Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It was also entered in the 3 western states champ races in 52 and was a DNQ at all 3. Don't have any pics of the car with the Stude in it but this is the car, from 53, with a Offy.

Attached Files:

• ag.jpg
      ag.jpg
      File size:
      66 KB
      Views:
  2. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

For Josh Shaw and Stan Lobitz,
    Here are the rack and pinion Rileys which were very innovative in feeding the fuel in at the bottom and not allowing aeration but still controlling the float level with a needle and seat.
    As the throttle opened ,the mechanic had the option of altering the cam position which drove the rack and pinion which has the float fulcrum attatched to it thus either maintaining or raising the float level as they saw the demand might be.
    The cam is marked with 4 positions allowing of a range of about 1/4"
    there are idle and intermediate adjustments via air bleed screws (these might be fuel bleed screws, I havent investigated further)
    The idle jet cover underneath is stamped 14X62 and the intermediate cover is stamped 32X62
    The carbs are numbered SR5 and SR6 ,so presumably pretty early and I have put a comparison shot in of a standard small one ,number 235 to give you an idea.
    These are all 1 1/2" carbs so the two inch ,with the rack and pinion option must be huge to say the least.
    I will PM about jets
    Cheers Greg

Attached Files:

3. easter

easter

4. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Bob, that narrative describes Tampa perfectly. I was born there, raised there, and the first sprint race for me was in '57. I'm sure we crossed paths at one point or another... my dad was always in the pits and that's where I watched a lot of he races. Dad was friends with Homer Claytor, Pete Folse, and Buzz Barton. Joie Chitwood, who had a chevy dealership in Brooksville, would usually give dad free tickets to his thrill show which included admission to the races. Oh how I wish I had a way back machine I'd sure like to relive those memories in person! :)

5. easter

easter

Joie Chitwood and those white Chevys! Was there anything better? Just like the IMCA guys they traveled with, they were fantastic to us kids. It was like hanging out with Roy Rogers. I'd run straight to the Chitwood haulers to watch them unload those cars from the "new car" hauler. The tunnel, the ramps, and that damn clown! Man, he made me nervous standing on the track like that with those cars brushing by him at speed! Thanks for the comments!

6. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

The Johnston-Carbone-Wendt Watson roadster, Bonneville car, sitting on its tow tires, as it leaves the mac miller shop for its new home in south Fla.

Can't wait to hear that 270 from Zakira's!!!

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

8. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

If you come, be sure and stop by to say hello.
    BVS 1927 Miller Tribute Car #15 Garage #1

Vintage Racing at California Speedway Oval and Road Course on June 22, 23, 24.

Historic Champ/Indy Cars Celebrated Their Great Indianapolis Speedway History A
    Few Weeks Back During The Indy 500 Festivities And Will Be Celebrating Their
    Great Southern California History June 22-24, On The Auto Club Two-Mile Oval
    Twice Each Day With The Victory Lane Historic Champ/Indy Car Showcase During The
    Big Historic Oval And Road Racing Festival Organized By HCICA And HSR-West.

Over 25 Historic Champ/Indy Car Association Cars will join more than 200
    Historic Sportscar Racing West Cars for the Southern California Racing Festival.
    The road racing cars will run in 12 groups twice daily during the 3-day event on
    the 3-mile Grand Am road racing circuit, which uses the main oval front straight
    and infield area.
    Many great oval car names are expected to run on this Auto Club oval, including
    Watson, Eagle, Kurtis, Miller, Lola, March, National and Novi.
    Great road racing cars to appear include Corvette, Jaguar, MG, Healey, Lotus,
    Lola, Chevron, Porsche, Mercedes, Triumph, McLaren, March, McKee, Genie, Elva
    and many more. The event also includes Historic Stock Cars, Production Sports
    Cars, Sports Racing Cars and Formula Cars.
    Historic Champ/Indy Car entrants call Pam Shatraw, HCICA, 650-321-1411 (CA).
    Road racing entrants call Ed Swart, HSR-West, 310-750-6933 (CA).

Here's the most up to date sched for the historic indycars on the oval, call Ed
    Swart for the roadcourse schedule.

Thursday June 21 12PM gates open for trailer parking Garage 1 spaces 61-74.

