Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long bed vs. short bed, '57 Chevy truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Jun 6, 2012.

1. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I can live with a longbed but not a big window.

Looks like a human display case from behind. Just missing a "Do Not Feed" sign.

2. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Long bed...
    In my opinion a pickups shouldn't be pretty or small. They should look rough and tough because that was what they were meant for. I can really appreciate a nice short custom but I didn't settle for my long bed. I searched for a few years before I decided on my long bed\step-side. Honestly no one can really appreciate what I have where I live. Everyone thinks it is ugly, smelly and loud... An old truck with no interior and faded paint? none of them would be caught dead in it :D . What I am getting at is go for what you like not what everyone else likes. At the end of the day you'll be working on it, spending money and enjoying it.
    Mine is 8 foot...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  3. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Gail - I'm in CT near the NY line. I'm familiar with the "why are you driving an old truck with faded paint?" mentality.

If you have to ask the question, you don't get it...

4. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You like the looks of the longbed better, you're planning on keeping, not flipping, answer should be obvious.

5. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Barsteel it is true! There are so many people who just don't get it.
    Try to tell people you don't want to paint it when you're done and you get the sideways eyes.

6. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

If I were shopping for one, I would pick the one in the best condition for the money. Short or long would be down a bit on my list of criteria. If you have the skills, it's not a huge job to shorten one and I would personally rather snip a long one than fix a bunch of rust and such.

7. bradshaw

bradshaw
    from ontario

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

10. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

I built this long bed back in 1982. Would I have preferred a short bed? Yep but I picked this one up cheap and went through it. Didn't bother me at all being long bed. It was my DD for about 5 years.

Attached Files:

11. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

12. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

I would!

13. farmboyhotrodder

farmboyhotrodder
    from PA

Amen! Practical, that's why!

14. Everyone wants a short bed till they get to the hardware store.....

15. Buzznut

Buzznut

The irony here is that most people I talk to want the big back window. I have 3 of them and gave away the small back window cab I had about 10 years ago.

Personally I like the big window, but it can get damn hot in there when the sun is at your back. The one I'm building now will have tint added for multiple reasons...

16. Short bed step side the way to go. I have a 55 short step side. Cool looking ride. I have more then one truck to get lumber.

17. 2-TONED

2-TONED

Short box, BIG window!
    what happens if you run across a cameo box 'real cheap?! youve got yourself a cameo!

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

True statement...I've been there.

19. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Well, shortly after reading this post, I stumbled onto a '57 3100 shortbed online. Even has the indent in the driver's fender for the spare. Took me about 3 minutes to make the decision. Should be in my garage in the next week or two.

Still has the original drive train, but we'll get around to fixing that in the future :).

Chris

20. squirrel

squirrel

sounds good! post pics when you are ready...we like picking apart other people's good buys :)

21. Basrteel, congrats on the find- I'd love to find a fender with the spare indent!!!

Anyone know the fastest/cleanest way to get a complete dash out? Mine is cobbled in the radio area and the local salvage has a nice one.

22. henry29

henry29

Is it black?

23. squirrel

squirrel

I don't think there's an easy way to do it, if you want the complete dash piece. If you want to cut out part if it, then just find the easiest place to weld it back together, and bring a battery powered sawzall

24. every long bed ever made needs to be melted down. looks like shit on any truck any year.

25. Buzznut

Buzznut

I wouldn't be too hasty, there are tech articles out there on how to shorten a long bed. Considering the cost of buying all those panels from scratch, I'd consider the possibility of shortening a long bed if I was faced with not being able to find a short bed.

26. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Yes it is. It was the one on Ebay a few days ago.

I doubt that anyone here will think that I got a steal based on what was said earlier about what these trucks go for, but at the end of the day, it was EXACTLY what I wanted, and it was in far better shape than anything I saw for sale even semi-locally.

Could I have waited longer (probably much) to find a pristine original V8 truck, yeah, but at the end of the day I made the call to pull the trigger on this one. We'll see how I feel when the truck arrives...

Chris

27. henry29

henry29

Looks like a very nice truck I think it's well worth what you gave for it.

28. squirrel

squirrel

Looks decent, hope you like it when you get it home.

It's been a long time since I drove one with three on the tree...

29. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

Exactly!! Im for long beds all the way!! I cant haul crap in my stepside ford. :mad: