Register now to get rid of these ads!

1933 Plymouth PD Coupe Craigslist Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jen......, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Jen......

Jen......

Found this on craigslist and insanity set in and next thing you know its in my driveway looking at me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jim Sibley would have that fixed and driving in like 3 hours........

Nice find, I really like the lines on those Plymouth coupes!

3. Jen......

Jen......

giggles wish Jim was here

and the cowl was that way when i purchased it . somehow they had cut the windshield posts before it became damaged.

Jen

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should keep you busy and out of the bars for a while. The good thing is that sheet metal for that should be somewhat easy to find.

I'd bet that some strategically placed wood blocks and a bottle jack would get that cowl back to close to being in shape fairly simply.

5. Jen......

Jen......

any suggestions for doing this is greatly appreciated as to me it would look alot happier having that area fixed . the dash has been cut out in the center where the gauges was so it should move without to much trouble i think . at least the glove box door is there as the other side also.

really like to find some doors for this car and a windshield frame .

Jen

6. Very cool for multiple reasons.

A couple of which are: it looks like it's really solid....like there's still paint on it and the 33 Plymouth coupes look like they're already chopped from the factory.

When I was a teenager in south Texas, my brother and I rode dirt bikes practically every day. The route that we took from our house in Rio Hondo, to our favorite place to ride took us right past a complete 33 Plymouth Coupe, sitting in a guy's yard.

This was about 1983 or so....I was 14. I stopped and asked the guy if he'd sell it one time and he gave me a price of $700. When I got home, I asked my dad about it....he knew about the car and told me that it was a ridiculous price and to forget about it.

I've loved them ever since. I'll be following your thread as you work on this sweet coupe.

7. Jen......

Jen......

always wanted one of these cars and thought i never be able to afford one , thats when i seen this listed. still i have never tried to hammer out dents especially one with this many. for now i will gather parts and pieces for the car as i find them . hopefully i can find some doors soon as i like to have them to make this car more complete

Jen

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I would have done the same thing myself

9. Jen......

Jen......

a few more random pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Jen......

Jen......

a extra front fender that went with it , although its not for this car. mystery fender i call it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. hammer bowling

hammer bowling

Hope ya got it cheap.

12. Jim Sibley is the Chuck Norris of the metal working world. He can tig weld with his pee.

13. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

14. Jen......

Jen......

depends on your definition of cheap

thank you for link

thank you

Jen

15. I can see the potential for a beautiful car in that lump. Really though, I would bet that 75% of us on here would have bought it also, you aren't insane, just in love.

16. Jen......

Jen......

while i was there the person was getting alot of calls on it , if i didnt buy it i knew the next person would. i just have alot of learning to do on body work and have a very bad ear i must protect against noise.

Jen

17. F&J

F&J

This is good advice. Big crash damage needs to be "pushed" in the exact opposite direction of how it was hit.

Using a hammer or hand sledge will stretch the metal beyond words.

As you are pushing, you gently hammer/dolly on creases to help the pushing. As you start to dolly on the crease, the jack will loosen, so you need to maintain the pressure on the area with the jack. Some experience is real helpful, but if you start with some very small dents, you can learn so much.

I think, after seeing so many rough bodies found on hamb, this is a good one bcause it looks so solid...like was said already. I would say you done good :)

18. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Heck yeah I Like it......fond of the Plymouths.

19. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I have to factor in my age versus the amount one of these finds would take and I find that I buy better and better bodies the older I get,I don't want to spend what years I have left pounding on a crumpled, thrashed body.........more power to ya though!

20. 06 pitbull

06 pitbull
    from GA

nice jen...I'll shoot you a pm on how I would start on some of that damage...

21. lawman

lawman

You have a nice start !!!! Wish it was mine !!!!! LOL

22. Jen......

Jen......

i do understand and i have to consider my health as a factor as well. so this project wont be done over night like i would want it to be. it will just take time when i am able to do something then i will .

replied to , thank you everyone for your help and advice

thank you , i looked at how solid it was and so little rust out even though it has issues i feel its worth saving

Jen

23. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

So double up on your hearing protection, ear plugs and the ear muffs really work well. Then jack the body back into place while to hammer the creases.

You should see the junk I drag home and build. That one would have come home with me as well, even though I swear I'm not collecting anything any more. Gene

24. Jen......

Jen......

have some noise canceling ear muffs i purchased that do pretty well . if noise becomes to great they stop sound. i can always just turn them off then its quiet. well as quiet as it will get with this ringing inside which is driving me up the tree and off the cliff . just wish the doctors could do more for this as i hate it . have to use sleeping pills to sleep due to it

Jen

25. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Good for you!
    That Ol' Gal is just begging to be brought back to life !!
    Cheers........

26. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Early Plymouths are a good looking body style. lotsa options on how to build em

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. Jen......

Jen......

always loved your car . this one i plan to use fenders on it . the back ones just have dents no splits. the fronts have splits not sure on those . wish i had a tig welder as i think it will be needed

Jen

28. Master of None

Master of None

When you go to rough out some of the bigger dents, use a wood or plastic mallet. It will stretch the metal and not over shrink it like it will if you go to town with a BFH Metal has a memory, take your time most of it will come out by reversing the way the dents went in.

29. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Hell, While it doesn't look like much,that trunk lid is worth its weight in gold. Those things are always missing....