Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Does the HAMB really need another shoebox build thread?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Big A, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Got the floor and interior painted with POR15 topcoat. Will have another coat on it tomorrow, then I'll spray the whole works with sound deadener. I like the way the new paint really shows off my shitty welds...

[​IMG]

DBF, I pretty much just lag-bolted 4x4s to the frame and attached the rotisserie to those. It was bolted at the firewall outriggers and across the taillights. I was worried about bending the sheet metal, but the body was well braced internally before I lifted it, nothing seems to have flexed during the operation.

2. yee haa shinney paint!

3. Hey...it's under the carpet, nobody is gonna see it(except the HAMB world NOW:eek:)!
    What type of sound deadener are you spraying?

4. that's a hell of a milestone, getting paint on the floors.

Let me know when it's interior time. I'm kinda liking this stuff. and Erin bought a sewing machine, gotta try that out.

5. I won't be doing anything quite as snazzy as yours TZ. The Aquamino is looking sweet.

I'm just using a generic rattle can rubberized undercoat stuff. I think it's called "inexpensive black shit".

6. EBW

EBW

Man, I love that stuff !!! Great work BTW !

7. That's funny right there!
    Do yourself a favor and get some Dynamat or less-expensive stick-on insulation-automotive-sound-deadening-shit too. It makes a HUGE difference.

8. bloomer puddin

bloomer puddin

Looking bad ass man!!

9. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Big A, 6" rolls of foil faced asphalt flashing from home depot or lowes, applied with a wallpaper seam roller before the shiny gets dusty is the low bux way to go. Did my P/U with it,quiet as a church inside.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget the seam sealer.

11. I painted the first coat of POR15 top coat last weekend and gave it a second coat on Friday night. Yesterday morning I sprayed a coat of the aforementioned cheap black rubber shit and... it aligatored on me...

[​IMG]

...but it is going to be covered with foil backed heat shield stuff, so I guess I'm not too worried about it, just a little peeved.

I pulled my doors off for final cleaning etc before installing them for good. Here's what I started with (this is my GOOD set :rolleyes: )...

[​IMG]

After a few hours of grinding, wire brushing, inhaling crap, then spraying primer on the outside and rubberized stuff inside, I'm thinking these actually ARE my good doors...

[​IMG]

Some rattlecan paint, they're looking nicer than they've looked in a long time...

[​IMG]

They're solid and the drain holes are clear. I need to get weatherstripping etc, but again a little progress is good progress. I wish the rest of the car looked this good.

12. Rock out with your sock out!

13. Oh yes, I do. :D

14. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Looking good man!

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,good work with the door!

16. "Alligatored" - I hate it when it does that!!

All that is looking great man. WOW. Keep on it and you'll be riding around in no time. Awesome dude.

17. hotdamn

hotdamn

lookin good brother!

18. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

Lookin good! Keep on thrashing!

19. mace69

mace69
    from mass

Looks good Big A.

20. Glad to see it going forward still Andrew, got my ride in the garage and started carving this past weekend too, race ya to the finish line,ha,ha...
    See you here in Percy Boom in September,right??????

21. pointer-1

pointer-1

Great work looks like you well on your way. Keep on truckin'

22. I'm truckin'. Making stuff black must a good sign right?

I picked up a pretty nice set of fenders at the Springfield swap last year before the HAMB Drags, and thanks to our good pal and Official HAMB Hauler™ BenD they found their way to Marcy, who brought them to the Hunnert Car Pileup last October when I grabbed them from her. Gotta love HAMBers.

The old gent selling them said he was going to restore the car but it was too far gone so he parted it out. Wish I woulda got to it before he parted it, if the rest of the car was as nice as these fenders it must've been a helluva lot nicer than my car. Some people have never really experienced rust I guess...

[​IMG]

Ooooh, blackness (needs another coat or two)...

[​IMG]

Keeping POR15 in business...

[​IMG]

Maybe one of these days I can start bolting things back on the damn car.

You might also have noticed I actually have doors hanging where doors are supposed to hang. They open and close and everything, hell they even pretty much line up at the belt-line etc. THAT was a pain in the ass. Luckily my good pal Larry came over and gave me a patient hand hanging them. Did I mention that was a pain in the ass? Doors are not fun, but that job seems to be done... I hope. Haven't tried hanging the fenders yet have I? Hopefully everything lines up.

23. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Nice shine to the firewall,It's all looking good,you may be up and down the driveway yet this year.

24. He better!

25. I'm hoping to get past the end of the driveway, but we'll see about that. Baby steps... :D

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Congrats for the fenders.My new ones doesnt have much rust issues,but few dents.I guess they are close same condition than yours.Getting those doors off are real pain in the ass,i think i need to fab better screw knocker with bigger socket at this weekend..
    Keep it up!

27. I thought the doors were a pain in the ass? Well, they were, but this made the doors look like fun...

[​IMG]

I actually got more done but was so pissed off by the end I didn't take any more pics.

How much is my car chopped? About this much...

[​IMG]

A bit of foreshadowing for next week's job.

28. about 2 months.....can ya do it?

29. Lookin' good man! Hang in there.....!!

30. I don't think I'll be laying money on it :rolleyes: