Register now to get rid of these ads!

UGLY on Steriods - 1950s Custom on evilbay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chinarus, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slammed

slammed

Sandoz/CIA lab's were cranking out the 'hit's' in the '50's. Back to the car, paint it black, red wheel'z!

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It was in Car craft in the sixties. I'd drive it loud and proud even if it is ugly. Hell , Metalshapes thinks the Ala Kart is ugly (say what?!)

It rules.

3. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yep...

I knew it was not a popular opinion when I wrote it down.
    ( and it doesnt matter anyway, its just one guy's opinion...)

But yeah, I think it ugly.

It doesnt do a thing for me.

And despite all that, I'm glad its still around.

'cause that car has its place in history as well...

4. 73super

73super

I like it 'cuz it's unique. Would change out the wheels and paint it a different color. Other than that.. let's roll!

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I know more than enough about that history, the automotive designer I was referring to was the mainstream auto designer jobs for the major manufacturers.

A lot of the custom builders could not design for the car companies for obvious reasons.

And when you look at some of the designs that came from some of the manufacturers you can doubt the designers vision and ability in a few cases too. :D

6. ugly yes, would I be proud to own it YES, hell I like my old 48 dodge, and alot of people think its ugly......the things that I dislike about that old Kustom is the front and rear glass and the grille treatment, to me it just doesnt flow....I can even stomach the wire spokes......but think a set of chrome reverses would look better....

7. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

The ala Kart is like the liberace of hot rods... if liberace had a hemi. And I like me some liberace!

The "it rules" part was for the mark mist. But it can be for the kart too. Dont worry, we can still be friends.

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Hahaha...

Cool. :D

9. I think it is truly an ugly custom. Cars like that are one of the reasons guys like my dad moved on to musclecars, the dragstrip and performance.

10. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and some designs, even those considered almost universally beautiful, you will find someone who honestly doesn't like it. The OP was only commenting on its looks (an opinion that apparently the majority here share) not on the quality of the craftmanship, the engineering, the historical significance, the sincerity or talent of the builder, or the beauty of his other builds. All of which are undoubtably great.

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

There should be a HAMB entrance exam. Would solve a LOT of problems...;)

12. froghawk

froghawk

Yep, fucking serious. X-Sonic=Ugly. But that doesn't take away from the fact that it was important in custom car history for its early use of hydraulics. For that reason alone I'd like to see it restored in all its bubble-topped glory in spite of the fact that I think it looked better in it's early incarnation as just another semi-custom Corvette.

As for this car, while it may not be the most beautiful custom ever created, I remember it from my old magazines and am really glad to see it's survived so well and hope that whoever buys it continues to preserve it and can return it running condition.

Historic significance does not equal beauty or elegance. Craftsmanship does not equal taste or sense of design.

13. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

does it have history? yes

is it ugly? I guess thats personal opinion.

My personal opinion is that it is ugly. Why? because customs should improve on the stock design of a car, not a bunch of modifications for the hell of it or to show you can do something. Has this car improved on the design of a 36 ford? you would be crazy to say yes to that. Its ugly.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I find it to be hideous as well, significant, but UHHHGGAAAALLLEEEEE.
    Same with the X-sonic, not a fan. I'm glad a lot of them are still around though, they are relevant to the history of Customs. But damn some of them are pure yuck.
    A lot of the over the top, purely to get judged, stuff like that just doesn't do it for me.

15. You know Scott, I much prefer the earliest versions of the X Sonic vs. the final versions. I am a less-is-more kind of custom fan.

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I agree my favorite version of the xsonic was the middle version with the stock roof but wild body stuff..

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Whats funny is, I like the Ala-Kart, but I always thought that made ME kinda wierd...:D. Hey I liked the El Matador, so you KNOW I'm kinda wierd.
    IMO, this car is NO WHERE NEAR as ugly(I'll come clean, it IS a little fugly IMO) as some of the overchopped, out of proportion late fifties/early sixties stuff or butterdish mercs guys are blowing thier loads over on here on a daily basis. Theres an El Camino with mail-slot windows everybody was gushing over on here just a few days ago that springs to mind. IMO, thing looked like a f*cking aircraft carrier...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  18. what you said, Popeye in swimsuit! one-of-a-kind! but proportions sucks, not neceessary to built a second one.. sorry, but i think that's a bit ugly...

19. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Sure, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but........

Can I assume that we ALL agree that THIS is UGLY?

OK, carry on.....

[​IMG]

20. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

it's like the dog at the pound that is so ugly nobody would adopt it...but me.

21. agree, like the pet i never wanted!

22. I kind of like it in an appreciation of the era of over the top Customs kind of way. Maybe because I remember many like this from the 60's.
    And it's a hell of a lot better than a lot of the junk I see being built today on here and in many avatars!

23. Press release photos are the best

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Show cars built back then were built for the same reason as the million-dollar show cars being built today: to win awards. Aesthetics often suffered, and still do.

25. nah....it's ugly

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Growing up in the 50's, in Southern California, I had the opportunity to see plenty of customs. I would have to say that maybe one out of 50 was asthetically pleasing to the eye. I always thought Barris built cars that were a bit too much. I never did care for the Ala Kart but the work that Sam Barris did was nice. The main point here is the car is a part of the culture and history of this hobby we love. I see some pretty obnoxious cars being built today and they will probably still be ugly in the future. Back in the day Tattoos were only found on Sailors, Bikers and easy women. And I am sure many of you went through the 60's with some of the outragous clothes we wore. So in the end we should give the car its due and respect the fact that it is a part of history that brought us to where we are today.

27. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

Can't wait to see what the newer guys say about the "ultra modern merc" when I get it finished.

28. Mark Mist? The name says it all! I think somebody needs to photoshop it with a stock windshield and see how that effects the look. Any takers?{ I have no skills with photo shop or I would do it.}

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Gotta admit, THATS funny.

30. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

i wish i never looked at this thread!!! my eyes have seen things today that a man should never see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.