Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Side pipes",,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Killer32, Apr 25, 2012.

1. I was thinkin' he was pretty close to twice my age and I'm no spring chicken.

There was a joke about that during a certain police action. When someone says get down don't jump up and start dancing. :D

I think the key is to get them tucked in such a way as to ad to the lines of the car and not look like an after thought.

I don't particularly care for them when the headers look like sprint car headers. More often than not those just look awkward.

Last year the week before The Drags we built a set of headers with side pipes in mind for the Raven's '27. The tubes ended up being a bunch of snakes that lay in real close to the frame and the collector is just under the cowl. The deal with the ravens car is that the chassis is a boxed T chassis so there is room under the floor boards for the pipes to lay. Painted or ceramic coated black the will almost disappear.

I wish I had a pic to post, they are still running turnouts on the end of the collector but eventually they will be running pipes that run back and duck out in front of the rear wheels.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. 35 Woodie

35 Woodie

I cut a spare driveshaft from my '35 woodie in half, fastened a motorcycle exhaust baffle wrapped in stove rope up inside, and ran them just under the roadster doors. They make a nice mellow sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. no55mad

no55mad

Here is the 'sprint car look', as has been ha ha pointed out to me. It was built this way ~15 years ago and was NHRA legal and raced this way (sans tires and rear gears) so for now, it is going to continue to live as is. With 11.5 : 1 it is loud too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. Those side pipes are stock and have an outer shielding that are stone cold when the inner pipe is hot. Perhaps she got burned on a set of aftermarket pipes?

5. atomickustom

atomickustom

Probable. My cousin and his friend both owned vettes in the early 1980s with aftermarket side pipes mounted up. Loud as hell, and hard to step over.

6. DHVoorhees

DHVoorhees

I too like the look that you have now. I wouldn't put sidepipes on your ride. It is really nice as is. I say that even though I'm going to be using exhaust that exits in front of the rear wheels on my 48 Ford Pickup. Not side pipes but a slanted exhaust pipe closer to the front of the truck.

-Voorhees

7. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

My are short and dump just short of the door.Used a Speedway header kit that I built and added 8" turnouts with a short glass back muffler in between.

Attached Files:

8. Every one has there one ideas on side pipes I think they set the car off and give it class

9. If you clip anything on the ground you get a free crack pipe...

10. Dude...that ride in your avatar is the scary one !!!:eek:

11. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

zip zap scooby doo wee-flip flomp doo be doo waab-do'in the soft shoe shuffel . . .

12. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

Just had them installed yesterday,,I love the look and the sound.

Attached Files:

13. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

Attached Files:

14. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

another,,

Attached Files:

15. AG F/C

AG F/C

Not really "side pipes" but...
    Been running these for 1000+ miles and like them A lot. Un corked it is ruthless and fast.......er. Sounds bad ass at 6800. Not a burn anywhere.
    The bad side is that all of my friends have small children and the first reaction they have it to walk up and want to touch the headers.... :eek:
    Just got to be diligent while they are hot....

Attached Files:

16. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

Very nice looking headers,,,are you going to Pomona this weekend?

17. AG F/C

AG F/C

Will be at SoCal Open House and Waldens deal Friday but family gatherings prevent me from going to the roadster show... Might cruise through on foot early Saturday morning if I have time.

18. 1958 Echidna

Attached Files:

19. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

Sweet ride Hemi325!!

20. Maybe it isn't same with friends kids but in our house you got told once not to touch the exhaust on anything when I was a kid. Me being as dumb as anyone in the family touched the pipes on the Ol' Man's henderson 4. Once. After that the pits, rally or show you didn't find me touching that even resembled a pipe. Like I say maybe it is different with someone else's kids.

Funny how that works.

Nothin wrong with that car that a tub of carnuba wax won't fix. :D

Hey Caballo,
    My mom has a scar on one calf that she got when my Ol' Man layed the ol bike over and pipe layed against her leg. Fast forward 25 years and she wants to go for a ride on my hawg. I told her no shorts 'cause she was wearing shorts. "OK" she goes in her house and comes out in a pair of peddle pushers. I lay my hawg over, now she has a scar on both calves. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  21. stainlesssteelrat

stainlesssteelrat
    from ms

fuck side pipes man.. get some demo derby headers and let her roar at the sky!

22. It would be a good idea to check your local laws first. In Wisconsin they must exit outside the bodyline and past the rear edge of the door to be legal. Otherwise they could open up a big can of worms with the man.

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

What, too subtle??:D:D

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ha, ha. My first (and last) touch was the old mans Matchless 650CSR...

25. robber

robber

Here's mine on my roadster...

Attached Files:

26. chaddilac

chaddilac

Made mine from scratch and had em chromed.... have about $250 total in them with the chrome job!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

Demo derby headers????
    WHAT THE FUCK ARE THOSE??????

28. Killer32

Killer32
    from California

Now why couldn't live closer to Me??
    Damn,,I would have had you make me some killer looking headers like that and paid You whatever price!!

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Collecters pointing straight up through the hood...

30. gashog

gashog

Love the sidepipes for hiding the ugly frame rails on my A. The exhaust is plumbed for out the side as primary exhaust with the out the back Smitty's tapped in as secondary. It's actually a very streetable exhaust and I rarely bother to cork them.

Attached Files: