Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Willys Gas Coupe build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks mate

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I will try taping them in a few different positions tomorrow, cheers

3. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

I think it would be cool if you get some laser jetted in the same script as the Willys, then put it in front "Supercharged Willys"

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

I was thinking in front also, but that only works on the left side. No room on the other side, I bet.

I also think that too many have used those street-roddy supercharged badges, ruining it for the guy that hunts out the old unique ones like this.

Maybe on each side of the scoop opening, for the really uninformed?

5. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Now that's a thought, will try another look tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app

6. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thought of that but don't look right as the Willys script is raised Mark

7. killerbunny

killerbunny
    from serbia

Absolutely amazing...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>;)

8. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

good point.....unless we cnc made em.... jus kidding! whichever way you go, the car is badass!

9. Rodders

Rodders

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Mark

11. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

lookin good! i missed what width the rear rims are--if you could inform me plz:)

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think I'd mount the "supercharged" logos on each side of the scoop.

13. xracer40

xracer40

I think I would throw in a few extra jelly-filled doughnuts and wait see what Bigbossman could do with the space before I mounted the supercharger emblems.

14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

8" x 15" Brian

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

He just does what i tell him to do and where i tell him to do it, Well sometimes anyway :D

16. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Picked up a rather unusual line lock off Ebay (thanks to Rockit for spotting it} Its a MIco lever lock, basically a mechanical valve, they were first made in 1957 and used thoughout the 60's i'm told so ideal for my project.
    They were made by Minnesota Automotive Inc, I remember seeing some of them fitted to muscle cars in the early 70's but havn't seen one since.

[​IMG]

This one has sat around for years and was seized solid so I soaked it in plus gas for a few days and finally managed to get it apart, the main body is aluminium and has a steel sliding valve with an o ring seal, The bore was pretty corroded but cleaned up well after honing it clean. The valve was polished up and a new O ring fitted, bit of brake fluid and it was sliding nicely. The 5/8" UNF thread had been damaged but running a die down it restored it enough for the handle to screw back in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tag plate has unfortunately been butchered at some point but the details are all there and the Bigbossman has come to the rescue yet again and is going to print off a new tag face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lever was chrome and it was unusable so I made a new one in stainless round bar.

[​IMG]

The original supplied bracket was for fitting underneath the dashboard but was no good for my use as I need it mounted between the seats, I was going to make a box for it but I kinda like the open bare look so I made a new mounting bracket in stainless that will bolt to the floor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. farmer12

farmer12

Another masterpiece Steve, looking great!

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Now that is COOL. Never seen one of those before, it has oldtimey written all over it. I'll tell you what will make your car interesting to see in person. There is just so much going on that people will be climbing over and under it discovering all the neat little touches you built in. Wish it was over here so I could get to do that myself.

Don

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Cheers Eric, I was well pleased to pick it up.

21. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Don book yourself a flight and come see for yourself, We have a guest room and would be very pleased to see you. I can even show you the cobbled streets of London :rolleyes:

22. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

What you have there is an old timey piece, most commonly used in older tow trucks. I remember it in my first boss's truck......twin Holmes 500 booms, and a pto off the transmission to power the winch. This is well before the days of a hydraulic powered roll back. I'm talking cables and winches and snatch blocks. The lever would in theory lock all four wheels/tires so the truck wouldn't move as you winched the cat/truck out of the ditch, or from stuck in the mud. NICE SAVE!!!!

23. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Steve! great find, even greater mounting bracket!

24. n847

n847

That is awesome...I agree mounting it exposed is much better than hidding it in a box, and as usual you are the king of the polished stainless bracket!!!! That thing is awesome!

25. RodStRace

RodStRace

I think they were also used on forklifts...

26. ROCKIT

ROCKIT

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Yeah I saw that Shaun, it was pretty cruddy when I got it and thought the name was AMIco, did a search and found nothing, did a bit of clean up and found what I thought was an A was actually a little man pushing the name and sweating, it's a nice cool piece of detail.

28. Those brake locks were on larger construction telephone trucks, never saw one on a hot rod, I always thought they would make good line-locks

29. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

thanks langy----cool lever--and bracket and and and and :)

30. Man Steve, you rock buddy ;)