Friday June 22
    8-5PM HSRW registration Garage 2
    HCICA safety Inspection
    10AM Drivers Meeting HCICA
    12:05 HCICA on track
    4:30 HCICA on track

Saturday June 23
    10AM Drivers Meeting HCICA
    11:35 HCICA on track
    1:00 Lunch for HCICA entrants and guests
    4:30 HCICA on track

Sunday June 24
    8:30 HCICA on track
    12:15 HCICA on track

Best Regards
    Carl Schulz
    Indio, CA

9. deucemac

deucemac

If you read the Art Christman biography, he goes into detail about eh engine failure on the car. It appears to be a result of an explosion in the oil heater that Clint Brawner did not look into far enough. Christman was with Tony Capanna on the project and it was the oil system failure that put Christie in the wall and out of the race. The car had turned laps that would have put it in the race prior to the accident. The book I refer to is "The Christman Legacy" self published by Ed Justice Jr. a great book of very limited production, so if you want one (and everybody should) cantact Ed soon.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks, that makes sense. In a Bob Russo Speed Age report, he states: "Christie went into a slide after something locked up and he hit the inside fence on the back straight"

11. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Greg,
    Thank you.

12. baldtireman

baldtireman

Balckie: regarding your by-line" Time flies......." You work qualifies you as an artist... Do you draw flies in the summer???:D

13. baldtireman

baldtireman

14. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

If it was "an explosion in the oil heater" that (either directly or indirectly) caused the engine to lock up I wonder just how that worked. In those days the standard racing oil was 50W and the general practice called for heating the oil in the oil tank with what amounted to a jumbosized soldering iron to warm and thin the oil before startup. This preheating might take at least 30 minutes and also served to help evaporate any excess methanol that might have gotten into the oil when the car was last run. In this case was methanol/nitro somehow getting past the rings and into the oiling system? Did the mentioned explosion take place while the car was sitting in the garages while the oil was being heated and Brawner just said not to worry about it? There must be a heck of a story here somewhere.

BTW, a old friend of mine named Bob Owen was working for Brawner at Indy in 1955 and he ended up being the designated chief mechanic on the Dodge dirt car. It seems that while Brawner was busy with the roadster AAA required a chief mechanic to be with the other car anytime it was taken out of the garages and Bob got the call. Bob passed away years ago and today I wish I'd ask him more about his involvement on this and several other race cars at Indianapolis.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  15. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Amen to that!

16. KK500

KK500

Tampa, on the "crushed sea-shells" track surface.............
    and rash on the nose...........still on the car 45 years later.

Attached Files:

17. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Add Bobby Unser in the 1972 Eagle Offy

1972 Eagle-Offenhauser
    Celebrating the 40th anniversary of one of the most important cars in the “Indy 500” history

To commemorate the 40th anniversary of the remarkable 1972 AAR-Eagle, one of the most significant Indy cars in the history of the famous race, 3-time Indy-500 winner Bobby Unser will get back in the cockpit of his favorite racing car and enjoy leisurely laps of the 2-mile Auto Club Speedway racing track in Fontana, California during the HSR-Victory Lane vintage Indy car event June 22, 23 and 24, 2012.
    The new Eagle built by Dan Gurney and his crew in his All American Racers facilities in Santa Ana proved to be the class of the 1972 Indianapolis 500 field by qualifying on the pole at an astounding 195 MPH, a full 17 MPH faster than the fastest lap in the preceding year. This in itself has set a record that remains unbeaten today.

The new car had been designed by a team composed of Dan Gurney, Roman Slobodynskyj , Phil Remington and crew-chief Wayne Leary, and was available for purchase by other racing teams.
    A few days after the works car was completed, driver Bobby Unser set new records at Ontario Motor Speedway, covering laps at over 191 MPH.
    At the Phoenix 200, the first race of the season, Bobby took no prisoners as he qualified on the pole and won the race running away. At Indy, Bobby easily led the race until the distributor rotor broke, the car coasting to a halt when nearly a full lap ahead of the field. Bobby

Years later, a deal was struck between Dan Gurney and collector-racer Philippe de Lespinay in an effort to recreate both the 1972 cars of Unser and Grant, using leftover parts from both cars bolted to two NOS unused tubs.

After years of research for the missing correct parts and many seemingly insurmountable obstacles, the cars were eventually completed by the talented and immensely experienced John Mueller in the Entrepreneur Enterprises race shop in Fresno, California. Chassis 72-30 was delivered to Dan Gurney in 2010.
    Chassis 72-29 is the car retained by de Lespinay. Tracing the engine numbers (crankcase and cylinder block/head assembly) from old records he saved from the bin, it was discovered that the engine was the very one used by Bobby Unser to win the 1974 California 500. That engine was rebuilt by Stewart Van Dyne of Van Dyne Engineering in Huntington Beach, California.

The car is decorated as the # 6 Olsonite-Eagle, exactly as it was at the 1972 Indy 500, the paint scheme having been devised by Philippe 40 years earlier. The car is on display at the Riverside International Automotive Museum, along with a remarkable collection of Eagle racing cars collected by museum owner Douglas Magnon over the years, and is maintained by Bill Losee and his crew.

Along with the 1972 Indy car, at least two more AAR-Eagle racing cars from the Riverside International Automotive Museum will be exercised by Douglas Magnon and Tony Adamowicz: the 1969 Eagle-Ford driven at Indianapolis by Denny Hulme and the 1970 SCCA F5000 championship-winning Eagle-Chevrolet.
    A web page is available for more information and pictures at
    http://www.tsrfcars.com/toys-full_size_eagle.htm

18. The steering is all welded in and works.....this job has seemed to drag on for ages.....but its done,and I can move on.The computer 'thing' is getting closer,but there is still plenty to keep me busy.There is a guy about 30 miles from me and he has just supplied all the AN fittings and line that I need to plumb the car,and he also helped with a problem with my remote oil filter.This will be the next job.

Baldtireman.....I hate flies...I like buttons....

Attached Files:

19. baldtireman

baldtireman

Coming along quite nicely,sir.!;)

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

1948 and SoCal Mercury dealer Bob Estes figures a Mecury powered Indy car would be a fine thing. Somewhat naievely he drops a typical hot rod flattie in a Connie "sealdbeam" Weidel chassis and tows to Indy and puts Manny Ayulo in the seat. Pretty much a slug they didn't come close to qualifying. He skips 1949 but returns in 1950 with a pair of Ardun heads bolted on. Though they came close and even with Clark Gables help :rolleyes: they miss the show. Come 1951 and he's back but now he has Watson's former 'pots-n-pans' Offy with both Watson and Jud Phillips wrenching. Although they do qualify (33rd) the're the first to drop out. Now here's where it gets interesing. Seems he brings along the old Weidel car too but... get this... it now has a DOHC setup on it. They have problems with it and was a DNQ. I guess those of us who thought the Ford "cammer" didn't first show up at Indy until the early 60s were wrong. :)

Attached Files:

21. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Thanks Rootie

22. sramoa

sramoa

23. easter

easter

Happy Father's Day everybody and to all of our fathers that have passed. Any of you young guys out there who aren't fathers yet and aren't sure how, just call me and I'll walk you through it on the phone.

24. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Let's see: Estes, Ayulo, Watson, Phillips - hot rodders (CA) running Indy. Penske, Ganassi, Castranevous, Franchitti, ??? Wow, how much things have changed. But then, Ray Harroun was probably saying the same thing about those hot rodders.

25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Indy in the 1950s pretty much became the personal playground for those from Cal. or Az.

26. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

EMMR at Port Royal 6-9-12, enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Glenn, FWIW- I came across this shot and it appears at some point the beer wagon did indeed have low mounted T-bars. Of course the cage is all different but I suppose that could have been changed at some point also. No idea of the time line of any of this or if there was more than one beer wagon, just thought it might be of some interest.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      244.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      293.7 KB
      Views:
  28. gninc

gninc

Thanks Rootie, I think that 56 car is the one that Sheldon Kinser drove and it does look very much the same, I will try to look into it further. Thanks
    Glenn

29. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Yes, the 56 car was owned by ??? Hammond, a NY beer distributor thus the name "beer wagon". Sponsored by Genassi? Beer. That is Sheldon in the photo. Car was wrenched by Galen Fox and I believe built by Grant King. Great pavement car.

30. Blackjack Racing

Blackjack Racing
    from New York

That would be Genesee beer or as we like to call it, Genny

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012