Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 F100 Build (First Truck!)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ratzkid, Jul 8, 2011.

1. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

x2.

2. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

OK, So I got out there today for a little while and did quite a bit! I dragged the old y block and realized this probably isn't going to be a daily driver. so i decided to get it out and OMG! :eek: it was dirtyyyy! :D which wasn't a good combo for me today lol i came inside looking like the motor b4 i cleaned it :rolleyes: haha anyways i took it all apart and got everything layed out.. (organized chaos) turns out it has two stuck cylinders and one really nasty one lol

[​IMG]

Parts
    [​IMG]

(Left).. the 3rd one back had water in it. but they all have WD-40 in them now
    [​IMG]

(Right) the one to the left had water and the 2nd one on your right is the nasty one
    [​IMG]

Intake Manifold.. Valve Covers ect.
    [​IMG]

Rocker Arms
    [​IMG]

ok so i was cleaning and look what i found!!!!!
    [​IMG]

also do you guys know where i can find paint for this motor. and what the color is?

THANKS!

Jake-

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks like that motor needs a complete overhaul. Might want to reconsider the FE motor.
    As for the color, I believe they came from the factory a hot pink...or not. :rolleyes: Mine was a medium blue but I don't know if it was a factory color.

4. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Yea it kind of does :mad: but it would be so cool to do it original. cuz i have ALL the parts. ill probably end up buying another truck in the near future. :rolleyes:something a little bit newer lol like a 76 lol the colors were yellow and silver, (yellow block and silver valve covers) same colors that was on the 56 f100 cuz it is so early of a truck. i just dont know what colors they are. even if i don't end up putting it in it would be nice to have it done so if i end up with another one of these trucks i could just put it in and hook it up because it will be all ready

5. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

heres pics of 57 merc-57 ford

Attached Files:

6. r0yal

r0yal
    from winnipeg

Love your merc, I always gaze when you pass by. I have a 58, myself. (tucked away in the garage, while I get other things out of the way first haha)

Would you know of anywhere local(ish) where I could find a 58 grill, by chance? mine has a hacked up 59 on it right now.

7. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

i have a 60 grille if your interested

8. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

Alright Guys, We need to get on him back on track he is slacking off on this project. Give him hell !! Lets get him back on this truck. How are all your projects coming? lets see some of your progress also.

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Dad has spoken! Get back to work young man, we wanna see progress! lol
    As for my '51 F1 project, family matters required that I sell it in November. Too bad too, all it needed was shocks, seat belts and an emergency brake cable and it would have been ready for inspection. Kinda sucks but family had to come first. Hopefully I'll find another old F1 or F100 in the future. Them trucks kinda get under your skin ya know? Oh yeah, y'all have several so you know! :D

10. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Hey you guys, i know... totally have slacked off on the poor truck :eek: i havent done to much to it sence winter hit. so there isnt much to say about as of now... kinna sad huh? anyways ill get out there soon and get some pics up!

11. Yeah, get back to work kid! ;)

12. gilles d

gilles d
    from winnipeg

every hour you work on it today is an hour less tomorow,but school work is more important for now. my 57 merc took me 6 years to finish so dont get discouraged youl get it done.

Attached Files:

13. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Alright back to work homie. We are all waiting. I started my 55 at 15 and wish I still had that focus (and spare time). Stoked to see progress.

BTW, Carbs & Chrome, I still have that '54 rearend if you want it.

14. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Ok so IM BACK!!! finally! a combination between winter, End of the year testing, Collage credit classes, and trying to manage a personal life here, made me kind of abuse my truck, but all of it is over now so i am working on it.

when t on a local classified listing and found a 1960 F250. looks VERY nice and clean. someone put a 460 in it and cut up the from crossmember, other whose very nice, and pretty original!!

i plan on picking it up for $450. I'm going to go pick it up today, so i wil post pictures ASAP!

Good too be back! sorry for not being on!!!! :(

-Jake

15. n847

n847

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528261

Heres another good Ford truck build by a young buck like yourself!

Get back at that thing! In my buddies 54 Ford car the Y block was a cream white color with orange vavle covers from the factory. But it was the smaller Y block and it was in a car not a truck.

I wouldn't get rid of the Y block but I'd probably run the FE for now till you can go full on build on the Y block.

You should also check out this build...Serious land speed Ford truck with a serious Y block!
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573420

16. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

I think I'm going to run the FE and I talked to this "old timer" a week ago Or so about the 272 he siad it was because my truch was so early they painted the motor yellow and green like they did in 56 to use all the old paint! Haha and the 250 will be here today, I'm typing this on my phone xD I shall post pictyres as soon as I get home! The truck is extreemely nice. To bad it is a 250!

17. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Here it is! :)

it was originally turquoise and white. nearly all original, custom cab W/radio.. the whole shabang! :) it kinna sucks that its a F250!!! its a nice truck!:mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Parts...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i thought this was really cool! :D

[​IMG]

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

$450? Man thats a deal! Does it have C6 behind the 460?

19. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Sure was!! :) and it sure does!

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Wow, if a deal like that showed up over here there'd be people fighting over it, F250 or not. Hell I'd dig into the cookie jar and be one of 'em. lol

21. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

it was a Steal of a deal! and I'm not complaining! (; it would just be nice haha :)

22. a4t1rat

a4t1rat
    from Utah

OK then lets see some progress :D. There is lots of good parts on that truck its pretty nice.

23. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

Okay, so i got out there today again and got the inner fenders and radiator support on... kind of. lol

[​IMG]

i also set some fenders up with the grille and valence.. i can't decide if i am going to make a 60 or a 57-60 mutt LOL

they are nearly falling off haha they sat on there long enough to take a picture XD

[​IMG]

57/60 Mutt
    [​IMG]

what one do you guys like better?

24. n847

n847

Looks like 450 well spent!

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Tell 'im Dad! Just for the heck of it I ran the numbers on the VIN tag, it originally had a 292 and was built in San Jose. Those west coast trucks can bring some good numbers back east due to lack of salt on the roads, (or in the air as in our case). All the more a good deal. wow!

26. fiftee6effie

fiftee6effie

Cool truck, I owned a 58 and 59 at various times in the past.Looks fairly rust free (other than surface rust) which is a good start. I'd go with the 57 grille, they look great and that's the year it is anyway. It shouldn't be hard to find a grille. All the best on your project!!

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

cool build man. keep at it. buildin an apache myself

28. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

I thought it was a good deal! haha :D I'm way excited about putting the parts on my truck :)

i Love this truck :D and i WANT to do a 57 but i can't for the life of me find a 57 hood and grille

thanks!

29. ratzkid

ratzkid
    from Payson, UT

So i was browsing the internet and i found this truck in google images..... i think converted to do it inca gold because this truck looks hottt! :D

[​IMG]

i also found this and thought it was cool (;

[​IMG]

i haven't worked on my truck a whole ton.. i did get a 60 hood on. I've been trying to clean "THE SHOP" XD OMFG!!! a messes!!!!

my dad took the 460 that came with the F250 and it is good (; haha he decided to put it in the 59' with the C6 haha! what a combo! XD

also, going through my dads VAST UNKNOWN PARTS COLLECTION XD i found this. a factory OEM Ford emblem for a early 50s thick... i think!

[​IMG]

30. BEAR

BEAR

i had a 60 f100 i traded it off in 2010 for my 56 olds i had my brother airbrush the dash the fender wells the firewall i painted it and pinstriped it and traded it but well i had it it was one fun ass truck

here is a pic or two

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's a photo shop pic of it dropped

[​IMG]

here is the air brushing on the fire wall and fender wells

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is what i traded for