Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

2. I love this shot! Just something about it.

[​IMG]

3. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

The Government knew it would do no good but it was a way to make the masses feel safer, It was the same way with those "Shark Repellent" die packs given to pilots and sailors back then.People back then had almost blind trust in our government, If they said "Duck and cover" would protect us we believed them.

4. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Pic 48472 "Vanderbilt Cup races" is that "The Pits" those guys are in by the track? Could this be where we got the term from in racing? "Pit row, pits etc." for where we park and work on the race cars.

5. On the first bike are my friends John W. Finn (WWII hero...look him up on Google) and his wife Alice. Second bike shows friends Niles and Irene Thomas.

Attached Files:

6. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Proof the P-51 "Mustang" was built by NAA in 1941----BINGO!

Attached Files:

7. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Mishaps in Boston...

Attached Files:

8. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

WOW.Thats a Great shot !!!

9. Heo2

Heo2

Maby of interest to some Forcedlandingcollection.se
    pictures of warbirds that landed in Sweden during ww2
    both USA, British,and German

10. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Ready for a boating adventure...

Attached Files:

• K9s.JPG
      K9s.JPG
      File size:
      436.8 KB
      Views:
  11. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

<!-- / sig -->
    Holden Steam Powered Motorcycle is pictured, info here:
    http://www.ozebook.com/holden.htm

12. swi66

swi66

13. This looks kinda like a Stude; has it been modified or customized? Any info on it? Those headlights really look nice.

[​IMG]

14. swi66

swi66

15. Al, what a nice shot, uncle Joe's Merc was a chick magnet, i guess! do you recall what make the hood ornament was? my first thought was the packard swan.. is the car (and one of your nice ones) still around?

your friend, Carsten

16. That Merc 'vert sure brings back memories for me too. When I was a kid in the mid 50s one of the local batchelors had a black '47 convertible - decked to the nines. I still remember dad telling us "...he never had a driver's license but someone had given him an honorary deputy sheriff's badge that he used to keep from getting tickets..." Almost always seen wearing a big black cowboy hat and one of those gawdy, flashy western shirts, old Jess kept that Mercury spotless, I got many rides in it back in the day.

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  18. Ron, thanks for that, i really enjoy to hear these stories, that's what this fabulous thread is grown from! still can imagine the all dressed up guy. ever heard what kind of guy he came out?

19. hell,I love the hole dam thread !!!!!!

Keep em coming, h.a.m.b 's

20. Jess was old when I was a kid. That is to say - he was old in years but young in heart. Everybody's friend, seemed he'd do whatever was asked of him. He loved Hank Williams Sr and let everyone know; I can almost hear Jess in that off-key twangy voice of his, trying to sing 'Hey, Good Lookin'. . .

Hard to imagine in today's world and lifestyles that someone like he even existed. I wouldn't say he was a transient - he wasn't. But he lived on different farms in the area, helping farmers with their crops, cattle, butchering - whatever needed doing, and wherever Jess hung his hat was home.

My dad was a self-employed builder of houses; when he needed a second pair of hands, arms or legs Jess was often there to help. And with the teens? Jess would help pull an engine, do a brake job, or even 'flag' the practice sessions on improvised 1/4 miles! He passed in 1967, well into his 80s while my older brother was in VietNam and I was still in high school. Huge turnout at his funeral, and I don't think a dry eye in the lot.

21. swi66

swi66

22. swi66

swi66

23. swi66

swi66

24. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Pearson Cox Steam Car
    [​IMG]

25. seems that Jess had a good taste and a kind heart in every way, you nailed it, people like him are very seldom nowadays.. nicely you mentioned him singing some Hank tunes, that reminds me i'm addicted to him (see link below), love to sing when Hank sr. does while i do some work on the Pontiac... Thanks Ron, this story made my beer o'clock bright! Think Jess is in good memory for everyone who knew him.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708024

Carsten

26. sleep well, li'l bulletnose stude...

27. JazzDad

JazzDad
    from USA

The one in the foreground looks like it would be tough on the kidneys.

28. Jagman

Jagman

[​IMG]

Everbody's crazy bout a sharp dressed man!

I don't remember what year the Studebaker was, but my brother's about 1 in this pic, and he's 6 years younger than me so that makes this pic about 1956, probably Easter judging from the fancy duds. Still 3 more boys to come.....

29. 56shoebox

56shoebox

My guess is it is a 1941 Willys by Americar.

30. Jagman

Jagman

[​IMG]

Headed off to war, that's Dad's 39 Dodge parked on the street , I think.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.