Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Planets Align & I Buy a '41 Willys Coupe: Can you help track its racing history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Jun 18, 2012.

1. I can't wait to see how this one shakes out.

Awesome car.

JH

2. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

g-willys, i love reading your posts when it comes to willys. You're probably the most knowledgeable person when it comes to these things. its like a history lesson!:D

3. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Brian, what an awesome score and I know you'll certainly do it justice!
    I agree that it's a pre-gasser/fiberglass era build. Looks like most parts are pre '60; 55 Ford master cyl., early 50's Chevy steering wheel (a very unlikely choice).I'm thinkin late 50's era time capsule here.

Given the fact that it had front brakes and has aftermarket sealed beam headlights, I'm wondering if it was street driven/street raced in its first go round, then was turned into a competition only later on (hotter engine, tow bar evidence, etc.).
    Any evidence of roll bar or what type of seating it might have had?

Look for an old dude with big guns. He'll be the one that drilled all those holes!

4. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I'm excited about this because I know without a doubt that this car is going to turn out awesome. It's gonna to look bad. It's gonna sound bad. Can't wait!

5. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I can't find any evidence of a roll bar ever being installed, but I haven't really looked very hard under the package tray yet. There is a firewall/bulkhead under the package tray that appears to have been made out of an old sign. There are studs in the floor on the driver's side for a bucket seat of some sort, but nothing on the passenger side.

6. belair

belair

Congrats-a cool car in capable hands. This will be a cool build.

7. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I don't have any info for you but I've got to subscribe. I'm sure you're going to build this baby up right like your other cars. Great looking jumping off point for sure. Can't wait to see it coming together.

8. oj

oj

It is beautiful just like it is. You can see the nobility and how proud she is. Great car!

9. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Freakin awesome find. I wonder who the original designer was for thr Willy's Coupes. They are just perfect

10. Dr. Remulak

Dr. Remulak
    from Phila. Pa

Wow, great car. It looks like we both got our cars at the same Car Lot. Good luck with your build.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
    rumblegutz likes this.
  11. 39 Ford

39 Ford

So whatever you do make it a driver, a race car that only goes out a couple of times a year is a waste of a great car.

12. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Wow, Am I jealous. I had an all steel ex B/G 41 Willys I bought in 71 when I was in high school. The guy I got it from bought the car for the 413 Chrsyler motor it had for his boat. When life and three hungry kids came into the picture, I sold it in 76 to a guy in Iowa before I finished it. My plans were to detune the stroked 392 Hemi that had been a spare motor for the Arbys A/F FED and play on the strip and street. I'll be following your build as it will bring back a lot of good memories.

13. PA-IndianRider

PA-IndianRider

I'm GREEN with envy.

Since I built a Revell model of a Willys coupe when I was a kid I always had the dream of owing one someday.

Came very close to buying a Willys sedan a couple of years ago but the deal did not work out.

So for now converting this drag-only Opel to street/strip.
    [​IMG]

Look forward to seeing more about "MY Dream Car"

14. I'll be watching this as well.

15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Awesome find. One more build thread I'll definitely be following.

16. Its hard to believe these "finds" are still around, tooo coool! I'm subscribed to this one!

17. Wow man. When you go to look up the definition of the term "Speed Holes" this photo should be there! LOL

[​IMG]

18. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Brian Kool Willys great find and good luck with the build looks perfect as it is regards Wayne

19. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

congratulations!

I concur with much that is said already.

The only point I would like to press...PLEASE run an Olds. If you want another belly button, run the hemi. But the Olds, with LaSalle transmission, would be so perfect.

I would guess the reason you don't see a roll bar...it was run back in the day before one would be required and it likely wasn't all that fast in the first place.

best wishes!

20. Elrod

Elrod

I can't wait for some history to pop up on this one. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.
    I'm sure the lack of roll cage is another sign of it being an early early one. Looking forward to seeing this at upcoming shows!!

21. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

A Chrysler Hemi is a belly-button motor now? Who are you guys?

At this point, I don't know what engine was in the car. It could have been a 265/283 Chevy backed by a Lasalle for all I know. Something tells me I'm not going to hear you guys clamouring for me to put a SBC in the car if that's what was in it when it was raced, huh? :)

I like the idea of the Olds...but I'm going to do some serious thinking about the direction of the car before I make any decisions on the engine.

22. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Aren't any '41 Willys without the original L Head 4cyl technically bellybutton at this point? Olds, Hemi or even 301 Chevy would be awesome! You can't lose!!!

Good score!

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hmmmm, Kemo Sabe...you make other Hamb members plenty jelous.

Congrats!

24. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

This is gonna be good!

25. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool find. I belive that would be the stock steering box. I have 3 and they all have Ross boxes just like that one. Congrats.
    Larry

26. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Great find.....congrats...

27. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Or early Cadillac. :D:D:D

28. Blown Nailhead anyone (with some improved modern go fast goodies on the inside), or 348 done the same way?

29. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Perhaps a Black and Decker Aquarium Pump

elgringo71 likes this.
  30. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Congratulations and welcome to the real Willys Coupe Club. PM me if you need parts or info. Nice find!