Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. C's Garage (Gary Cochran's Competition Dragster Restoration)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chuy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Great find Robert. Congrats and good luck.

However, i wish to know why you and your partner are itching to have the car finished before this year's reunion? It's obvious you have some very helpful and knowledgeable folks overseeing the build, even if it's through these pages, and i must admit i don't understand why you won't take some of their advice onboard.

2. One Finger John

One Finger John

Kinda sad, actually.

3. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

The body looks like it's back in great shape, nice work.

4. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

It's funny how some people, for lack of a better phrase "look down" on other restoration projects. These guys took a chassis and body that was sitting and rotting away, that no-one wanted and have sunk time, money and effort into it. The use of different fasteners and steering box seems minor in to overall project. How many guys under 50 are doing this with used up cars that will never run in anger again?

All "Re-pops"
    Ivo's Barnstormer, Beebe & Mulligan, Chizler V, Croshier-Baltes-Lovato, Cupit & Cunningham, Shudder Bug, Frantic 4, Gizzle Hopper, Tom Hanna (Never was), Hustler VI, Schrank Bros, Shumert & Herbert, Stellings & Hamphire red stamp car, Both of Riceman cars.

All works of art,but all recreations

How many "Cackle Cars" are re pops? A lot. In other words fakes. Anyone get on those builders for that?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  5. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

But...they are both great guys and are extremely helpful in what we are doing...and for that I am grateful. :)

6. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Gasser1961 you said what I wanted too and you have been very supportive from day 1 which is awesome and we really appreciate it.
    First off it seems that everyone is forgetting that the guys that owned these cars are not young pups any longer so with that being said we are trying to get the car done so Gary can get in it once more and as often as he wants to.

We were told by those that offer advice is "don't let the small things stop you from getting Gary back in the car". That's exactly what we are doing...getting Gary back in the car as soon as possible with what we have. We can make changes anytime we want to. Those that weren't there when he sat back in the car last October don't have a damn clue as to how excited he was to see it again after 47 years.

If I recall the HAMB is here to be supportive of Hot rods and their history so if you have advice keep it...I'm not looking for it. If you know me personally you can email me anything you want or call me but frankly speaking I'm a little fed up with those that can't understand why we are doing this. If this message confuses you take some time to read the thread and know we are basically doing this for Gary not for you ...not for me not for anyone, but him.

If I have offended anyone...I don't really care. this isn't a reproduction this is a car that is the real deal. Honor your history, That's what I'm doing. I'm tired of responding like a decent human being as I have been so be prepared for the honest truth if and when I get more crappy advice.

Thanks to all those that are supportive, you know who you are.

Robert and Steve

7. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Robert, my apologies if i may have offended you. I assure you that wasn't the case. It seems my message was lost in translation thanks to typed words instead of face to face conversation where each individual can understand one another through human emotion and not computerised contact.

I know the car is not a replica, hence my reason for curiosity behind some of your decisions regarding the build. However, you did answer my question but not the way i was hoping. Ah well, good luck. I look forward to seeing the smile on Mr. Cochran's face.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  8. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Well I appreciate the apology I just needed to get a point across... Sorry it had to be at your expense.
    I just need everyone to take the time to read the thread so this doesn't happen again thats all. Steve and I are doing this for him and only him. We are sacrificing a lot to get that smile back.
    No hard feelings Kurtis. I extend my apologies as well.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Sill Shiffley? Car is coming along great, nice work everyone. Another saved!!!:cool:

10. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

No apology needed.

Is it OK to post a pic of Mr. 'C'.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

hell yeah it's ok!!! I'll take any pics out there!

12. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

I've been peeking in on this build from time to time to see how it's coming along. I'm excited to see the progress on it and am so happy you guys are putting so much effort into this car. While I must admit, I am looking forward to seeing it done, I truly am more excited to see pictures of the smile on Mr. C's face while he's sitting behind the wheel. Good luck and continued success on the build. Helluva cool thing you guys are doing!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  13. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Very much appreciated! I can't wait till it's done so I can rest and spend some time with my girl. Lots of "church" nights at the shop working and figurin' on this thing.

14. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

This is a nice pic...

