Register now to get rid of these ads!

Would you buy a truck and not want the title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 11, 2012.

1. A pal of mine relayed a story to me about selling his unfinished 41 Ford truck and the guy that bought it didn't want the title,,I dunno where it went or what kind of issues there are in other states but I know I wouldn't buy a car or truck without one! HRP

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I know of a man in Fl. that buys cars all the time and does not want the title. These are not cheap cars mind you, but expensive ones that are titled and are drivers.

He has an income of $1,000,000 a year and does not even ask what the price is before he buys it! Three friends of mine have sold cars to him sight unseen!

He even goes to the bank with you and pays cash .

3. I cannot imagine someone not wanting the title even if they live in a non title state. Sounds goofy to me.

4. If the truck was bought strictly for parts, why would you want the title? Legally, you cant sell it or transfer it to a different vehicle. if you tried to surrender it to the DMV, you would have to get it in your name first. that will cost you the taxes and then more $$$ to do the surrender paperwork.

5. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Id still want it because it goes with the vehicle.

6. davidh73750

davidh73750

if its something thats been sitting I wouldn't fret it. I can get an OKLAHOMA title in 4 to 6wks. Most my old cars don't have titles and its one of the first things I do that way if I sell it I don't hear griping about it. lol

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Sometimes it doesn't matter. Would you bang a chick & not give her a title?

8. I would think he would want the title even if he was parting out the truck, he could prove HE owns the truck with a signed title. Or least that the other owner signed the title over to him. ,,,strange.

9. You have to have a title in South Carolina no matter how old the car is if you plan on registering it and driving on public roads.

Going to the DMV here and tell them you don't have a title for a 41 Ford truck and if they issue one it will be for a 2012 Ford Truck,,and the taxes will reflect the new registration.HRP

10. I would of took anything he was given with the truck. That is strange.

11. cakes

cakes

This never happened to me, I have bought numerous cars without titles. Usually what is done is you fill out a form from the DMV and they make an appointment to have a state trooper inspect and verify the VIN or body identification number. Then in a few weeks a new title is issued to you from the DMV with the correct make and model of car with the proper year or manufacture.

12. All I can say is you are very lucky..I went through a bureaucratic nightmare with a car I bought from a widow in Georgia,,owner deceased,no title and I ended up selling the car to someone in Georgia after fighting with the DMV for almost 2 months. HRP

13. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

That doesn't make any sense. It is proof of ownership of the vehicle, regardless of what you intend to do with it. I would be suspicious as hell, as in maybe he's just going to use it to commit a crime.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't make any sense to me either as I have bought more than on hulk AD GM pickup just to get the title.
    Even if he has a title for a chassis that he is going to put the body on the clear title makes the left over frame more valuable to most of us.

15. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Thats just crazy why not just take the title and save the hassle later.

I have had to do that in North Carolina bur was unaware that SC did it.

16. I live in a non title state for cars earlier than 1975 and I would want the title if it had one. I would not need it to register it but I would not want someone out there driving a car built with my vin number on his title, he might be able to legally take my car. This does not pass the intelligence test.

17. Defies any reasonable logic..I mean really, they don't take up a lot of space, you don't have to feed them, or maintain them in any way, you just file it away. Now maybe if you had an allergic reaction to paper, and the potential for a paper cut..hmm.

18. shizzy

shizzy

I would be more concerned with someone having a vehicle (running or not) that is still technically in my name.

I either ride down to the DMV with the buyer or hop online and let the state know I've sold the car (here in MN, you can do that quite easily)

I've also never blinked twice when a seller has requested we meet at the DMV.

19. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Might be sending out of the states. They may not need the title in some countries!

20. whiskerz

whiskerz
    from Ga.

Here in Ga. They balk hard at even issuing a title for old cars . I have been told no more than once .

21. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Some states require only a bill of sale to prove ownership. Some require the BOS to be notarized and some don't. I've seen something as simple as a handwritten piece of paper pass at the courthouse with no problem. Depends on where you live. Does seem strange though. If there was one available I'd take it whether I needed it or not...

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, they need to get a 50 state standard.

23. um if there was a title i would want it. but i would still buy if it wasnet there.

24. noboD

noboD

Amen, to this thought. Many years ago I sold a truck at Carlisle to a guy from a non title state. All he wanted was a sales receipt. He was going to tear up the title and as far as PA. was concerned it would have still been my truck. I took him to the onsite notary and explained it to her. She filled out the PA. title, we signed it and she notarized it. Then she gave EACH me a photcopy of it. This way in the eyes of Pa. it wasn't my truck anymore, because I knew he was going to drive it home. as soon as we left her office he tore up the title

25. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I have had valid out of state titles and begged and pleaded with GA DMV to issue a title on an old vehicle and they simply will not do it so not sure what value the paper would have in a future transaction other than maybe establish a paper trail.

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

i agree with the 50 state standard, and even if he didnt need it then, if he went to sell it then wtf. seems sketchy