Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 55 Dodge Father & Son build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29Jay, Apr 18, 2012.

1. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I wanted to share this project with you guys as we go along. My oldest son and I started on this 1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer a few months back. He is not a gear head, but I’m trying to teach him the value of working for the things you have. My theory is if he touches every part of this car, he will not only appreciate and respect it, but hopefully be more careful with it as well.

So I struck a deal with my Mopar mentor and good friend Curtis to let us start on some of the repairs before we bought the car. Step one, let the boys pull the fenders and see if they still like the idea of working on cars. I fix the rust and the boys put them back on…
    <O:p></O:p>

Attached Files:

2. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

The 1<SUP>st</SUP> day we started on the car, Taylor was working on a bolt in the door jamb. It smashed his hand and gave him a nice thin cut. He was hurt, but not injured. I told him that the car bit him and it was part of the test to see if he could finish what he started. I explained that it takes blood sweat and tears… You have to bleed on them for them to truly be yours…
    <O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

3. farmer12

farmer12

Always great to see a father and son build. Looks like a cool project!

4. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

The we got the fenders off and I could see the feeling of pride he had. When I say "we" I really do mean him, his brother, a little help here and there from one of my club mates, Curtis, or me... He really did do 90% of the work.

Attached Files:

5. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

With the fenders home for some rust repair, it was time for some patch panels. It was Taylor’s job to remove all trim and bag the bolts and box everything up for safe keeping. I showed him how the E-Wheel worked… I think he is having a little bit of fun… It might not be the X-Box… But I’m working on it.<O:p</O:p

Attached Files:

6. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Top left pic is my blood. Taylor got a kick out of it when he saw it... With the patches made and welded in place, the boys took over... They were in charge of all the sanding...

Attached Files:

7. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

On to primer... We used DP90 Black because it will be a while before we get a full paint job...

Attached Files:

8. CruZer

CruZer

What a great post and what a cool car !!! Keep up the work ,guys. The kids are the future of our hobby and we have to teach them. Dad, you are doing a good job.

Back in 1994, my son was in high school and I was driving a '40 Ford coupe. He traveled with me to lots of car shows ( to get out of his mother hounding him, I suspect ) but, now he's got a daughter and isn't INTO cars but he knows someday when I kick the bucket he's going to be stuck with my 34 Roadster or whatever I have at the time, and he's getting my grandaughter prepared to take on the tradition.

I'm hoping eventually,he'll come back to the hotrod hobby, but who knows ???

9. A really neat car and just awesome how you are encouraging and teaching the hobby to your son. Keep it up.

10. Love these and I'll be doing the same with my son in a year or so with our Hudson. I'll be keeping up with this one. Win those boys hearts early!!!

11. L Wright

L Wright
    from N.C.

Cherish the days I spent with my old man workin on cars! They will mean so much! That's awesome. Its definitely something I miss, good job man

12. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Thanks for the words guys! I did not get to do these things with my dad. Curtis is the fella with the paint gun... He is glad to pass on knowlage... the old school, hard way... This is almost a father/son build for me as well... Curtis is very interested in what we are doing and has forgoten more about these old Mopars than most... I am lucky to have him as a friend. Very lucky! They just don't make'em like him too often.

13. R Pope

R Pope

A cut or two working on old tin is a good way to learn that a little blood loss ain't the end of the world.
    Raisin' them right!

14. Every Hot Rod has to have some DNA on it. ;)

I can't wait to see Taylor's face when we get a gaggle together behind his Lancer.
    Wish my dad had done this for me.
    Good on you Jay, you Rule!

15. SlickRick83

SlickRick83
    from merced

Here is a picture of my brothers (SapienKustoms) 55 Dodge.
    [​IMG]

16. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Rick beat me to it.

Keep up the good work.

17. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

18. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Just keep it fun. These Mid-Fifties Mopars make great rides. If possible try to keep it all Mopar. You'll gain braggin' rites. Here's mine still running the original Baby Hemi ....

Attached Files:

19. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Awesome! Love the fact that there still are kids in this digital age following tradition and getting their hands dirty. I have a 55 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe. All mopars from 55 are awesome in my book.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

20. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

So far the baby Hemi is a runner... The plan is mild custom... More on that later...

21. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

We had a couple of delays getting this girl home... With schedules and rain etc... I fell a couple of weeks behind. We worked getting her running while standing in a 3" of sloppy mud. The carb gave us some trouble, but we get her going after some cleaning. We Let her worm up good, but it was too muddy to move her. The finaly we were able to get he home...

There was a valve cover leak, so new gaskets were in order... We put Sea Foam in the engine to help de-sludge... Let her run for 15 min... when I pulled the drain plug... Nothing came out. My heart stopped. I thought I ran her without any oil... then I poked a screw driver into the drain hole... Nasty! Nasty crap came out. But that was the reason we were doing this... We pulled the pump too for a 3 day soak and clean. There was a dent in the bottom of the pan. I'm very glad I decided to bang it out... Found this little gem... Easy fix.

Attached Files:

22. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

Digging into the rust... The driver side was not so bad... The outer & inner rocker on the pass side were all bad. I have been working to replace the whole inner rocker all the way back to the wheel well...

Attached Files:

23. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

The boys worked on re assembly of the gravel gaurd, grill, bumper and fenders. Those wheels... the stock wheel is supposed to be 15 x 7.10. The wheels on her ar 14's. We had this cool 4 bar hub cap, but it had to go on a 14" wheel... Sooo.. we went with Chrome Steelies from Early Wheel Co. Jason and the guys are fantastic! They really make you feel like your project and time line is as important to them as it is you.

Attached Files:

24. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I am hanging onto all of the rusty parts until we are done, so Taylor can see how much we work we did...

Attached Files:

25. robertsregal

robertsregal

Great project for the boys to learn and get some knowledge in the process, I like the chrome smoothies!!!!

26. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Great idea. Great work. Keep the updates coming. Love the 55's u don't see many on the road

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

27. srj23

srj23
    from MD

I have a 55 Plymouth with the 235- 6 Cylinder. Cannot remove the drain plug...Does it unscrew clockwise or counter-clockwise. I need to change the oil and have tried several times to remopve the oil pan plug to the point the plug is chewed up (no corners). Can you help??? Thanks.

28. Streight8

Streight8

My avatar picture is our father son build we are just finishing. We were lucky to not have too serious amounts of rust. Now he gets to help me on my car and that is a bit of a different story!

29. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Awesome. I don't have any '55-56 Mopar parts but I am pretty close and can turn wrenches with you guys if needed. I do have a few things, and know where to find more, so don't hesitate to ask. You guys are making us proud!!
    -Danny

30. beautiful work on the old Dodge....nice vintage iron in your backyard too !!....kinda looks similar to mine !!