Register now to get rid of these ads!

Impala gasser - Too rough to build??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by impalamike, Jun 10, 2012.

1. dadsdreamcar

dadsdreamcar

it would be one sweet ride for sure. making all the blood sweat and tears worth it!

2. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

While that 409 you have needs a home. that car is not worth much without the drivetrain. Just building a cowl and firewall looks like a hell of a job. What's supporting the windshield now? The straight axle looks kind of cobbled, too and might be best to just start over with a Speedway axle. Then you might as well start with a better car.

Blue

3. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

It looks to have a nine inch under there??? Anyone else agree or disagree?
    J

4. impalamike

impalamike
    from Texas

The guy wants $1,400. He said its a Chevy rear end. He doesn't know if its posi.

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Its all about whether you can realistically take it on. If the frame and suspension components are solid and body doesn't need too much work other than the floors the asking price doesn't seem to be unreal. The fact that you already have a 409 is good since it will be a bolt in, 4 speeds aren't hard to find and it already has the right clutch linkage setup. Hell I'm a Ford guy but I'd buy it. I'd catch some shit but I'd buy it anyway. Them old W motors are cool, way cooler than a cookie cutter sbc.

6. Dyce

Dyce

Any trim or interior parts go with it? I'd run away fast for $1400.00!! Looks like some piss poor bodywork was done in the rear, no floor, no firewall, stock rear axle, dash is stripped. I'd find a better car to start with unless you have a bunch of parts. If you put it on the street you will want windows to roll up and down. The hardtop body really dosn't fit the gasser style in my opinion....

7. swazzie

swazzie

It is.

8. trksmth

trksmth

I was watching it for the engine, the rest I would of passed on. After the auction end, I wanted to see how much they would sell the engine for, But after looking close at the pics, I had to pass on it. Does anybody know what the engine sell for? Mike

9. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

The motor is what makes it in my opinion and that would be sketchy. It looks like it came out of the ocean. Without the motor, it's basically just another roached out old drag car that appears to have been in a field for the last 40 years. That tube axle looks pretty pitted and I suspect you would end up replacing it. I have a feeling that all the components of this car that make it appealing would need to be replaced.

At $1400, it's my thoughts that you could hold out for another car that is more complete and with a better body. Put an axle under that and drop in your motor and you just saved yourself a ton of grief and wound up with the same thing that likely will have better craftmanship.

Cars like this are really good inspiration.

It's savable. But if somebody were to save it, it's a shame that the motor was separated from it, because I feel that was the essence of this car.

10. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

I'm curious myself Mike

It's an awesome engine, but as for value... what can even be saved from it? You know the pistons probably aren't any good. The cylinders will be rusted and being a race motor it may already be punched out as far as you can go. The mag needs help. The headers are rusty. The carbs are basically cores. The heads will need everything. You can count on the value of the intake, valve covers, timing cover, and other odds and ends.

I've seen some f***ed up rods, pistons, and cranks come out of "built" old race motors.

11. How come in one pic the headers dump outside the body and others they dump under?

As far as the car goes there is no trim or parts that looks salvagable ... gasser would be the best route if it is to stay away from the crusher. ... The windshield is probably the highest value if it is not cracked or chipped. What rearend does it have ? .... posi?

12. trksmth

trksmth

X2

If you go ahead and buy it, PM me on the front wheels $$$. Mike

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

That rear end treatment just isnt something you would normally see on a race car. Looks Alexander Brothersish to me, i would really like to know what it looked like before "racecar" became the thought.

14. trksmth

trksmth

The engine, tranny and bell housing would of been cool to set in the corner. You know how someone always said that it is gold, so they would want to much for it. That's why I didn't call, but now I'll be mad if it went cheap!

15. your kidding right? to tough?

my car was a lot worse than that.BUT if its not coming with the motor....i personaly dont like impalas so for me it would be a big NO even tho its completely do-able to bring that back to life.

16. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I believe I would keep shopping. If you want something to actually run on the strip as well as the street, I would look for something other than an X frame. The Chevy gasser guys stuck with the earlier cars for good reason.

17. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

For me... In my teens and twenties I would dig in!

At age 48, I'd pass and move on!

18. Go for it if you can get it rite,...I just saw that car for sale on a sign at a local show/swap; I thot it was very cool and different. Even tho it was never completed it already has a history, so to speak. Someone needs to save that car and finished, should be a HAMBer. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  19. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Yes with the drivetrain.....
    No without!

20. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

21. scrappin bottom

scrappin bottom
    from Austin

22. nutajunka

nutajunka

I agree with the age thing. If your young and can't sit still, maybe it's right up your alley. I think it could be built into a custom/gasser which would be cool, but alot of work and of course money. Cloudy with a chance of rain, with a few rays of sunshine....:cool:

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

There's a fair amount of that front axle that will need to be changed or redone. The springs are pretty flat, and wont take much to bottom out. The spindles will need changed to convert to disc or drum brakes.
    I'd quickly give the $1400 if the engine went with it, but without the engine I wouldn't go more than maybe $750. As with others, it's too much work at my 60+ age.

24. ratt7

ratt7

I'd go for it, alot of the panels can be replaced anyways.

25. burt21

burt21

I would say go for it if money ,time and work is'nt a factor to you!

26. I think I would put a grill in there the tail lights go and mount the tail lights behind it then mimic it when I built the front grill for it. Lots of '60s race cars were just show cars with grunt.

I would tackle it especially if I had a torque mill like a 409 to go in it. I have no idea of value, I know what I would want to give for it but that has nothing to do with what it is worth I am afraid.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  27. I don't think the car ever raced down a track.

Looks like it was a nice custom... may have been featured in a magazine... and then some kids got a hold of it and tried to make a "gasser" out of it... probably in the 70's when they would have been behind the curve on the whole thing.

When you are building cars... $500 one way or another doesn't mean shit. Actually, $1000 one way or another doesn't mean shit.

It boils down to... do you REALLY like the car?

Do you REALLY want to sink money into it?

Do you REALLY want to spend the time on it?

Is it REALLY going to be worth it?

A lot of guys are talented... and just look at something like that as a lot of time.

Others look at it as a lot of money to spend... (because they have to farm out work, or will only settle for NEW parts)

If you can push the think into the back yard... hunt swap meets and wrecking yards for parts... and low buck it... I think it would be a fun project.

If you're going to send it off to the media blaster, then to the metal guy, then the body guy, get on the net and buy a bunch of NEW parts, and want the thing built in a year... I think the cost doesn't outweigh the benefit of owning it.

Sam

28. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Look like it has a piece of tree wedged behind the motor, to stop the whole heap collapsing in a pile of rust and twisted metal.

29. metalshapes

metalshapes

Looks like that car was about to get an aluminum floor and firewall.

And that is still a good option.

After you put a full cage in it to get some strength back into it.