Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I'm being framed!....Laying out a 34 chassis at the Candy Factory.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speedy Canuck, Jun 18, 2012.

1. When I started on this truck two years ago, I had grand visions of flatheads, T-5 transmissions, and disc brakes. My influences spanned the 40s through the 60s and I was wanted to incorporate them all into one build. Basically... I didn't know shit.

My complete lack of knowledge, (and rapidly changing tastes), were reflected in the first build (or more aptly, tear-down) thread that I started. It's a difficult and confusing read.
    You can find it here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=559727

Two years later and I still don't know shit. :D However, now I'm a man with a plan. A plan, a direction, and a little more sense.
    I picked an era, focused my influences, and made choices that reflected my end goals.

Here's what I started out with:
    [​IMG]

Two years of disassembly, swap meet finds and parts runs left me with a disassembled truck, three engines, three transmissions, three rear axles, and a whole mess of smaller parts stuffed in boxes, sheds and closets.

But now, I think it's time to get going and put this thing back together. ;)

Stay tuned, the plan comes next.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. ChefMike

ChefMike

Man on a mission cool ! I think it was a year before I figured out what I wanted to do and I know that I have no clue at times with what I'm doing but I dont let it stop me !

3. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Best of luck, for a cool pick up! Make a plan and try not to wavier from it...to far??

4. dragass

dragass

I'll be keeping an eye out for this one. Sounds like you did some homework. Truck is pretty sweet in the picture so I can't wait to see the end result.

5. oj

oj

You got me worried here, Speedy. That quote above usually comes right before the part about: 'here, hold my beer, i bet you ain't never seen this before!'
    Just kiddin, just kiddin - we gotta have fun around here!
    I'll bite, whats the plan?

6. I just want to build a clean, 50s period, traditionally inspired hotrod.

To do that, I've spent a fair bit of time combing the internet, old magazines, books and photographs for inspiration. (My education in history is paying dividends on the research I'm doing.)

I nailed down a cutoff date of 1957, meaning that my focus is on the trends that were taking place in late 1955, 1956, and 1957. Obviously I'm making certain allowances for my own personal tastes and desires, but I'm hoping to stay fairly true to the time period. (I guess when it's done, I'll get some feedback from here on how true I stayed).
    Everything on the truck (again, some slight exceptions) will be a part that was available in 1957, or a reproduction of a part available then.

Since this thread is going to focus on the foundation of the truck, I'll give you the outline for chassis and power:

The Chassis:

I'm starting with reproduction 1934 frame rails and a reproduction front crossmember. The x-member will be be a 35-40 Ford style, though it's being custom fabricated to fit the engine and transmission choices (more on that later). The rear crossmember is out of the original frame.

Up front, the cross member is being pushed forward to make a little more room for the engine, and the horns are being bobbed as well. The entire front set up is heavily influenced (read: stolen) from the Yeakel Brothers 29 roadster.
    I'd been debating on bobbing the front horns, and had made some different suspension plans. My biggest catch was that I wanted bobbed horns, but I also wanted to be able to use a tow bar. By chance, I was flipping through the annual Rod & Custom Little Pages, and a front end shot of the roadster just grabbed me. It's the perfect compromise.

Here's the picture that convinced me:
    [​IMG]

A few others stolen from Hot Rod's website for reference: (I have more I need to scan on at some point).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The original 34 axle is staying, along with the spring over axle configuration. I debated on a dropped axle, but it's a truck after all, and I'd like to keep some clearance. The 34 wishbones are being split, and will be slung just under the frame rails. Shocks will be located via thru-axle bolts and modified F1 upper shock mounts... very similar to the pictures above.
    The 34 spindles are being retained, an F1 steering box and column will provide direction, and 40 Ford front brakes to slow things down. The front will be rolling on 40s Ford 16" rims, with 16 x 5.50 rubber.

Out back, the banjo is being replaced with a 1957 Ford 9" rear axle. It'll be located by parallel leaf springs, though it hasn't been determined if the axle will be overslung or underslung yet. The 57 Ford self adjusting brakes are being retained, though new shafts and drums will allow for a 5 x 5.5 bolt pattern. Rear rims will be the same as up front, while rear rubber will be 16 x 7.00.

Power:

I've got a running Olds Rocket 324 and matching Hydromatic transmission sitting in the corner of the garage. They're both circa 1954 and with a freshening up, should make the truck scoot along just fine. Internally, the engine will be fairly stock, but a NOS (?) Edelbrock 3x2 intake manifold with a trio of 94s or 97s should provide a bit of eye candy. If that's not enough, the intake will be flanked by rare Fenton finned valve covers.

The Hydro, while also remaining fairly stock, will have some modifications done to it reminiscent of B&M. An old Hurst Hydro/Gate will help with gear selection.

That's the plan. Now it's time to execute...

7. Sounds just like me: "This time I know what I'm doing!"

Never stop learning cuz we all start out not knowing shit. And what we like today, we may not like a year from now.

8. metal man

metal man

Can't wait to see what you come up with. With the pile of parts you have, I know it will be cool.

9. If your going to be taylor fitting a frame why not upgrade to a 32?

10. oj

oj

I like the concept, a '57ish period piece, there was some great stuff being built back then.
    This can be a very interesting build.
    thanks, oj

11. Sounds kool, but you have a lot of work to, so you better get started if you want to make Syracuse!

Make sure to post lots of pic's.

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You can count on me following this thread..

13. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Very Kool AJ....

Some pin striping in the future ?

14. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Can't wait to see some real progress!

I love the plan!

15. Grumbler

Grumbler

Rocket powered, I'm in!

16. farmer12

farmer12

17. Now, my execution has a bit of a catch... Remember that whole "I don't know shit" part from my first post on this thread? Yeah? Well, it still applies. It also extends to cover certain aspects like 'I don't own a welder' and 'I haven't used a welder in a decade' and 'I wouldn't trust myself to properly set up a frame'. So here's the part of the story where an expert comes into play...

To undertake the realization of my plans, I put on my best bow tie and went down to visit the Candy Factory. A pleasant conversation ensued, and Neil (Candy-Man on here) penciled me in on his calendar. (Actually, that's not quite true. I harassed him with emails and stupid questions a year and a half ago. He was patient, asked me lots of questions, and made me realize that I had no idea what I was doing. :) Then I went MIA while I switched jobs and had no money. I also don't wear bow ties). But the going down to the Candy Factory part is true.

We started discussing back in December of last year for real this time, and made some rough plans. I hung out at his shop in January and we fleshed out some ideas, and got moving from there. Course, all my plans had to wait until Norwell's Deuce was either: a) completed; or b) put on hold.

Well, it's on hold right now, so mid-May, Neil gave me the go ahead to bring stuff down. I loaded up the wagon and trailer with pretty much everything that would fit, and on June 3rd, made a rainy trip East bound and down.

[​IMG]

(The trailer kinda looks like a ratrodded Batmobile to me)
    [​IMG]

I had some more parts to bring that wouldn't fit in the first load, so I made a second trip down last Saturday...

An aside - I've been very lax on my picture taking for the past little while, but let me tell you, Neil's shop is pure awesome! If the Belly Tanker, Deuce Coupe, blown Hemi drag car and Norwell's Deuce project aren't enough eye candy for you, the hundreds of items covering the walls will surely entertain. It's just a very cool place.

Now that the Candy-Man has all my junk littering his shop, he's being ordering parts like a mad man. Emails have been flying back and forth, and he's been pushing me to get my act together and make final decisions on things. (Sorry Neil!) The Yeakel inspired front end was a new decision of mine that forced a bunch of changes to other stuff we had hammered out. But I think we're on the same page now... I hope. :)

That's where we stand right now; me with my garage empty, Candy-Man with his shop utterly full. But I'm excited as all hell and looking forward to things getting under way. Updates and many more pictures will follow as things progress...

18. I'll just have to take all the lessons I'm learning and apply it to the next one. :D

I'm trying not too now. That's why I had to make a plan in the first place. Too many bloody cool ideas out there.

hahah. I try and keep those adventures "here, hold my beer...", out of the garage. It seems to cost less the next day that way :p

I don't really have an answer for that. Just wanted to stay with the 34 rails, as opposed to the 32.

I'm hoping that the concept transfers well into reality. I think it was a neat time period as well!

haha, Syracuse 2014? Sounds like a plan! :D

Thanks bud!

Pin striping is waaayyy down on the list Neil. I still have to decide on a final colour first :rolleyes:

Thanks Dave. I think it's going to be a good summer!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

AJ,.... You are embarking on one Excellent Adventure!
    Keep us posted..... of all the sweet things at the Candy Factory.

20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Sounds like a good plan AJ, Im looking forward to seeing this come together. Funny I kicked the tires with Neil too about building a frame for my Model A project (soory Neil) but a couple t-bird projects got in the way. But seeing what he can do, yours is definently in good hands. Keep us updated with the progress.

21. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

Goodluck with the build at the Candy Factory! Neil is an awesome guy with talent to match....one day I would love to have him build me something as well

22. Jeff, I'm very excited. haha An excellent adventure is exactly what it is. Neil's just waiting on material so the frame can get underway. Updates will follow.

Thanks Brent! Neil's good that way... being more than helpful without expectation.
    And it's understandable that your Thunderbirds got in the way of your A... You were behind me for a bit on the way down to the ELTA party last summer, and then I got to get a better look at the party. That car is beautiful!

He's definitely the man around here. Solid guy, amazing builder.

23. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

This rules! You'll be farther that I am soon!

24. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Yeah, but I'll still be jealous that you had the tools and experience to build yours all yourself. :)

By the way, I still want to be there when you start fiberglassing. I want to learn how to do that... or at least watch.

Quite simply, it wasn't mine.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kinda reminds me of that expression about needing to go two steps backwards in order to go three steps forward.

27. As long as I'm still making progress, I'm happy.

But you're right, I had a number of friends ask me why I bothered to buy a running truck, if I was just going to tear it apart... :confused:

28. A few more front end shots of the Yeakel Brothers roadster for front end inspiration. As I mentioned before, I want to bob the front horns, yet still use a towbar on occassion. I think the front end on this roadster is set up just perfect.

(First picture is a scan from HRM March 1956. Shows the simple tow bar hooked to the frame horns. Second picture is a scan from HRM Deluxe September 2010. Shows the tow bar still connected to the front, but unhitched from the tow car. The image looks bleached due to adjustments to the contrast.)

Attached Files:

29. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Get working on this sucker and get to posting an update!