Attached Files:

15. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

I like your style Robert ,You know what they say, Poke a bear with a stick to many times , sooner or later your gonna get bit :eek:, Had a shitty day at work today this post made me smile , thanks Tim Jones

16. saychz316

saychz316

Nice. Im glad you had an opportunity to speak some of whats on your mind. From the get go you guys have been acting way better than men twice your age, who have been acting like children. You have some of the best of the best in the business in your corner. Many wish they have what you guys have.

Like so many have said, get the parts you can to get the car going, and go back and make the little changes later. Like stated earlier, with so many cars out there being 50-100% redo's, many have lost sight that the treasure you have is not what they have.

Glass houses come to mind here.

I for one, cant wait to see it at the reunion this year. I will be standing on the return road with my camera, waiting to catch the smile on Gary's face, when he gets his first push start in his car in over 40+ years. I will make sure to catch the smile on Marie's face as well.

Congrats on the progress boys.

Proud to call you friends. Don't let the stone throwers bring ya down. Never stop having fun. Seems people these days have forgot how to do that.

Por vida....

17. Algon

Algon

This appears to be the early version of the car, and unless I'm imagining it......I swear it says Gary Cochran on the cowl.

Being the car is quite far and away from this version I'd say a clone is in order.

Attached Files:

18. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

You are correct. This was his first car. He sold this one and went to Tex and bought the body we have and commission Ray Standoff of bellflower automotive to build the chassis. The best part is that I have a Cal Automive body with the turtle deck and the top portion and cowl to recreate this car if I wanted to. I think I know a guy that might have the Algon injection system...

19. perkshotrods

perkshotrods

Subscribed, thanks for the great read on a piece of history. It's amazing that you have been so successful finding so much original equipment. Can't wait for the next update .

20. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks for checking it out and taking the time to read the thread. The parts have been a little hard to come by but I can't thank the HAMB enough for allowing me to post this thread without being a member. If I wasn't able to do so, I never would have met those that have pointed me in the direction of all these parts I have acquired. It also would not have allowed me to post and sell parts and meet those that are also restoring cars of their own. I figured the best way to repay them is with membership. Again thanks for checking it out. I'll have some pics of the body this week. It should be pretty damn cool.
    Robert

21. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Original upholstery all cleaned up ready to wear. Most would use this as a pattern to make a new piece, not us.
    This seat should fit Gary like an old baseball glove does a ball player after he finds it again for the first time years.
    If it tears when gary sits in it...we won't give a shit. It's his car, it's his time machine that will take him back to when Saturday nights at Lions belonged to him and nobody else. Yeah there were thousands there but they could never overcome the roar of a fuel burning roadster smoking the tires and taking the win.....

Attached Files:

22. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Robert, Keep up the good work and thanks for taking the time to restore another part of history! Even though I've lived in the Midwest most of my life my wife was born in Lakewood and grew up in Bellflower and Downey in her early years. And with her Aunt in Bellflower, reading old Magazines over the years and talking to Don Hampton I've found it amazing how much drag race history is in that area!
    I'm sure Lions being just down the road a piece was a big factor but its very cool what has come from those sleepy suburbs over the years.

Again, thanks for your efforts!

23. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Straightaxle...that's what this is all about. Memories and history. Thanks for reading the thread and send the wife hugs for growing up out here. Most of all thanks for your support.
    Robert and Steve

24. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Back from powdercoat...all I can say is wow. We're afraid to even touch it...

Attached Files:

25. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

This too is done.

Attached Files:

26. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Chassis looks Great guys, how's the body comming along, Tim Jones

27. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

The body should be ready for paint this week. I'll get some pics of the artwork on it if it's getting done. Thanks Timmy. That chassis you have is looking pretty tits...I like tits. A LOT!

28. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

This is Cool! I love competition coupes/roadsters.

Just read through the thread and didn't see anything on it... is this going to be a cackle fest car or do you plan to make some passes in it?

... I'd drive that.

Good luck on the rest of build. It looks great so far, and thank you for saving this car.

29. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

It's just going to be a cackle car. We are shooting for the 2012 CHRR. Thankfully we've met a lot of good people that have helped us with this build with parts or whatever it has been. I can't thank them enough.
    I just recently purchased Alliance membership as a thank you for allowing us to post this thread and for being a great resource.

30. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Say hello to the smothers brothers of kick ass paint and body work. Steve Harris and Fred Seay. Notice they both have their paychecks in hand :) two if the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
    402BOSSMAN likes this.