what im usually working on, on the weekends: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518751 Ill have to check yur thread bugsy....

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Man this was a fun freakin thread to read. it gave me inspiration for my 60 Fridge. Great job so far on your build man!

26. martin

martin

Good work mate, I have had a 65 for 12 years and not done this much work, and I also have a full-on workshop. and it looks like you work in the drive.
    Good on you Sir, you make all your parts, and work with what you have. You are a Hot Rodder in every sence of the word. this was one of the best threads Iv`e ever read. keep it up mate. Martin.

1Nimrod likes this.
  27. LostHope

LostHope

Right on glad to hear I inspired you....dont forget to take pictures of what you do maybe youll start a build thread someday unless you already have one;)

Wow Thanks for the kind words they are much appreciated! I know some people might look down on some of my shade tree methods or what I do but atleast im doing what I can with what I got, and seem to get alot of positive feedback....Next month ill have owned the truck 1 year:eek: I wanted to try and have more done to it by now, but life has seemed to throw me some curve balls but I do feel like ive got alot done between the truck and car combined..thanks again cheers:)

Last edited: May 19, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  28. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

lovin the build!! lol, i was in flip flops in one of my pics on my thread the night i was rippin my truck apart.. tend to weld in cut off shirts too:l.. too bad we arent closer because all my "buddies" think im crazy and laugh while i sweat my a$$ off under my baby.. beautiful truck btw! im thinkin im gonna drop mine like that..

29. LostHope

LostHope

Hell ya whatever gets it done! I been called crazy a handful of times also...thanks for the complements it is much appreciated, I will be keeping a eye on your thread so make sure you post updates!!

Well havent worked on the truck because ive went back to working instead of going for surgery and have had no extra funds, but I did take it out for the first drive :cool:ever besides up and down the street for test runs,put quit a few miles about 30 on her! heres some pictures the ol' lady took:

[​IMG]

heres where i noticed her taking pictures but didnt want to take my eyes off the road I was a nervous wreck listening for something to go boom:

[​IMG]

Nothing went boom ! but we did have a issue at the gas station....since i only have poured gas into the tank at home with a long funnel i didnt know there was a leak in the rubber hose filler on the tank so when i put the gas pump nozzle in and squeezed the trigger gas gushed all over the floor board and i didnt know until it was pouring out the bottom of the door at the rockers, besides the floor board full of fuel the truck did great with 0 problems!

1Nimrod likes this.
  30. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop