Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Here's a few shots of a 65 Cyclone I'm doing for some friends.Street/strip car..SBF w/two fours..Will be a B/FX replica when finished..

Attached Files:

2. SOHC427

SOHC427

That's what I remembered too, Roy, Thanks.
    Nice car, pretty good price when it was for sale.
    Gasser1, good looking car, too!
    Eric

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Fordgasser1;I would install some kind of shock tower brace!!! I've seen them collapse inward after hitting a pot hole!!! Nice looking 65 Comet! ROY.

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Pretty cool '66 launching at GreatLakes Dragway,borrowed pic from the Hunnert car pileup thread.

[​IMG]

5. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks for the compliments..

65, The owners wanted the factory shock tower braces removed ..If it collapses in,I guess we'll put a straight axle in it and alter the wheelbase!

Here's a few more shots from Sundays race at ATCO..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  6. SOHC427

SOHC427

ClearSpot, that's a 67, and a good looking one!
    Eric

7. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

I agree with with the owner on Not Using the Export Braces!! Know way can those braces be used with 4 Webers or Fuel Injection, none of the 22 1964 AFX 427 Comets had those Export Beaces, I never seen the any side wall cave in.
    Those Export Braces were made for the 64 Falcons Duribilty cars that were used in Europe in 1964. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

8. 65COMET

65COMET

Dave;those cars saw duty on a FLAT,SMOOTH[hopefully] drag strip! I am speaking from personal experience,not rumors,seen it happen in the real world of street driving.Not only do the towers move but the fenders get damaged too! I was just trying to give some hands on advice,do what ever you want,it is not my problem!!!! ROY.

9. Roy, I to have witness the shock towers move on a street car. Take off the hood and go for a drive. I had to use a jack to push the towers back to their right spots.
    Roger

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;any new news on your Comet?Are you guys putting on the races again this year?I'm looking to attend the Mega Ford Race on September 8&9,is that[Mission] anywhere close to you? ROY.

11. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

The owners are after a B/FX look and we thought the export braces were removed like the A/FX cars,but i have seen pics of real B/fxers having the braces..We plan on running mechanical fuel injection at a later date..

To replicate the '65 B/FX look,I fabricated a pair of traction bars to the exact specs of the original bars used..deleted the rear seat too..

Attached Files:

12. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

As far as the welded in support braces that are on all the Comers & Falcons go they were not used on Hipo 289ci 271hp. They all came with the Bolt in Export Brace. I know what 65 BFX Comet you saw it on, a friend mine restored that Comet, it was Rebodyed TWICE!! I got into a hassle with the owners back in 1995! I have pictures of it all three times. End of Story.
    Looking at the Track Bars that you made look great and they will work fine until you start to hook up. I can't quite see, do you have the 9" housing with the neck down tubes on the housing like the original 8" housing had? If you do you will twist the housing where the center section will twist in a negative positive which is bad. I been threw that already go to a stronger non-tapered housing from a 1957 to 1964 Galaxie housing with the small bearings them have it Narrowed it the correct Comet length. End of Story. ~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~

13. FordGasser1: Looks like you have a 1957 Fullsize 9" there.
    Only 1957 had a smooth centersection with no dimples, I've currently got 3 of then & they are not common. They are however weaker than the later housings with the boxy tapered section from the carrier area.

I prefer the early housings like yours for looks since i'm not planning too much torque (450 FT/lb) from my builds and not drag tires.

Movin/on

14. Well Roy my comet has been on hold as I have not worked since Oct. Now I'm planning my second surgery on July 18. Our local 1/4 race is Aug 11/12. I hope to be ok to drive. I bought a solid cam(not installed yet) and have a set of 4:88 gears for this year. Mission is close, about 3 hrs of driving and a 2 hr ferry ride. I might go to the all Ford weekend also.
    Roger

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Roger;I forgot that you had been out of work! I hope the surgery goes well! ROY.

16. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Remember those 65 BFX Comet were 2600 Lbs. W/O Driver minus Safety Equipment. My BFX weights 2680 with Safety Equipment and 10 Point Chromemoly Roll Cage. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

17. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

Thanks for the clarification Dave..I saw one pic of the B/FX car that had weld in braces and thought we got it wrong by removing them..Either way,we'll see how the car holds up and add the bolt in brace if we tweak the shock towers..

Movin/on.. The rear housing looks alot like the '57 Ranchero housing but it's a little longer..I was told it was from a '66 Comet(not sure of that),a little too long,so I shortened it a few inches to equal the width of the original 8" housing.It doesn't have the tapered ends as the 8" did..Our first outing at the track and it hooked up okay..Got a little air under the front tires (I'll try and post video).1.72 60 foot times..12.25 et at 109mph..

18. Fordgasser1

Fordgasser1
    from Jersey

we're going to add fiberglass body components next year to get the weight down..What do these weigh stock w/smallblock v-8?

19. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

20. 65COMET

65COMET

Guys;my 65 Caliente had to weigh 2985[without me in it] to run in Stock Eliminator back in the late 60s.That was with a 289,T-10 and 8" rear end,everything had to be as it came from Mercury!As it is raced now with Crites glass fenders,bumper,hood,gutted doors with fixed Lexan widows,all aluminum panels and floors,aluminum Kirkey seats,10 point full mild steel cage,418"Windsor,Jerico 4-Speed,Mark Williams 9" on coilovers and ladderbars it weighs 3050 with out me in it.I hope this gives you something to go by,the Crites parts are not their light weight race parts. ROY.

21. SOHC427

SOHC427

So 3350, if Fast Eddie is driving???

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;or 3270 with my fat ass in the seat!!!!Are you going to Denver with Ken? ROY.

23. SOHC427

SOHC427

You mean All Ford Day?
    I have to work, on Saturday, or I would go.

Your weight is still less then Eddies. He eats lots at Hooters, but just off the menu!!
    Eric

24. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Good luck on the surgery Roger. I thought you were closer to Mission than a 3 hr drive and a 2 hr. ferry ride? Brian

25. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

This is the next project for AFX dave build 427 fe for his 1966 comet:)

Attached Files:

26. K Wyson

K Wyson

Who makes the wheels on the 66 comet.They looks really close to the old Hallibrands with out the mag oxidation

27. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

K Wyson;
    About those wheel on 66 Comet, I bought those thru Summit Racing Parts back in 1995, they didn't have them listed very long, they were made by a Ovol
    Track Rym MFG. but these were for Drag Racing. I liked the looks the first time I saw them. They are Alum 15"x 12" wide with 31"x 10.5 W on the rear, and 15" x 4" on the front. The rears Summit had and the fronts I had to wait for, some Hot Rod Shop in the Chicago Area sent them to me. I paid Summit??? I tried to get a extra set, I as told Summit didn't handle them any more. I look around my stuff to see who MFG them. ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

28. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

After seeing Dave's red Wonder, I had to re-invest my morning, and got to work on my Cyclone. Four trashcans (yes- I said four) later, It cleaned up incredibly well, with a patina that cannot be bought. Next step, get the engine brought back to life...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Thoughts & prayers for all our Colorado H.A.M.B.ers who may be in harms way from the wildfires especialy mercuryjunky, Fast Eddie & SOHC427.....Mike

30. SOHC427

SOHC427

Thanks Mike,
    Merc and I are pretty safe, for now, and Eddies the close one. I told him if he needed, to bring his stuff up here.
    I appreciate the good thoughts, though!

Eric